Changing stereo

Hey guys,

Was wondering if it was simple to change the stereo?

Is it straight swop? (Bar maybe facia adapter or iso adapter)

Tried using search and found confusing canbus stuff

And also, I think it says MP3 on the front, does it play them off cd or does it take usb? And listing said something about Bluetooth telephone, is it just for hands free or would it stream music?

Cheers guys

It's very easy to remove the standard stereo and I think they all use a quadlock connector for the cables, and fakra connectors for the aerial(s). If you buy a stereo that's designed specifically for your car you won't need a fascia adaptor.

The factory stereos with a screen can show climate control settings and parking sensor distance, if your replacement stereo does not have a CANBUS decoder you will lose these functions

Even with you may not get the climatronic display but in my case it was no loss, the OE stereo never displayed it anyway and the climatronic display is sufficient.

The parking sensor display is much much better and even shows a correct birds eye view of my vehicle, the right colour and it being an estate, it shows the range setting of the individual sensors which is far far better than the standard set up, or maybe its just far clearer.

What I really like from the canbus is having fitted just a cheapo Ali-express reversing camera (integrated into number plate light) when reversing it shows the trajectory lines which move with the angle of the steering wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

picked car up today aand this is the stereo in it, plays mp3s from stereo and it has an aux port under the arm rest :)

On 02/02/2020 at 23:15, J.R. said:

The parking sensor display is much much better and even shows a correct birds eye view of my vehicle, the right colour and it being an estate, it shows the range setting of the individual sensors which is far far better than the standard set up, or maybe its just far clearer.

on the display it shows the reversing display but if i change the stereo will i still get the beeps? aslong as i get beeps i can live without the display

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-11 at 22.48.37.jpeg

And if its a Canbus enabled head unit which is either pre-programmed for VAG or it can be selected from the menu with the factory access code then you should get a birds eye view representative of your vehicle where you can see the ranges to the obstacle(s) for each individual sensor with them changing colour the closer they get.

It could be that that the monochrome display did actually show that but if it did it was too small or indistinct for my eyes to see it.

The other difference was without a reversing camera and 7or 8" screen I would have been looking in the mirrors or over my shoulder and not seen the radio display anyway, now I look at the screen to reverse by the image of the reversing camera, the parking sensor birds eye view display is right beside it.

You still need to look behind and most importantly all around you but once approaching the obstacle(s) then the screen has a better view.

To repeat the answer to your question, the audible warnings will be unchanged.

• Like 2

I had the same unit as you and replaced it with an Xtrons unit. After replacing it, everything works as it should without any fiddling. The buttons in the steering wheel, the car status, etc. 

In this unit you will not need to do anything. Just remove your radio and plug the new one. Make sure to use the cables that are supplied with the Xtrons to maintain the Aux-In functionality, or amplifier, video, etc. if you were to have any.

If you go for a different one like this one which I got mounted in my pre-FL Scout then you will need a fascia.

I am quite happy with my unit although it has been a week or so. I am thick as a log when it comes to cabling, wiring, etc. but I had no issues.

hope it helps

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/02/2020 at 11:16, kris_kristofferson said:

I had the same unit as you and replaced it with an Xtrons unit. After replacing it, everything works as it should without any fiddling. The buttons in the steering wheel, the car status, etc. 

In this unit you will not need to do anything. Just remove your radio and plug the new one. Make sure to use the cables that are supplied with the Xtrons to maintain the Aux-In functionality, or amplifier, video, etc. if you were to have any.

If you go for a different one like this one which I got mounted in my pre-FL Scout then you will need a fascia.

I am quite happy with my unit although it has been a week or so. I am thick as a log when it comes to cabling, wiring, etc. but I had no issues.

hope it helps

did you need any cable adapters for either of these because looking at the pictures of the back of them, they dont look like the back of my stereo

the 1st picture is the 1st link and the second picture is my stereo and they look different, (the xtrons looks like only the bottom half of my stereos plug)

pr18otsl--5_1.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-09 at 15.03.46.jpeg