Black Sportline going more black

weldion

The question is which look better and give you the best protection? I guess it’s down to individual preference. If anybody could provide a few close-up photos of both types fitted it would be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Neil1 said:

The question is which look better and give you the best protection? I guess it’s down to individual preference. If anybody could provide a few close-up photos of both types fitted it would be appreciated.

I think the pictures in this thread gives you a pretty good view how the normal mudflaps look on a black Sportline.

Myself, I prefer the normal ones in the rear. Protects my trailer better for exemple.

Depends on if you prefer looks over function. That said I've had no problem with dirt accumulation with the Sportline flaps.

image.thumb.png.a33ab80fa76ece5f2a6c5f2561fad96b.png

Edited by ZacDaMan72
added image

Hi Neil

they are the Sportline rear mud flaps, I’m not sure if the normal ones fit as I think the rear bumper style is slighlty different to a normal Kodiaq?

might be worth checking though.

superskoda online sell the 2 types

I've never understood the Kodiaq SportLine rear mudflaps, they don't look particularly effective.

Given that Skoda have received criticism in the past for not developing any mudflaps to fit some of their models (Scout & vRS versions of the Octavia) it just goes to show how strange their decision to develop two sets for one model derivative was 🤔

3 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Depends on if you prefer looks over function. That said I've had no problem with dirt accumulation with the Sportline flaps.

Dirt accumulation is not the problem.

Just took a picture.

Car is March 2019 made.

2020-05-03 14.36.15.jpg

Yes, polishing will follow.

Car is ceramic coated but I guess only the metal parts of body. Bumbers are going to get some carnauba wax. Not sure I am going for a protection film.

And probably change sportline flaps to normal ones.

I`ve seen 'the same pictures in Octavia and Superb forums, so seems to be quite usual for Skodas.

It`s winter - salt and snow and all the tiny dirt salt melts up from asphalt.

Told bfore several times that Skodas`s paintwork is very low quality.

After a year Kodiaq (and so was Superb) is full of little scratches when all my previous Mondeos were like new after 3 years of expluatation.

Edited by linni

Thank you all for the response to my question. I think I’m going to fit the normal flaps the same as I have on my SEL. Take care and stay safe.

What is this!?

image.png.d236135165356574bb916feeab7f2752.png

This looks like really poor car washing. Are you washing the car yourself or using one of those drive-thru tyre set-ups?

image.png.425f7db7b2a934f197d76bd06f3b7717.png

This is worn out surface. Sanded by sand on roads.

Sand and chlorides are used here in wintertime.

Washing: using this and that.

It`s not poor washing, this is bitumen / tarmac. Chlorides which are used here to fight with ice on the roads melt the tarmac and  lots of it end up on a car body. We have tons of "asphalt melting / cleaning" fluids for sale in shops because of that. Even in groceries. Great business.

Hasn`t done proper tarmac cleaning lately. But will do next week before waxing.

Edited by linni

Wow, so that dulling of the paintwork is permanent, the constant sand blasting has dulled and destroyed the paint?

This must be what happened to the red Skoda Superb in this thread too, demonstrating the mudflaps do very little if anything to protect against it...

Yes, it`s permanent util you polish it. Unfortunately you cannot do endless polishing, one moment the paint layer will come to end.

Having car serviced right now, will change Sportline rear mud flaps to normal ones. Guys at dealership told it`s possible, only they have to cut a bit the flaps.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, linni said:

Yes, it`s permanent util you polish it. Unfortunately you cannot do endless polishing, one moment the paint layer will come to end.

Having car serviced right now, will change Sportline rear mud flaps to normal ones. Guys at dealership told it`s possible, only they have to cut a bit the flaps.

I have the normal ones and I can't see that they have been cut in anyway. Got them mounted by the dealer when I got the car.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, linni said:

They look better than the SportLine specific flaps, hopefully they'll offer a little more protection.

I think your dealer might have been mistaken though, the regular rear flaps do not need cutting to fit the SportLine, they're a direct fit like they are on all Kodiaq's. That section of the bumper is the same for all models.

I always thought the mixture of salt and grit used on the roads in the UK was bad, but at least it doesn't wear the paint away 😦

gritter spreading grit mixture on UK road

• 2 months later...

Just to add to this, I was looking at mud flaps and yes UK dealers charge £51 whereas they're 20 Euro from Superskoda.  But then I find the same Kodiaq flaps available for 15.30 Euro at a main Skoda dealer in Ireland with a 15 Euro delivery charge to the UK.

Ever get the feeling us Brits are being taken to the cleaners?

Is that a definite YES then? Can ordinary Kodiaq mudflaps be fitted to SportLine and vRS without modification?

54 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Just to add to this, I was looking at mud flaps and yes UK dealers charge £51 whereas they're 20 Euro from Superskoda.  But then I find the same Kodiaq flaps available for 15.30 Euro at a main Skoda dealer in Ireland with a 15 Euro delivery charge to the UK.

Ever get the feeling us Brits are being taken to the cleaners?

Is that a definite YES then? Can ordinary Kodiaq mudflaps be fitted to SportLine and vRS without modification?

The dealer installed my mudflaps, so I can’t say to 100%, but I can’t find any signs of modifications to them.

I just told them to install mudflaps and they put on the normal ones without charging me for it.

On 01/08/2020 at 13:55, Scot5 said:

It is definite yes.

I once had a Ford who use ppf just in front of the rear wheel arch. They located it there because apparently due to the design, the front wheels were throwing stones on to that area and causing damage. The solution was all cars now came with clear plastic coating.

After about a year I noticed a mark appearing under the plastic so took it to the garage. What had happened was the film wasn't 100% flat therefore moisture was getting in and was trapped. The mark I saw was actually the first signs of rust 😲  Ford admitted fault and fixed it under warranty. They believed there may have been surface contamination before the ppf was applied during production.

Moral of the story is make sure that ppf has been applied correctly. That said, if it's only a plastic bumper then no worries.

Edited by Guest