Skoda Scala top speed limiter?

M4C1N0

HI all,

I am fighting with a very stupid issue right now.

Over the weekend I went to drive around in my Scala (1,5 TSI 6 speed manual) and I wanted to see what she's got. I had to find out that the top speed is electronically limited well below what it says on the paper. I know many of you will jump and say it's not necessary to even have that kind of a top speed and others will say that it's various factors that influence the ability of a car to reach it's top speed, so let me unpack here a bit.

*DISCLAIMER* -  I did all of this driving on an empty highway at night and I was the only one in the car. I was the only one who was in any "danger".

I am 100% sure that there is a limiter. On the stretch of highway where I drove there is a small hill up and then a hill down. I was pinned at 209km/h - 210km/h (indicated speed - NOT gps speed) on the way up the hill and the same speed when going downhill. This already doesn't make sense. To be even more certain I switched the digital dashboard to the view where you can see the power utilization of the engine, and while on the way up the small hill it was at 110 kw, on the way down it started to go down to 90 - 100 kw. This is the same behavior as when you use the speed limiter function and approach the desired speed.

It might seem like I am "just 10km below the advertised top speed" but that is not true. The 210km/h is indicated speed. GPS said that I was going 197km/h and the car is supposed to be doing 220km/h. That is a 10% difference between what is advertised and what is actually possible.

My issue here is that I was never told there would be a limiter, I cannot find anything about a limiter and my cars registration papers say that the car is able to do 220km/h. The last one is the reason why I have to buy tires rated for 240km/h (V speed rating). These tires are more expensive than the ones rated for 210km/h (H speed rating). If I still use the H-rated tires I am risking fines if the polices stops me, or simply failing the technical inspection.

So this is where I come to the questions that I am having:

1) Has anyone heard about a speed limiter like this? (except of cars like some  Audi RS models, and some AMG models which can go well above 250km/h but are limited to 250km/h only)

2) Is this something which was put in place by the dealer, or from skoda?

3) Is it possible to remove the limiter with VCDS or VCP?

4) Am I missing something? - I thought it might be some break-in limiter but I have seen videos on youtube showing that people with 750 km driven were able to achieve the top speed. My car has 3700km already, before anyone points out I shouldn't be running the car at those speeds in the break-in period :D

@M4C1N0   I see it says in articles in the UK that the max speed is 136 mph.

?

Is that the same for all specs of 1.5TSI 6 speed manual regardless of which suspension / clearance they have from the factory?

?

I see reviews online with the Journalist being all over the place on if the car is higher or lower. 

Surely if the dropped or standard suspension is fitted makes a difference to the maximum speed / grip / down force / efficiency through the air.

?

So is your car running on 95 ron unleaded fuel?

** A DSG, but in S so 6 speed, and not 7 as when in D.**

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

23 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@M4C1N0   I see it says in articles in the UK that the max speed is 136 mph.

?

Yes. Mine says its 220km/h (137mph) and I have it written in the registration papers from my car. So that should be the actual top speed the car can be moving at. Not what is displayed.

Is that the same for all specs of 1.5TSI 6 speed manual regardless of which suspension / clearance they have from the factory?

?

Not sure. I think there might be differences based on the weight transmission etc. But as I mentioned, my registration says 220km/h (137mph) and that paper in my country shows the actual data about the car. So the actual weight, noise levels, equipment etc. which is basically a certification that my country has validated that data (sorry if it's the same everywhere else I just want to be clear that I am not basing things on the Skoda brochure).

I see reviews online with the Journalist being all over the place on if the car is higher or lower. 

Surely if the dropped or standard suspension is fitted makes a difference to the maximum speed / grip / down force / efficiency through the air.

?

Yes! and I am 1000% aware that my car might not be the same as the other ones. Tires, wind speed, air temperature, road, fuel and a lot of other factors influence what I will be able to achieve. I would not be on here if I wouldn't be 100% sure that my car is electronically limited. As I mentioned, I achieved the speed of ~200km/h (124mph) going up a slight hill. Therefore going down the other side of that hill would mean that I can get at least a few km/h above it but I can't AT ALL. Also as I said the power utilization of the car goes down when going down hill which tells me that the car is not using the full available power when it is about to break that ~200km/h (124mph) barrier although my foot is planted well down. This can ONLY occur when the car has an electronically set speed limit.

From my experience I was able to go

227 km/h (141mph) [INDICATED speed] with a Kodiaq that has a top speed of  210km/h (130mph)

195km/h (121mph) [INDICATED speed] in a Rapid with a top speed of 183km/h (113mph)

215km/h (133mph) [INDICATED speed] with an Octavia that has a top speed 205 km/h (127mph)

on the exact same piece of road in very similar conditions. All three of those cars showed that I am going faster by about ~10 km/h (~6mph) but the GPS showed they were just about hitting their advertised top speeds. The Scala on another hand is by 10% below what was advertised. And it's not even that that exactly bothers me. I would be perfectly fine to have that top speed, but then I don't want to be forced to buy tires rated for a higher speed  (ergo more expensive) only because the registration says 220km/h (137mph).

