Automatic Light Fault

On 27/01/2020 at 13:12, wyx087 said:

Thanks. I've also got OBD11, haven't had the chance to do the scan yet, I'll post up the message when I get around to it. But sounds like we have same symptom and thus exact same fault. 

How do you get the errors in plain text from OBD11? I always assumed it comes from VCDS. 

You have VRS, so you should have lane departure warning camera and automatic highbeam would use the cameras. So possibly different sensors behind our rear view mirror. (or same sensor for headlight, and I have 2 broken sensors) 

Another question, have you changed your 12v battery over the years at all? I'm wondering whether the electronic failures could be due to unstable 12v. 

My car is due a new AGM battery, the old factory-fitted AGM drops down to 9v resuming stop/start and just sitting at traffic light for a few seconds engine stopped, battery goes down to 12.0v. That's even after fully charged and been connected to smart charger for days. I'm okay to let the car live on smart charger, but if it causes (or contributes to) broken electronics, I'll change the 12v battery. 

Incidentally, I see there's a 15% off sales and this is a very good price for Varta AGM: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varta-Silver-Start-Stop-Plus-AGM-096-Car-Battery-E39-fits-Volvo-VW-Next-Day-Del/361200433701

Also had to do a battery change in October so purchased this exact one from Tanya batteries website, very prompt & 1st class service, used OBD11 to code the battery, just change the rated battery capacity should the new battery be a different in (AH) change battery manufacturer to the correct brand & serial number to the following (1111111112) & that's it...Job done. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BATVANVRS said:

Just make sure that the one you purchase is of at least the exact same part number of the one you are replacing it for! or if it has a (A) (B) OR (C) as these are updated revisions etc...It wasn't until a month back that I noticed I was getting a humidity fault when reading with OBD11 & that was because of the sensor that I purchased did not match what my car was coded for! it was a ball ache but I got there in the end, I basically ended up buying another rain/light/humidity sensor but this time I purchased the correct part number of the one I needed (5Q0955547B) Also don't buy/purchase from this place https://www.cars-equipment.com/ Vaclav Pekar is the CEO/owner & cut a long story short sent me the wrong part number of an item even after confirming what was the correct part number to order, which cost me more but sent me a complete different one which was cheaper but most of all no good, then would not respond to any emails from me, which was the complete opposite behaviour prior to purchasing! Lucky I paid via paypal so had to open a claim to which he did not respond to at all...so beware.

Sorry the info might be late but forgot about this thread.

I shall have a look... Whats the best way to tell? Can I see off the original component without taking it all out? I'll have to have a look at how my mirror assembly comes apart. Thanks for the help!

I've ordered an A, and guessing mine is probably an A anyway as its a 2013 car.

Edited by Mikebham

1 hour ago, Mikebham said:

I shall have a look... Whats the best way to tell? Can I see off the original component without taking it all out? I'll have to have a look at how my mirror assembly comes apart. Thanks for the help!

I've ordered an A, and guessing mine is probably an A anyway as its a 2013 car.

you can tell via obd11, to which I can tell you how (if you have obd11) or the other way is to disassemble the rear view mirror, turn it anti-clockwise with a little pull down & it should drop down (if I remember correctly) then use some flat plastic blades to unclip the black housing, you will then see the sensor to the left, you might have to just slightly open the retainer clip either side in-order for the sensor to come away but be careful of the gel pad on the sensor that is then on the windscreen, let the air get at the gel pad for a few mins & that will come away easy enough, unplug the plug from the sensor & on the back of the sensor will be the part number, you might not have an (A) (B) or (C) if 2013 vehicle, it might just be the part number but replace it for the same part number & it doesn't matter if the new part number has (A) (B) or (C) at the end of it, just as long as the part number is a match, number for number, letter for letter. B)  

