P067 Glow Plug Circuit

So one cold morning  the Engine Management Light came on and a scan with OBDeleven told me there was a P067 error code on Glow Plugs 1 & 4.

Cleared the error and it came back a day or two later. Drove the car away and booked it onto Main Dealer for Glow Plugs to be replaced and a service.

They had a look today and the Glow Plugs are very tight so they will need the car for an entire day to get the engine heated up to a high temp and then they are going to spray the glow plugs with some spray (the service receptions person's words not mine) but it'll be a big job if they snap. I'm guessing they'll heat up the engine and cool the plugs to try and break the seal.

So a hefty labour bill ahead, 65euro an hour. EML still on, They told me it's ok to drive away as car runs fine. If I clear the error and the weather warms up a bit will the EML stay off or am I destined to drive for the next while with the EML shining in my face :)

Are the Glow Plugs only used to help start the car on a cold day ?

Am I liable for the cost of any work if they snap ? - meant to ask them this, it's the reason I went to a main dealer with them, I thought they'd have the right equipment and skoda experience in case they were difficult. 

Car is 2015 1.6 diesel.

37 minutes ago, lway said:

Are the Glow Plugs only used to help start the car on a cold day ?

I thought this was the case but found out last year that they are used to assist with correct timing during running.  From a mechanical point of view they are not required in the same way as a spark plug is on a petrol engine but it will probably throw errors as it is expecting to be seeing healthy parts.

• Thanks 1

Glow plugs also energise post starting to help with combustion. You probably wouldn't notice much of a difference if you had a non-working set vs a working set. Its only recently where a glow plug error actually brigs up the EML, they used to log a code and sit in the background but as it probably affects emissions they have now decided it should bring up the EML.

You will foot the bill if they snap them off, and the best thing is, there is no incentive for them not to snap them off really.

• Thanks 1

Most of the posts on this I've seen mention a code / multiple codes with 1, 2, 3 or 4 on the end to suggest which plug is dodgy... Did they check/report the resistance of each plug?

Bit more info on them here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=79819 

I guess the spray will be that pipe freezing stuff. Luckily mine wasn't jammed when i changed one.

Any independents round you?

2 hours ago, lpt100 said:

Most of the posts on this I've seen mention a code / multiple codes with 1, 2, 3 or 4 on the end to suggest which plug is dodgy... Did they check/report the resistance of each plug?

Bit more info on them here http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=79819 

I guess the spray will be that pipe freezing stuff. Luckily mine wasn't jammed when i changed one.

Any independents round you?

Not sure exactly what they did, OBDeleven gave me P067100 & P067400 pointing to Glow Plugs 1 & 4 so I assume they did a scan as well. They just came back to me to confirm that glow plugs needed replacing.

Yeah, there's an indy near me which would be cheaper but i took it to the main dealer in the hope that they had the specific equipment and (obviously)  experience with Octavia engines to  be sure that they didn't break a glow plug or a tip snap and fall into the engine. I also was hoping (probably mistakenly) that if anything did go wrong then they'd be the best people to sort it out and maybe they'd cover, or help with, the cost of anything that did go wrong as they are the main dealers and skoda trained and insured mechanics.

I'll probably just end up giving it to the indy and taking my chances.

Ah yeah, sorry misread your post on the codes. 

It would be great if that was the case with Skoda Techs. I always assumed a good indi would have more experience at sorting out a problem like stuck plugs as they probably deal with more "older" cars rather than those inside warranty. 

• Thanks 1