Keep or move on?....

Hi guys,

Just had a new MOT on the trusty Mk2 today with advisories for a couple of low tyres and a child seat fitted. But, it’s had a few issues and it’s starting to cost a fair bit to put things right. It’s a ‘56 PD105 BXE Elegance. Not in the best of condition, but fairly tidy for its age and miles.

The past 18 months has seen a new turbo, both front suspension arms and arb links, new rear disks, pads and callipers on both sides and a new clutch/DMF. It’s on coil overs, but not silly low, and has the original alloys as well as a set of 17” Scirocco alloys.

However...it’s done 183k now (I know it’s half way through life!), the DMF is failing again (Lesson learnt, never even think of considering Techniclutch!), it ideally needs 4 new tyres (has different front and rear wheels atm), flywheel needs replacing again soon, front brakes could do with replacing at some point (Not particularly low but feel warped if breaking fairly heavy), EML is on due to EGR system being removed when the new turbo went on, ABS system lights up after 10 mins of driving (Exactly 10 mins from ignition on, every single journey), fuel system needs bleeding and it appears the injector loom is damaged too (Feels like it’s missing at idle, goes away if any pressure is put on the acc pedal). Brakes I can do myself but the others I’d need to take somewhere. I haven’t tackled the bleeding as from what I understand I need to slacken injector 3...if that breaks that’s the car gone! Only seems to affect starting though. The garage that MOTd it also advised a top mount and rear bush looks like it’ll start giving signs of wear soon (Which makes sense as there’s a knock at the front and rear on rough ground). Also the rear tracking is miles out! The EML can be turned off for a day or so, that’s why it’s passed MOTs with it.

Do I take a hit and put another £1k into it? Move it on to someone who can do the bits themselves? List it’s issues and stick it on eBay? Scrap it? Overall it’s never let me down, always got to wherever I’m going apart from once when the alternator failed a couple of years ago.

Seems a hard decision, I’ve had it for 5 years...I get attached to vehicles which never appears to be healthy! 

Edited by MereKat
  • Like 1

Only you can really answer your question? Keep or move on. It certainly seems to have a number of faults, all of which add up to more than the sum total of the value of your car. As you have a years MOT on it, you potentially have another years use out of it. Personally I’d get a quote for getting the suspension, brakes and fuel system sorted plus the tyres and make a decision. 

I can understand you being attached to your car, but maybe a time comes when it is economically unviable to keep maintaining it. 

That’s my thinking, it’ll be around £500-600 for a new flywheel alone, the loom is apparently DIYable but very awkward but only around £50. £200ish for tyres, probably an hour or so labour for the fuel system if the injector comes free ok (who knows what if it breaks!), £200ish to map the egr out properly, no idea what the ABS cause is, apparently it’s likely to be a broken wire in the front loom somewhere?, bushes and top mounts I’d imagine would be around £100-150 with fitting...

For what it’ll cost I could take a chance on a nicer version of the car with a decent history, or even have a look at a 147 diesel that’s been offered very cheap (And very well looked after)...

But then if I do spend out on it again, what else is there to go wrong and cost more again?...

Bloody cars!

We way I see it, is you need to spend £1000+ (and could be more), and that is just the obvious faults.  

At some stage in next few months there might be more things needed, so lets assume probably £1200-1500 over next 11 months.  Then you have the worry of another MOT.   I think you may as well drive it a few more weeks without doing any work, but accept you are now needing to pay an average of £120 per month to patch it up.   I think you would be better putting that £120/month into a newer car.

My suggestion (and bear in mind I haven't seen the car) is you don't spend any more money on it, keep running it for a while, and start looking for something else.  There is always a bit of a glut of used cars and trade-ins just after a registration change so wait until second half of March to try and pick up a bargain.   If you don't need a big car, can get a smallish new car (with servicing, warranty covering repairs included) for £40-80 more per month than the £120/month you would need to spend on current one.

As an example could save your £1000 repair bill, spend £700 instead, then under £160 per month and have a brand new Octavia (annual tax included)

https://leasing.com/independent-brokers/leasing-options-limited/skoda/octavia/437771497/

The bonkers economics of the lease are because a new Octavia is due, and this is dumping the stocks of current one.

Edited by SurreyJohn

As much as it goes against the grain its a "sell" from me as well, deciding factor being that you would be paying a garage to do most of the work and it could well cost a lot more if they dont really know what they are doing, if they play parts bingo or if some faults are truly very difficult to diagnose.

The one great advantage that you have is the years MOT, it will be appealing to someone knowledgable/handy knowing that they can drive it straight away and even for the whole year if they dont succeed. On that basis it may be bought by someone practicing "bangernomics" who wont even try to repair it and who will get £100 back at the scrapyard or more if they break it after a years motoring. That is of course an option for yourself given that you know all about the car and its history that a buyer wont be confident of.

Changed my mind, - smoke it around for a year and dont spend a penny on it 😀

To give you an idea of value without an MOT, I bought my identical car but with lower mileage (probably half) and BKC engine 18 months ago needing work for the MOT including a broken engine mount that their garage said required the engine block to be replaced and was happy to pay £750 for it although they kept quiet about the garage report, I got £110 at the scrapyard for my MK1 as a drive in although scrap prices fluctuate.

As long as the car is safe to drive and obviously the MOT tester considers that it is, it is worth keeping it going as long as possible for a minimal outlay.....

Interested thread. Reading about high mileage cars is far more interesting than the new fancy ones. 

I agree.

1st world problems like "I cant sync my i-phone" or "Skoda assist does not work" or discussions about any of the 3 letter acronyms that when they work are piloting modern cars allowing the so called drivers to concentrate on seemingly more important "connected" things, these have little interest for me other than pity or dismay.

Then there is a whole new subset who just rent their vehicles under one Ponzi scheme or another whose only input towards maintenance is drinking coffee in the dealerships while they are being serviced or repaired under guarantee and which are taken away and replaced before ever becoming the (not) owners responsability.

Haha I guess the influx of new cars over the past few years does make for some dull reads! And new drivers today seem to struggle pointing out the screen wash cap!

Interesting opinions here though, in regards to safety it drives as well as it always has. It’s been very surprising with how well it handles for an estate, always holds the road fine and over the years I don’t recall any time where it’s not held on. I haven’t had any high end cars, but I’d almost put this on par with my old 16v Golf GTi which was very very nice to briskly drive around backroads!

Mechanics wise, I’m not afraid to tear it apart and do whats needed myself, I just don’t have the time or space I do it. Plus if something was to go wrong I don’t have any options of transport where I live. If something at a garage happens I can borrow a van from work for a few days. The garage behind my workplace has all sorts going in and out, including a fair few newer Mercs and BMWs so I’m fairly confident in their knowledge of German over-engineering.

That “There might be more things needed” is the difficult part. I do indeed know this car just about as well as I know the back of my hand, which is a good thing as well as a bad thing, as I know when something isn’t quite right with it!

A new car would be rather nice, for a little while, new cars just seem so bland these days, however this time every year is where money is spent on a 0% Credit card which is payed off in full in June when a work bonus comes in, a set monthly amount for a new car isn’t viable at the moment.

I may have a drive of the 147, see what it’s like. General consensus says they’re brilliant cars with very good engines so it’s a strong possible option! I may then put the octavia in the garage and do what I can when I can and maybe get it back to how it was when I bought it! Once cleaned inside and out it’s scrubs up Ok, apart from the fact it’s dark green it’s a fairly nice looking motor!