Rear Damper mounts please help

The upper body mounting for the Octavia 2 rear Dampers comprise 2 x 8mm threaded holes . See picture

I have stripped one and the other feels on it's way out.

Does anyone know of a solution for repairing this?

Please help

P1120244.jpg

I changed my rear top mount few weeks ago and I to thought I stripped the thread but I cleaned the bolts with wire brush and lots of wd40 in the holes and they went back in. Maybe I was lucky or there were thread lock on them.

Only solution if there are stripped is to purchase a tap and die set to re-thread the holes.

Edited by Kris82
  • Like 1

Probably the easiest thing to do is drill the next size up and use a taper/plug/bottoming tap to cut the thread.

Access may be an issue.

If you're super stuck you could try some strands of fairly heavy copper wire wrapped around the bolt ensuring it holds to the recommended torque/add red thread lock...

Also had the situation on mine where I thought I had stripped one and cross threaded another. Decided to put on new top mounts which came with new bolts and all was fine. I think the bolts may be slightly softer than the thread I'm the hole so might be a good place to start?

• Like 1

Thank you all for you kind suggestions and I will work on them.

The original design  is such a scruffy bit of engineering I though there might be a standard solution.

If all else fails i will take the hole through the bulk head using a longer bolt and put a nut on.

My thanks again for your efforts and for coming back so quickley.

1 hour ago, David Heavey said:

Thank you all for you kind suggestions and I will work on them.

The original design  is such a scruffy bit of engineering I though there might be a standard solution.

If all else fails i will take the hole through the bulk head using a longer bolt and put a nut on.

My thanks again for your efforts and for coming back so quickley.

I don't know how much space there is to play with on the backside, it may be totally inaccessible.  Instead of a bolt all the way through you may need a length of threaded rod!

Time for a cheap/long masonry drill bit or weld a HSS bit on an extension of your choosing.

Good luck and do let us know how it turns out.