About to join the club, anything I should bear in mind?

Hmm, feeling less confident about going to pick it up this weekend after tonight's announcement, will have to see how things develop.

Also hey thanks for the recommendation, had plenty of help already!

Edited by GeorgeStorm

On 23/03/2020 at 21:24, GeorgeStorm said:

Hmm, feeling less confident about going to pick it up this weekend after tonight's announcement, will have to see how things develop.

Also hey thanks for the recommendation, had plenty of help already!

If you have the cash in the bank and in no major rush, i would not go due to the gov recent message, plus use car prices are starting to hit rocket bottom... i went to the auction on Monday morning and stuff where going through with zero bids, so many "good buys" as a car to keep than to resale..

Yeah we've agreed to postpone to at least the weekend of the 11th, he's offered my deposit back if I'm unhappy due to the delay etc.

Whilst I'm still leaning towards going for it at that later date, I'd be happy to hear if there are possibly some other options I hadn't considered etc, I may make a new thread about it, or happy to hear suggestions here.

Quick overview:

6-7k budget

6-8k miles per annum

2010 or newer

<80k mileage

Astra size or bigger (but I don't think I'd want bigger than an Octavia)

Probably a mixture of short journeys to shops etc and then weekends away doing a couple of hundred miles.

Air con and cruise control

Low(ish) car tax (was looking at £125 and under)

Decent mpg (40+?)

More power than my current car (03 corsa, probably <70bhp so I realise this one isn't difficult to meet :D)

Just heard back from Skoda UK and got this:

Service History Certificate
Vehicle Details
Vehicle Description Octavia Hatch Elegance 1.4 TSI 140 PS 6G Man
Colour Topaz Brown Metallic
Current Service Regime Fixed

Vehicle Policies
Policy Type Start Date End Date Policy Number Provider
Service Plan 03/05/2017 02/05/2021 914032733 VWFS

Service History
Date of Service Type of Service Vehicle Mileage
05/04/2019 Brake Fluid Change 68,298
05/04/2019 Major/Full Service 68,298
05/04/2018 Interval Service 58,559
03/04/2017 MOT (passed) 52,117
03/04/2017 Used Car MPC 52,117
03/04/2017 Interval Service 52,117
06/09/2016 Brake Fluid Change 41,745
06/09/2016 Interval Service 41,745
04/04/2016 Aircon Service 32,473
04/04/2016 Interval Service 32,473
28/07/2015 Interval Service 22,407
03/12/2014 Oil Change Service 13,752
03/12/2014 Used Car MPC 13,752

Apologies for the not great formatting, but a) does that look reasonable in terms of what was done when, and b) when it says service plan end date 02/05/2021 what does that mean?

On 25/03/2020 at 10:26, GeorgeStorm said:

Yeah we've agreed to postpone to at least the weekend of the 11th, he's offered my deposit back if I'm unhappy due to the delay etc.

Whilst I'm still leaning towards going for it at that later date, I'd be happy to hear if there are possibly some other options I hadn't considered etc, I may make a new thread about it, or happy to hear suggestions here.

Quick overview:

6-7k budget

6-8k miles per annum

2010 or newer

<80k mileage

Astra size or bigger (but I don't think I'd want bigger than an Octavia)

Probably a mixture of short journeys to shops etc and then weekends away doing a couple of hundred miles.

Air con and cruise control

Low(ish) car tax (was looking at £125 and under)

Decent mpg (40+?)

More power than my current car (03 corsa, probably <70bhp so I realise this one isn't difficult to meet :D)

I know this is of no help, my 2016 se business estate 2.0 tdi with 30k miles on the clock went through bca auction at £10,300 with zero bids. 

2016/7 octavias(se business spec) where going through at £7.5 /8k with 40k miles with still no bids.. 

The best I saw for the time there was a 2016 fr Leon estate, £28k miles, for £8.5k.