2 hours ago, BATVANVRS said:

you can tell via obd11, to which I can tell you how (if you have obd11) or the other way is to disassemble the rear view mirror, turn it anti-clockwise with a little pull down & it should drop down (if I remember correctly) then use some flat plastic blades to unclip the black housing, you will then see the sensor to the left, you might have to just slightly open the retainer clip either side in-order for the sensor to come away but be careful of the gel pad on the sensor that is then on the windscreen, let the air get at the gel pad for a few mins & that will come away easy enough, unplug the plug from the sensor & on the back of the sensor will be the part number, you might not have an (A) (B) or (C) if 2013 vehicle, it might just be the part number but replace it for the same part number & it doesn't matter if the new part number has (A) (B) or (C) at the end of it, just as long as the part number is a match, number for number, letter for letter. B)  

If you could recommend what OBDII you use, i take it its a bluetooth one with the app? I think its about time I invested in one!

Something like this maybe? eurocarparts OBD

Also, which app are you using?

The one from Ebay is on its way to me now, but it's free returns with Paypal anyway so its no biggie if i need to get a different one.

Thanks, Mike.

Edited by Mikebham
  • Like 1

On 02/12/2020 at 16:36, Mikebham said:

If you could recommend what OBDII you use, i take it its a bluetooth one with the app? I think its about time I invested in one!

Something like this maybe? eurocarparts OBD

Also, which app are you using?

The one from Ebay is on its way to me now, but it's free returns with Paypal anyway so its no biggie if i need to get a different one.

Thanks, Mike.

I use OBDEleven but the older model range (which is lower down within the link) The newer range/models (1st lot within the link) now support apple IOS where as before it was just android. 

https://obdeleven.com/en/products-page

Edited by BATVANVRS

• 1 month later...
On 02/12/2020 at 14:41, BATVANVRS said:

Ah bugger, looks like it's a 547,but not with any letter now I've finally got round to doing the job! 

20210116_171343.jpg

Edited by Mikebham

On 02/12/2020 at 14:41, BATVANVRS said:

14 hours ago, Mikebham said:

Any pointers in getting the brass retaining clip off though, I can't seem to get that bit to come away at all! 

Edit... Finally pinged off

I used a flat screwdriver (very thin on) to just open up the clips either side, you will see it  hear it ping open.

Fitting everything back is the same process but just in reverse order. sensor 1st & don't forget to plug the wires back in, the plastic housing, then the mirror but at this point I might of done the mirror then the plastic housing, you will see so either way will work. (Mirror will be clockwise upon fitting) & don't forget the mirror has a button underneath so make sure a green light is on. 

Edited by BATVANVRS

• 9 months later...
On 16/01/2021 at 16:59, Mikebham said:

Ah bugger, looks like it's a 547,but not with any letter now I've finally got round to doing the job! 

20210116_171343.jpg

@Mikebham I have the same sensor as yours (without any letter) and I am getting the following error. Which sensor part number did you used at the end and was the issue fixed? Thanks!

For me auto light works fine (notices sometimes they are on during the day recently), but wiper does not work!

1 Fault Found:
934149 - Rain/Light Recognition Sensor 
          B1366 76 [008] - Wrong mounting position
          Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 4
                    Reset counter: 232
                    Mileage: 102444 km
                    Date: 2021.07.03
                    Time: 16:53:15

20 hours ago, Vahids said:

@Mikebham I have the same sensor as yours (without any letter) and I am getting the following error. Which sensor part number did you used at the end and was the issue fixed? Thanks!

For me auto light works fine (notices sometimes they are on during the day recently), but wiper does not work!

1 Fault Found:
934149 - Rain/Light Recognition Sensor 
          B1366 76 [008] - Wrong mounting position
          Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 4
                    Reset counter: 232
                    Mileage: 102444 km
                    Date: 2021.07.03
                    Time: 16:53:15

I bought the  "NEW Genuine Volkswagen Rain Sensor Golf Passat Sharan Seat Leon Fabia 5Q0955559A" from the link in this thread on ebay and luckil didnt have any issues with it, and seems to be working fine still.

• Thanks 1