VRS 220 Coolant Use

My VRS 220 is using coolant. Not much, reservoir needs a top up every couple of months. This seems unusual and has not been an issue on other cars I have owned. Their is no evidence of oil water emulsion on the inside oil filler cap and the car runs perfectly. I can't see any evidence of leaks anywhere.

Car is a standard MY2016 with 27k miles, do I need to worry?

Cheers,

Rich

I had the same kind of problem on my 1.8 (almost same engine). The leak was coming from the auxiliary electric coolant pump which was dripping slightly. I is located behind the engine, almost under the turbo.

20170731_182221.jpg

Leaky leak leak for sure. Ive had this problem on mine since I bought it 4 years ago. The pump (auxiliary) was replaced under warranty. All was good. Not 12 months later it began to loose coolant again, albeit very slowly this time. Dealer cannot locate the leak and just top it up despite me asking several times. In fairness to them I've looked myself all over and under the engine at every possible location and I cannot find a leak, I've also done a pressure test on the system, as has the dealer, which yielded nothing. Wherever it's leaking, it's doing it very very slowly and/or only under specific conditions.

If yours is under any warranty then get them to look harder, otherwise it's probably more cost effective to top it up occasionally than start have things dismantled to find the leak, so long as there's no evidence of it leaking into the oil it's unlikely to do any harm.

I have had my petrol VRS for 5 years now and mines has always done this even after replacing the water pump which had failed. Skoda looked when the car was in warranty and could not find the leak. The independent garage that I use has did the same to no avail. I just learnt to live with it and check coolant every couple of weeks. 

Edited by bhoywonder

Thanks for all the replies. It's well out of warranty and with the leak as slow as it is, I would not be that keen for anyone to start taking apart stuff that is not causing problems to get to the water pump anyway.

I will live with it for the time being - after all, that new hybrid vRS looks really nice...