Some mega deals to be had private buying... But as always, the risk factor, but if buying ex lease at least 99% of time full service history and good condition, though the bca reports are spot on buying online

8 hours ago, RickTT said:

I know this is of no help, my 2016 se business estate 2.0 tdi with 30k miles on the clock went through bca auction at £10,300 with zero bids. 

2016/7 octavias(se business spec) where going through at £7.5 /8k with 40k miles with still no bids.. 

The best I saw for the time there was a 2016 fr Leon estate, £28k miles, for £8.5k.

Some mega deals to be had private buying... But as always, the risk factor, but if buying ex lease at least 99% of time full service history and good condition, though the bca reports are spot on buying online

Diesels tend to be a little cheaper 2nd hand compared to their petrol counterparts it seems (at least for the ones I've been looking at), and I'm guessing if these auctions are in person there aren't any on at the moment!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GeorgeStorm said:

Diesels tend to be a little cheaper 2nd hand compared to their petrol counterparts it seems (at least for the ones I've been looking at), and I'm guessing if these auctions are in person there aren't any on at the moment!

Yeah, last Monday and Tuesday were the days in person before thry switched to online only, however all cars at bca are online auction. At the same time too for years... 

Worth looking at if you like a gamble.. 

46 minutes ago, RickTT said:

Yeah, last Monday and Tuesday were the days in person before thry switched to online only, however all cars at bca are online auction. At the same time too for years... 

Worth looking at if you like a gamble.. 

Yeah I had a quick look on BCA, but it seems you have to have a trade account to be able to buy online/see prices?

Unlikely to be for me as I'd want a bit more safety/security buying from a dealer but no harm having a look with all this extra time covid-19 has brought before I can get one anyway 🙈

2 hours ago, GeorgeStorm said:

Yeah I had a quick look on BCA, but it seems you have to have a trade account to be able to buy online/see prices?

Unlikely to be for me as I'd want a bit more safety/security buying from a dealer but no harm having a look with all this extra time covid-19 has brought before I can get one anyway 🙈

Yeah, trade account needed for online.. 

On 31/03/2020 at 15:41, GeorgeStorm said:

Service History
Date of Service Type of Service Vehicle Mileage
05/04/2019 Brake Fluid Change 68,298
05/04/2019 Major/Full Service 68,298
05/04/2018 Interval Service 58,559
03/04/2017 MOT (passed) 52,117
03/04/2017 Used Car MPC 52,117
03/04/2017 Interval Service 52,117
06/09/2016 Brake Fluid Change 41,745
06/09/2016 Interval Service 41,745
04/04/2016 Aircon Service 32,473
04/04/2016 Interval Service 32,473
28/07/2015 Interval Service 22,407
03/12/2014 Oil Change Service 13,752
03/12/2014 Used Car MPC 13,752

Apologies for the not great formatting, but a) does that look reasonable in terms of what was done when, and b) when it says service plan end date 02/05/2021 what does that mean?

That's as good as it gets, it has been on the fixed service interval which means the engine and turbo have had fresh oil once a year, instead of once every two years / 18,000 miles.

The previous owner has even stumped up for an unnecessary air con service and as adhered to the brake fluid intervals too, which are often missed.

The most recent service was a major service too, so more than likely included the fuel (or spark plugs) and air filters too.

It is due a service now though as April is 12 months since the last service, but I think you said the seller was going to do this for your as part of the deal?

For me the positives are:

• The seller seems to be pretty decent, agreeing to service the car prior to sale and offering back your deposit if you don't want to wait.
  • Impeccable and rare service history
  • Good to excellent visible condition
  • Unique colour
  • Petrol
  • 1.4 TSI is a very good and reliable engine, especially with that service history
  • Elegance, so a nice step-up over the millions of SE's out there

The one negative for me, the cheap tyres, are easily fixed once you have it home and the budget or desire to change them allows.

Personally I'd be willing to sit this restriction on travel out and bide your time, to me this car has the potential to be worth the wait.

3 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

That's as good as it gets, it has been on the fixed service interval which means the engine and turbo have had fresh oil once a year, instead of once every two years / 18,000 miles.

