Drivers Door Lock Not Working Properly

Hi all,

I am looking for a bit of advice for my 2010 Octavia vrs mk2. Recently I have noticed when opening my drivers door, the interior lights do not come on and the dash light for the door being opened doesn’t show on the dash. I’ve had a look through the forums and it looks like the microswitch might have broken.

The question I have is if I was to buy a new door lock and fit it myself, would this fix the problem or is it best to just get a new microswitch and take the lock apart?

Are microswitches easy to fit?

Thanks,

Craig. 

Either way the entire lock assembly has to come out of car, I had the same problem as you last year, I bought the whole assembly for around £25 off ebay.

The micro switch on my old lock had worn down to the point it wasn't making contact.

Micro switch from dealer probably cost more than the whole lock assembly from ebay.

Decision is yours.

I would do either soon though as next stage is the alarm will start going off at random times because the car thinks the door is open after being locked.

Getting to the lock is a real ballache though as the door carrier needs to come out and that means drilling the rivets; the window mech needs disconnecting too. That's why I have two door microswitches sitting in a plastic bag in my tool box and not fitted to the door lock ☹️

I got the Skoda garage to replace mine as it is time consuming and not nice to do outside in winter weather. They also had to program the replacement door lock unit to enable the red/white light at the bottom of the door.

If the alarm still goes off, then it is a sign of the battery in the alarm unit has reached end of life. Replace the alarm unit with a cheap Chinese part. See past threads for details.