Throwing out water vapour

I have a 2.5 year old petrol Vrs estate that has done 20,000 miles. I am very pleased with it

For the last several months I have noticed that when I accelerate hard it throws out a lot of water vapour. It looks a bit like a dodgy diesel throwing out stuff though obviously not as dark! It seems to happen when the engine is both hot or cold and when the ambient temperature is both hot or cold. In all other respects the engine has performed perfectly. I haven't tried it over an extended period as that's not my driving style but it does seem to happen every time.

I have never noticed this in any previous cars other than during the first minute or two. Does anybody have any observations or suggestions or am I worrying needlessly?

Many thanks

John R

The major products of the complete combustion of petroleum-based fuels in an internal combustion engine are carbon dioxide (13%) and water (13%), with nitrogen from air comprising most (73%) of the remaining exhaust. I understand that water vapour itself is colourless and assume that you are seeing it as it meets cold air outside and condenses. It follows that you are more likely to see this when you are burning more fuel and the weather is cold.

• Like 2

I've not had problems with water vapour on my previous VRSs, but I've noticed that I get water vapour out of the exhaust when giving it the beans on my f/l 245 DSG.

I think that it's not an issue.....unless anybody else says otherwise??

My 230 Hatch does it sometimes when you boot it, nothing to worry about - as long as no coolant is being used, it just appears to be condensation sitting in the exhaust system that is expelled. Once cleared it doesn't happen again for that journey.

I started a thread about it when it happened to me joining our local motorway.

Does make you wonder if it will be an issue long term with the exhaust system rotting from the inside out. 

1 hour ago, Gti Jazz Blue said:

My 230 Hatch does it sometimes when you boot it, nothing to worry about - as long as no coolant is being used, it just appears to be condensation sitting in the exhaust system that is expelled. Once cleared it doesn't happen again for that journey.

I started a thread about it when it happened to me joining our local motorway.

Does make you wonder if it will be an issue long term with the exhaust system rotting from the inside out. 

Mine does it.

Seems like it’s normal.My car is auto and steadily driven the revs don’t reach 2000 before it changes up,so perhaps that is something that means condensation stays in the exhaust longer.

I wouldn’t worry about exhaust system rot,they are all stainless now I believe?