The previous owner has even stumped up for an unnecessary air con service and as adhered to the brake fluid intervals too, which are often missed.

The most recent service was a major service too, so more than likely included the fuel (or spark plugs) and air filters too.

It is due a service now though as April is 12 months since the last service, but I think you said the seller was going to do this for your as part of the deal?

For me the positives are:

• The seller seems to be pretty decent, agreeing to service the car prior to sale and offering back your deposit if you don't want to wait.
  • Impeccable and rare service history
  • Good to excellent visible condition
  • Unique colour
  • Petrol
  • 1.4 TSI is a very good and reliable engine, especially with that service history
  • Elegance, so a nice step-up over the millions of SE's out there

The one negative for me, the cheap tyres, are easily fixed once you have it home and the budget or desire to change them allows.

Personally I'd be willing to sit this restriction on travel out and bide your time, to me this car has the potential to be worth the wait.

Ok so that's good, do you know what the end date of the service plan means? Just when it should have another x type of service then it's the wild west?

Yeah the seller did the service and replaced the cambelt at the same time last week, and every time I've talked to him he comes across well, never felt like he's trying to really sell me the car.

As someone who knows nothing about tyres, I assume I'd just use these until they need replacing (potentially) and could then just get some better ones, I'm not sure how much difference a 'good' tyre makes.

Yeah my intention is to still go for it I think, haven't seen anything else to tempt me away really, only the odd thought of maybe I'd like more power, but this is already a decent step up from what I've got power wise and a huge step up in every other department, so I think I'm fine hah.

Oh, it looks like the previous owner paid for a four year service plan. This would mean all of the cars servicing (not necessarily maintenance) requirements are paid for until May next year.

The plan started in 2017, on the anniversary of the cars 3 year manufacturers warranty.

You also have the plan number. I would ring Skoda Finance up and ask for details about the plan. It may well be that the service (but probably not the cambelt) that the seller has just done could have been done for free at a Skoda main dealer...

image.png.9410410601947c9a859c932bf464d8fc.png

As for tyres, they very much divide opinion. To sell tyres in the UK they have to meet certain standards, so even the cheapest tyres aren't too bad, but are still a long way off a premium tyre.

Longer braking distances, potentially less grip in certain conditions, nosier and less fuel efficient are the potential downsides. I once bought a used car with nearly new budget tyres on and couldn't stomach throwing them away so happily ran them to the wear bars without issue.

13 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Oh, it looks like the previous owner paid for a four year service plan. This would mean all of the cars servicing (not necessarily maintenance) requirements are paid for until May next year.

The plan started in 2017, on the anniversary of the cars 3 year manufacturers warranty.

You also have the plan number. I would ring Skoda Finance up and ask for details about the plan. It may well be that the service (but probably not the cambelt) that the seller has just done could have been done for free at a Skoda main dealer...

image.png.9410410601947c9a859c932bf464d8fc.png

As for tyres, they very much divide opinion. To sell tyres in the UK they have to meet certain standards, so even the cheapest tyres aren't too bad, but are still a long way off a premium tyre.

Longer braking distances, potentially less grip in certain conditions, nosier and less fuel efficient are the potential downsides. I once bought a used car with nearly new budget tyres on and couldn't stomach throwing them away so happily ran them to the wear bars without issue.

Ok great thanks I'll give them a ring, would be a nice little bonus!

Yeah makes sense, and that would be why I wouldn't want to get rid, seems like a waste so I'll probably just use them until they need changing.

Got a response from Skoda:

"Dear George

Thank you for your response.

The service plan has been purchased by the previous owner of the vehicle.

Service plans are not transferable, if you purchase the vehicle you will not be able to use the service plan.

Your vehicle will still have full service history, the service plan would need to be cancelled by the person who purchased the policy.

I hope this Information proves useful."

Shame 😞

• 1 month later...