So is your car running on 95 ron unleaded fuel?

Yes. 95 Ron with up to 10% of ethanol as my country want's to become very green and ecological (pardon my sarcasm). I still don't think the fuel has too much of a play here. I am not discussing a difference of 1-2 mph between the advertised and actual top speed but rather ~20km/h and a speed limiter I was told nothing about.

• Haha 1

@M4C1N0  What is your country ?,

as i know nothing about registration papers that give manufacturers Max Speed or Max Nm torque, just ones that state bhp / ps or kW power.

?

What rpm was showing up the incline and what going down the other side with the accelerator to the floor?

PS

Are you sure your car has not got 'the speed limiter' set, and that you can reset it?

Or is that not something your car came with.

22 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@M4C1N0  What is your country ?,

as i know nothing about registration papers that give manufacturers Max Speed or Max Nm torque, just ones that state bhp / ps or kW power.

?

I am from Slovakia. We have a field called "Maximum construction speed" and then power of the engine in kW and the RPMs at which it's able to achieve it, but not engine torque.

What rpm was showing up the incline and what going down the other side with the accelerator to the floor?

Ughh.... no clue :D I was paying attention to other things at those moments :D

Are you sure your car has not got 'the speed limiter' set, and that you can reset it?

Yes, I am 100% sure (see below for the conclusion as I talked to the dealer). I had a suspicion it might be the ACC as it can work only up to 210km/h so I disabled it. Same result. Then I suspected it might be the Winter tire warning, and that it's more than just a warning. Wasn't that. Tried disabling traction control and front assist. Same result.

Or is that not something your car came with.

Well It was bugging me so much that I wrote an email to the dealer. Surprisingly the service manager from there was quite quick to reply to my email with a call... and... well... He told me that, yes, my car is "certified" to achieve a top speed of 220 km/h (137) but "from factory" it comes limited to a tiny bit below 200km/h (124mph). And the only thing how to get rid of the limiter is to "chip it" (his words), but I would be loosing my warranty.

I am not sure if this is supposed to calm me down or **** me off completely. From where I am standing this is just plain false advertising.

• Thanks 1

The EU is considering mandatory speed limited cars. Volvo have already stated their cars will be limited to 180 kph on model year 21 onwards. There is a gentleman's agreement between German manufacturers in place that limits most cars to 155mph.

Perhaps VAG are simply moving proactively, or maybe its something obscure with EU emission laws. Check also whether Slovakia have any regulations recently introduced.

It might also be yet another 1.5tsi issue to add to the list it suffers from.

I agree it should be openly declared in sales literature.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/4/18246665/volvo-top-speed-limit-112-mph-kmh-models

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, xman said:

The EU is considering mandatory speed limited cars. Volvo have already stated their cars will be limited to 180 kph on model year 21 onwards. There is a gentleman's agreement between German manufacturers in place that limits most cars to 155mph.

I knew about that, but I heard there is a 4 - 6k fine for any car that exceeds 155 (250kmh) for "environment protection". Therefore AMG, BMW and Audi were adding an extra charge to the purchase price (upon request) to have the limiter removed.

Regarding Volvo I completely agree. But Volvo is upfront about that and I am pretty sure they will not advertise the cars top speed as "able to achieve 300 km/h" when it reality it's not.

Perhaps VAG are simply moving proactively, or maybe its something obscure with EU emission laws. Check also whether Slovakia have any regulations recently introduced.

I tried looking it up and there is NOTHING. Not for Slovakia neither for Skoda. I signed nothing which would say something like this, that the car will be limited. I didn't even receive any verbal information about that.

It might also be yet another 1.5tsi issue to add to the list it suffers from.

I don't believe it's a fault of the 1,5 Tsi. I found literally NOTHING on any car being limited in it's top speed other than AMGs, BMWs, Audis and generally cars that are able to drive in excess of 155mph.

I do not know how fast a car falls in free fall.  like if it goes over a cliff.

Someone will know.

As to Max Speed, Max Power / Torque. 

The figure should be the minimum maximum speed a car can do with max revenue weight carried on the flat with no head, tail or cross winds..

Maximum PS / Nm torque is actually the least PS / Nm torque an engine can achieve in less than perfect conditions on good fuel and not just at sea level or average ambient temps.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

I do not know how fast a car falls in free fall.  like if it goes over a cliff.

Someone will know.

As to Max Speed, Max Power / Torque. 

The figure should be the minimum maximum speed a car can do with max revenue weight carried on the flat with no head, tail or cross winds..

