Parking sensors failed after rear knock

I had a rear end knock a while ago, my own fault hitting a wall in the dark. This had knocked a sensor loose, but I managed to reach up inside and tape the sensor back into place and it worked fine.

Last week a foreign lorry have me a love tap up the rear in heavy traffic, no additional damage bar a bit of an extra scuff however now all I get when I select reverse is a long high tone then nothing, no sensor beeps or visual image on the screen.

Is there anything I can try and do or inspect to try and get it working again until I get the whole bumper repaired when I have the cash, as it is useful with an estate.

If someone tapped your rear end then get it booked in to be repaired under their insurance ... job done.  It will be a condition of your policy that you have to inform them regardless of fault/wanting to claim etc.

The fact the sensor worked and now doesn't suggest something is damaged / a miss.

Apart from that check its plugged in properly - when i fitted my towbar i didnt plug one of the sensors back in properly and I had a similar thing happen.

I agree with ScoutCJB.

Had a similar thing happen, looked like a slight scratch as the bumper popped back out but caused some damage to the brackets and rigidity of the bumper. Cost the insurance £1500 for a new bumper to be fitted and sprayed with new brackets from a Skoda approved repairer.

19 hours ago, TeebsVRS said:

I had a rear end knock a while ago, my own fault hitting a wall in the dark.

2 hours ago, ScoutCJB said:

If someone tapped your rear end then get it booked in to be repaired under their insurance ... job done.

He'll have a hard job claiming off a stationary wall! Sorry! :)

31 minutes ago, NikTheGeek said:

He'll have a hard job claiming off a stationary wall! Sorry! :)

"Last week a foreign lorry have me a love tap up the rear in heavy traffic, no additional damage bar a bit of an extra scuff however now all I get when I select reverse is a long high tone then nothing, no sensor beeps or visual image on the screen."

Mind you....I expect that will be just as hard or even harder to claim from than the wall!

Thanks for the replies. The lorry actually caused no additional visible damage so I don't think I have any reason to claim on insurance. If I was a less honest person I could have chanced it with the original damage but won't in case lorry had dashcam etc. 

If there's no obvious things on the sensors to check to get them working again I will get whole lot fixed out of my own pocket sometime when I have a spare £600!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, themanwithnoaim said:

@NikTheGeek you've really gotta stop skim reading 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh yeah, look.

Jeez. I do that at work all the time too.

I must pay more attention

I must pay oh look, a butterfly

• Haha 2

Put the car in reverse just with the ignition on and lightly put your finger on the sensors one by one. You will feel a faint pulse from the ones that work and nothing from the faulty one. From there you can check your wiring or replace the sensor if needed.

12 hours ago, TeebsVRS said:

The Slovakian driver was not stupid. He could tell the damage was old so not worth risking it!

I'm confused.....you said originally the sensors were working before the 'tap' but not after? If this is the case surely he caused the damage?

• Like 2

On 29/01/2020 at 10:55, MeteorOcty said:

I'm confused.....you said originally the sensors were working before the 'tap' but not after? If this is the case surely he caused the damage?

The sensors have indeed stopped working now after the lorry tap, so he caused that yes. But not the cracked bumper.