Well bit of a necro post I know but due to all these delays and potentially changing opinions, a new challenger has appeared, in the form of a Nissan Pulsar, which I hadn't really heard of before, but my partner loves the colour and prefers the general look of it to the octavia on the exterior certainly, interior they're close, but the Nissan is better specced and with much lower mileage and so thought I'd post them both here for some opinions!

https://www.motors.co.uk/car-54769321
vs
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002187455939

Waiting to hear about the service history and how much I'd be able to get it down as whilst in theory I'd save £150+ a year from tax and insurance it's a little pricier than I want to spend at its current value.

10 minutes ago, matrix2020 said:

The Nissan is quite a bit smaller (luggage space) and a lot slower, but it depends whats important to you.

Yeah, I think the size difference will probably be ok, as it'll still be a huge step up from my current corsa and I believe it's on the bigger end for the class (ignoring the octavia obviously), and same with performance, in that whilst it isn't as quick as the octavia, should still be quicker than my corsa by a decent margin.

When I looked at some mazda3s because we liked the look of them, one of the common engines (1.6l petrol I think) was significantly slower (~12s 0-60 type thing) and I considered that to be too much of a drop even though it would still probably be quicker than my current car, and I think the nissan is under 11s so whilst slower than the octavia still a decent jump from the corsa.

Not to say that I prefer it to the octavia, the extra performance and size of the skoda I think would be benefits, but since I'm aware I'm coming from something much smaller, I worry that it'll be wasted so to speak.

Edited by GeorgeStorm

12 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Would you buy a toaster based upon colour? If so buy the Nissan.:notme:

I mean if all/enough other needs are met by both options then things like colour would naturally be what makes up the final decision surely :D

2 minutes ago, GeorgeStorm said:

I mean if all/enough other needs are met by both options then things like colour would naturally be what makes up the final decision surely :D

Sure your partner would rather you buy a PINK Micra CC.:biggrin:

I had a Pulsar courtesy car once. Awful interior. The rest was instantly forgettable. Make sure you're happy with the build quality, the Nissan Qashqai I endured had creaks and rattles at only 2 years old. 

My Octavia at 2 years old feels much more robust. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Swirly182 said:

I had a Pulsar courtesy car once. Awful interior. The rest was instantly forgettable. Make sure you're happy with the build quality, the Nissan Qashqai I endured had creaks and rattles at only 2 years old. 

My Octavia at 2 years old feels much more robust. 

Awful interior in terms of looks or quality? I've personally  never understood the hard vs soft plastic thing, but I guess that's because everything in my car is hard plastic I think, but I also don't spend any time touching any of it so doesn't make any difference!

Yeah I'll test drive one obviously before committing regardless :)

16 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Sure your partner would rather you buy a PINK Micra CC.:biggrin:

Haha, she did originally ask about pink cars then instantly thought they were awful hah.

On the surface the Nissan simply has a better spec, lower mileage than the octavia, with being worse in a couple of areas (space and engine power), but still far better than my current car for those, as well as us preferring things like the colour, and so just trying to work out if the extra tech is worth other potential downsides.

If there was an octavia in other colours, with the extra tech of the Nissan for the same price we wouldn't be having this conversation as the colour/looks alone wouldn't be enough to consider the Nissan :)

Edited by GeorgeStorm

7 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Given the choice I would pick a Purple car over a Brown car TBH.:thinking:

I actually don't mind the colour at all, even if brown was the only colour you could get the octavia in, if the tech was similar to the nissan I probably wouldn't consider the nissan!

But tech + mileage + looks add up to enough to make it worth considering for me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgeStorm said:

Awful interior in terms of looks or quality? I've personally  never understood the hard vs soft plastic thing, but I guess that's because everything in my car is hard plastic I think, but I also don't spend any time touching any of it so doesn't make any difference!

The interior design, layout of controls / switches and the materials. There were some soft touch plastics which is a positive. Nissan and other Japanese manufacturers place buttons in random places, in the Nissan to the right of the steering wheel is an example of this. The Octavia has hard plastics, but overall (imo) better quality and the layout of controls is hard to fault. 

What tech does the Pulsar have over the Octavia?