Ice warning, no bong noise anymore?

Hi all,

so outside temperature warning, 4c audible ice bong.

I am not getting the audible bong, the maxidot ice symbol shows and the temperature flashes so the warning is working, jus no bong. This started a few months ago.

Every other audible warning seems to be working. I've done a search here but no answers either way.

Can anyone shed any light how to get the bong working again?

Thank you :)

No advice for a solution to your problem but my low temp warning has stopped bonging recently also...........

Fortunately I don't need it to bong at me for me to know it is icy low temperatures, and to drive accordingly, so not too bothered.

Hope you get yours sorted though.

Doesn't the bong happen when temperature falls to 4c (might be 4.5c) and snowflake appears

If it already cold then you start car, just get the snowflake picture (not the bong, which is to make you check what is newly displayed whilst you are driving), with maxidot a message will flash up for few seconds which the bong is advising

I think it is like the service countdown spanner on startup, no bong as a good driver will check their instruments when starting to ensure no problems, before putting car into gear.

Edited by SurreyJohn

11 minutes ago, Tilt said:

No advice for a solution to your problem but my low temp warning has stopped bonging recently also...........

Fortunately I don't need it to bong at me for me to know it is icy low temperatures, and to drive accordingly, so not too bothered.

Hope you get yours sorted though.

Yes I don't need it as such but I'd like to fix it either way, thank you :)

4 minutes ago, langers2k said:

There is only one speaker in the cluster so if you're getting other noises (indicators use it too) then it's working.

Not sure what else could cause it...

No other noises needed at that time, I get in the car, put keys in the ignition and at that point it used to bong, now it doesnt...

3 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

Doesn't the bong happen when temperature falls to 4c (might be 4.5c) and snowflake appears

If it already cold then you start car, just get the snowflake picture (not the bong, which is to make you check what is newly displayed)

It used to do it even if the temp was already 4c or lower. not as it drops when driving so I am a bit perplexed.

I have seen some say your explanation is correct though so I have no idea.

My MkII would never sound the alarm on starting the engine if the temperature was already below 4°C.

Presumably Skoda assumed the driver would be aware of the ambient temperature, after just getting in from the outside.

As already mentioned, if the temperature then exceeds 4°C during the journey and drops back below, there again is no alarm, the temperature display simply flashes briefly.

The only time mine ever alarms is if the temperature drops below  4°C for the first time whilst driving.

The way you're describing the operation of your car now, is the way mine has always operated.

You lucky b******s, I'm jealous of you, next you will be telling me that the low fuel bong has gone as well as the warning flashing up in orange every few seconds for the whole of the last 1/4 of a tank, how I miss my MK1 that was far less intrusive.

2 hours ago, silver1011 said:

My MkII would never sound the alarm on starting the engine if the temperature was already below 4°C.

Presumably Skoda assumed the driver would be aware of the ambient temperature, after just getting in from the outside.

As already mentioned, if the temperature then exceeds 4°C during the journey and drops back below, there again is no alarm, the temperature display simply flashes briefly.

The only time mine ever alarms is if the temperature drops below  4°C for the first time whilst driving.

The way you're describing the operation of your car now, is the way mine has always operated.

I have seen this said however, historically when it's been 4c and under my car had made the noise pretty instantly when I put the keys in, even when the car hasn't moved in hours. 

I'm a little perplexed by it. Unless the car used to thing it was warm, then upon putting the keys in it would immediately detect its cold and boing at me. 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

You lucky b******s, I'm jealous of you, next you will be telling me that the low fuel bong has gone as well as the warning flashing up in orange every few seconds for the whole of the last 1/4 of a tank, how I miss my MK1 that was far less intrusive.

Haha I know what you mean, but if something is meant to work I'd like to know why it doesn't before ignoring it haha