New owner

Hi , I’ve had my superb a week now and am in love , I want to look after her to the best of my ability she’ s a 2011 elegance, fsh but I’m at a loss to know when she needs a new cam belt and the other major fixings , she’s done 66k exactly 

help appreciated 

absolutelysuperb 

The 1.8 TSI has a timing chain, not a belt, so no serviceable action needed in that respect.

However, not wanting to dilute the new car experience, this thread is very much worthy of a read. Keep an eye on oil consumption, a very close eye.

Do you know much about the cars history, why did the previous owner sell it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

The 1.8 TSI has a timing chain, not a belt, so no serviceable action needed in that respect.

However, not wanting to dilute the new car experience, this thread is very much worthy of a read. Keep an eye on oil consumption, a very close eye.

Do you know much about the cars history, why did the previous owner sell it?

Thanks ! The previous owner was a woman who’s emigrated to Australia, it’s got f/s/h from Skoda so I believe she’s taken good care of it 

• Like 1

Great news. What sort of mileage has it got on it?

A 2011 should mean that any engine issues would ordinarily have shown up by now, it might even have had the remedial work carried out already.

Still, I can't recommend enough that you get into the habit of checking the oil levels a couple of times a week, at least for the first month or so, just to be sure.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Great news. What sort of mileage has it got on it?

A 2011 should mean that any engine issues would ordinarily have shown up by now, it might even have had the remedial work carried out already.

Still, I can't recommend enough that you get into the habit of checking the oil levels a couple of times a week, at least for the first month or so, just to be sure.

Enjoy!

She’s got 66000 on her , no receipts for remedial work tho? Only service stamps 😱

Don't get overly concerned yet. Top it up to the max and note the mileage.

Keep checking every few days.

Was it a private purchase or from a dealer / garage?

As a fellow 2011 1.8Tsi owner I always use premium unleaded and do more frequent oil changes hoping to delay the inevitable....  I'm on a similar mileage to you and it drinks some oil, but not excessive yet.  I've also got a slow coolant leak, which I believe usually comes from the water pump.  That's the next thing to get fixed.  Lovely car though.

• Thanks 1

How many miles have you done in it since you bought it i.e. assuming the oil level was on or close to the max how many miles has it taken to reach the minimum mark on the dipstick?

Was the garage a non-Skoda independent? If so what date did you buy it and what (if any) warranty was provided?

I suspect the previous owner has offloaded the vehicle due to the well documented excessive oil consumption that seems to affect almost all 1.8 TSI's eventually.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, silver1011 said:

How many miles have you done in it since you bought it i.e. assuming the oil level was on or close to the max how many miles has it taken to reach the minimum mark on the dipstick?

Was the garage a non-Skoda independent? If so what date did you buy it and what (if any) warranty was provided?

I suspect the previous owner has offloaded the vehicle due to the well documented excessive oil consumption that seems to affect almost all 1.8 TSI's eventually.

Bought it on the 16th of this month from an independent who assured me it would be serviced before I picked it up! So yes I should’ve checked the oil before I drove it away but assumed all was good, He gave me a 3 month warranty I’ve done about 500 miles in her since and topped her up with 1 litre of Castrol today which she seems most grateful for :) 

500 miles in a week, that's pretty impressive.

I would ring the seller and let them know that you suspect the car is using oil, you've topped it up and will monitor the levels over the next week.

If it uses another litre in the next week / 500 miles I'd be asking the seller to propose an amicable solution.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

500 miles in a week, that's pretty impressive.

I would ring the seller and let them know that you suspect the car is using oil, you've topped it up and will monitor the levels over the next week.

If it uses another litre in the next week / 500 miles I'd be asking the seller to propose an amicable solution.

Yes 500 miles, I bought her in Somerset then had a 3 hour drive home and then 2 days later a trip to Newcastle and back so... but I feel the motorways is where she’s at home, oh I finished work at 5am this morning when it was about -1 degrees , selected the heated seats and within 5 mins was in paradise! 

• Haha 1

Look carefully at the rear bumber around the the exhaust - on bad oil burners this can look "stained", and if really bad you sometimes can find oil if you wipe the bumper near the exhaust outlet.

Keep a close eye on oil consumption and if really bad take it back. 

NB under the Consumer Rights act 2015 you have important rights .

Two important time periods from purchase

1. 30 days "Under  new act, if a fault renders the product not of satisfactory quality, not fit for purpose or not as described, then the buyer is entitled to reject it within the first 30 days"
  2. 6 months "If a fault comes to light after 30 days but before 6 months you’re entitled to a repair, replacement or refund" and "It’s assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise"

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

Hope all goes well as the Superb is a lovely car to drive.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Absolutelysuperb said:

But surely she can’t be an oil burner at 65000 miles with a fssh can she? 

Yup - the 1.8tsi has form.  It had a poor design of oil scraper ring and that combined with long life service intervals......

Modified pistons/rings are available but it's a full stripdown.

You first need to know if it's an oil burner first, monitor for a while- I never trust a selling garage re service before sale. There are some good versions of the 1.8 around.

Read the above link by silver1011 though

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 2

When it costs more per week to fill it with oil than it does petrol.

Or in the next three months, before the warranty expires.

Edited by silver1011
  • Haha 2