Maximum PS / Nm torque is actually the least PS / Nm torque an engine can achieve in less than perfect conditions on good fuel and not just at sea level or average ambient temps.

So we understand each other.

The problem here is that I was promised one thing and yet now I got a guy from the Skoda dealership telling me that "yes the car is limited to 124mph and if you want it to go the advertised speed you need to pay more and loose warranty".

@M4C1N0    Verbals are not worth the paper not written on.   Ignore anything not in writing from Salespeople. 

Then as you know take what is in print with a pinch of salt.

Maybe go borrow a demonstrator with a DSG a v max that.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@M4C1N0    Verbals are not worth the paper not written on.   Ignore anything not in writing from Salespeople. 

Then as you know take what is in print with a pinch of salt.

Too late for that advice now :D

1 minute ago, xman said:

You need to send a written complaint to Skoda Slovakia. No point in talking to the dealer. Get the official story, let us all know and make public.

You could be due compensation  from Skoda or even entitled to reject the car but I don't know what EU or Slovakian consumer law would say.

Yeah, I am stuck between "f*** this s***" and  "I want to blow it wide open". I really want to keep the car as the top speed wasn't the reason why I bought it and I am afraid that they will need to "take it in for an expertise".

@xman - Nah already tried that. 

1 hour ago, M4C1N0 said:

Yes, I am 100% sure (see below for the conclusion as I talked to the dealer). I had a suspicion it might be the ACC as it can work only up to 210km/h so I disabled it. Same result. Then I suspected it might be the Winter tire warning, and that it's more than just a warning. Wasn't that. Tried disabling traction control and front assist. Same result.

Plus the service guy said in no uncertain terms it's limited. Not even a hesitation or a mention of the ACC.

1 minute ago, xman said:

I think its down to front assist still being active

Tried that as well.

1 minute ago, M4C1N0 said:

Edited by M4C1N0

Maybe when they finaly get around to limiting top speeds we wont have to pay for and drive on expensive tyres that we would have to break the law to get any benefit from.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Long story short,

Do you go above 120 mph often and is it important?

What is the max speed with the car full of nearest and dearest and stuff in the boot with a tail wind down hill?

:D aaand another one in the bunch.

I mentioned it multiple times. It's not about the top speed. I would be perfectly ok with the top speed being what it is.... EVEN less.

My problem is that I am forced to over-pay for tires.  Just go and look at the prices of tires. The same size, same manufaturer, same model, same everything except, one with a speed rating V (which I have to buy now) and one with the speed rating H (which I would be able to buy based on the current top speed).

Sure I can shrug my shoulders and move on. It will not bankrupt me, and neither will it make me a millionaire. But how far are we willing to let companies screw us over things we actually pay for? I don't have to fight against what Skoda had done but also against a barrage of people telling me that I do not need that speed either.

Edited by M4C1N0

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Maybe when they finaly get around to limiting top speeds we wont have to pay for and drive on expensive tyres that we would have to break the law to get any benefit from.

Not in my case. I still have to buy the more expensive tires if I want to comply with the law in Slovakia as the registration says the car can do 220km/h (137mph).

Sure I can "risk it" and buy the cheaper ones. There is even a chance no police officer will ever check the tires, but once they do it will cost me a lot more than buying the expensive tires. This is just a loose loose situation.

• Like 1

I can access front assist enable/disable on the maxidot via steering wheel right hand thumbwheel on my Superb. Its definitely an additional item to ACC disable which is simply pushing Cruise stalk forward.

Check it out on yout car

Edited by xman

Tyres come with higher speed rating than vehicles can achieve anyway.   You live with that, or moan and still live with it.

People remap cars, and lift restrictions as it is now.

I would think was a Scala the right car for me.     I am surprised anyone gets a 1.5TSI Manual and never knew VW screw people over.

1 minute ago, xman said:

I can access front assist enable/disable on the maxidot via steering wheel right hand thumbwheel on my Superb. Its definitely an additional item to ACC disable which is simply pushing Cruise stalk forward.

I know which one.

I turn it off via the driving assist button and then un-checking the the box "Front assist". I get a yellow warning light and a special front assist light in orange that says it's off.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Tyres come with higher speed rating than vehicles can achieve anyway.   You live with that, or moan and still live with it.

People remap cars, and lift restrictions as it is now.

I would think was a Scala the right car for me.     I am surprised anyone gets a 1.5TSI Manual and never knew VW screw people over.

I seemed to be quite clear that I was asking for help in finding out what is wrong. Not people telling me "to get over and stop moaning" :D

3 minutes ago, xman said:

Then write to Skoda Slovakia and ask them to explain.

Yeah... I will do that. I am just not sure how many people will be interested in the findings anyway as "you don't need to drive above 120mph anyway" :D

Edited by M4C1N0
  • Thanks 1