Caravan Tuggers

Hi, Getting ready for my annual trek to France with my newly acquired Superb Estate 2017. Are there and problems that I might anticipate? The car has a Towsure detachable towbar fitted with electrics but as my van is in storage for the winter I can't link up atm.

I noticed a mention in the  car's handbook that seemed to hint that LED's can be a problem! This seems unlikely as I haven't had problems with my mix of LED and standard bulbs so far. The Nav site indicates that the previous owner has travelled widely in Europe.

Hi Sandgroper,

We have been caravanning for nearly 20 years, both around the UK and in France and Spain, usually towing about 5k miles per annum. We currently tow a Coachman Pastiche 460 (MPTLM 1350kg) with a 16 plate Superb III SLE Estate 190 manual. For the previous 5 years I had a 2010 Superb II estate 170. They have both been excellent tow-cars. There is plenty of power and torque when you need it and it is extremely stable even in some vigorous side winds. Thus you should have no problems at all.

The only issue worth a mention is the fitting of extension mirrors. I use Milenco Grand Aero mirrors, which, in my view, are well worth the outlay. I did have a problem two years ago with one mirror fixing slipping off the door mirror at speed. The door mirror is slightly bevelled and also has an indentation between the body of the mirror and the rim. The problem has been entirely solved by the use of the Milenco Aero F pads, which have a small ridge on the face of the pads, which fits into the indentation on the door mirrors. They seem hidden on the Milenco website and I have not seen them well publicised. I got mine from www.thecaravanshop.co.uk. The other tip is to attach the mirrors sometime before you travel and then re-tighten the fixing screws just before take-off. The rubber always compresses slightly further.

Bon Voyage.

Cheers

Paul R T

Many thanks Paul. Funnily enough I also use Milenco Aero's, though I haven't tried them on this car as yet. Your tip regarding the pads is a tip that I will follow up. I am just hoping that the previous owner has had the car's computer updated to take in the van's effect on the reverse sensors etc. Should have no trouble though, he seems to have been a pretty well travelled guy!

LED bulbs in the caravan lights might be a problem in that many early LED's didn't have resistors (cancelers) built in so may affect the bulb monitoring. One easy way to check if car is fully coded for the towbar is to unplug the trailer after locking the car (wait 30 secs or so) then the alarm should go off, I've heard that sometimes the trailer indicator warning light (should be no buzzer) can work if the car is coded only partially.

The reverse sensors would obviously only be an issue in reverse, so really only while pitching the van, so just pick a drive through pitch - lots in europe!

Reverse sensor is not the only one issue...

The OEM tow bar option implies several functions.

Indeed, once trailer is plugged,

- Reverse sensors shall be deactivated (as you mentioned)

- Reverse camera shall include trailer mode, to help you for maneuvers

- Rear fog lights shall be deactivated (to avoid light reflections on the trailer, that might dazzle you in the inner rear view mirror

- ESP shall activate anti-sway function (may be useful, when overtaking a big lorry or with strong side wind...

- may be other ones, that I can't remember...)

Hi, When the weather sorts itself out I will be doing a dummy hitch-up to check if anything needs changing. I never bothered to have my last car's computer modified so that in reverse I got the bleep every time. It just gets a bit of a nuisance!  Hopefully the previous owner if the Superb did a better job, time will tell. We are only doing a short tour this year, down to the Loire (family wedding duties call!).  

I have never had a problem with the car alarm triggering on the ferry. Will have to check if there is any thing needed to make sure that the Skoda behaves similarly. 

Hi Sandgroper,

Re car alarm - before shutting drivers door and locking the car, press the button halfway down the driver's side B pillar (yellow  light then comes on). This deactivates the interior monitor. We do this, as we leave a dog in the car on the short crossings.  I believe this also decativeates the tilt/movement sensors. Certainly our alarm has never gone off on a ferry having done this.

Cheers

Paul R T

54 minutes ago, Paul R T said:

Hi Sandgroper,

Re car alarm - before shutting drivers door and locking the car, press the button halfway down the driver's side B pillar (yellow  light then comes on). This deactivates the interior monitor. We do this, as we leave a dog in the car on the short crossings.  I believe this also decativeates the tilt/movement sensors. Certainly our alarm has never gone off on a ferry having done this.

Cheers

Paul R T

The motion sensor disable is a menu function on the MFD on an S3, oh and a second click of lock button does not disable the ultrasonics either.

1 hour ago, NJRJ said:

The motion sensor disable is a menu function on the MFD on an S3, oh and a second click of lock button does not disable the ultrasonics either.

According to the handbook, p24, it does and using a double click has worked when we've left our 2 dogs in the car.  Having said that, ours are prolific sleepers so perhaps their zzzzzzzzzzzzz don't activate internal monitoring.😁

Settings
The following functions of the alarm system can be
deactivated once.
▶ Interior monitoring.
▶ Towing protection.
Deactivation will also switch off the SAFE function
» page 21, Functionality.
Deactivation
By double locking within 2 seconds.
Or:
....... Menu method as described
The functions of the alarm system must be deactivated
if the vehicle is being towed or transported,
for example.
The functions of the alarm system are reactivated
after the vehicle is unlocked and locked again.
24 Keys, locks and alarm system › Alarm system

On 08/02/2020 at 22:12, Bap33 said:

may be other ones, that I can't remember...)

On mine in addition to what you've mentioned:-

• Rear traffic alert (disabled)
  • Blind spot monitor (disabled)

Obviously could be model specific depending on options purchased!

10 hours ago, z1ts said:

On mine in addition to what you've mentioned:-

• Rear traffic alert (disabled)
  • Blind spot monitor (disabled)

Obviously could be model specific depending on options purchased!

Oh, you're right! I had forgotten these 2 functions.