The new (resurrected) family wagon - project log

ChrisCh

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The car just got back from the body shop this morning, looking much better! All of the bodywork has been repaired / repainted by our local ChipsAway who did a great job (cheaper to not involve insurance).

Terrible weather today, so no photos but will update once I've got the all season wheels & tyres on - booked in for this Wednesday. I've gone for Michelin CrossClimate+ (which were on offer) which will go on the 17" wheels (the summer tyres will stay on the 18"). :)

Edited by ChrisCh

On 22/09/2020 at 09:10, ChrisCh said:

The wife managed to scrape the entire length of the car against a fence post at the weekend. :crying:

It's all fixable, but it's going to have to go to a bodyshop (probably on insurance) I think to get repaired.

scrape1.jpg

scrape2.jpg

This is why my wife hasn't driven my 2019 Superb since she did something similar on my 2016 White Superb. Think it's called spatial awareness.:whew:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/10/2020 at 11:47, shyVRS245 said:

Think it's called spatial awareness.:whew:

It is indeed and it's mediated by testosterone levels; as is, coincidentally, libido in both sexes.  Which is one of the reasons why you should find yourself a woman who can drive well, preferably ride a motorcycle and maybe even have an LGV licence....:inlove:

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/11/2020 at 17:32, Bigeater said:

Has she clobbered the other side yet Chris?

I enjoyed reading this thread, thanks

Lol, no not yet.

This is the daily so if it gets superficial scratches I don't mind (the above was obviously a bit more than a minor scratch!). My pride and joy is locked firmly in the garage and she's not insured on that :biggrin:

On 21/12/2020 at 09:13, ChrisCh said:

No, they're the standard 17 inch wheels from the SE - 215/55/R17

The L&K standard wheels are 18 inches - 235/45/R18

How is traction with the narrow tyres in the dry?

• 2 months later...

Took off the wheels with all-season tyres and put the summer wheels & tyres back on last weekend. I took the opportunity to put the newest tyres on the front.

Decided not to buy any new summer tyres yet - but once these have worn down will get some better quality rubber on (rather than the bargain-basement tyres that the dealer fitted). :)

Edited by ChrisCh
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

How to replace the inner door rubber seal Skoda Superb 3V 2016:

I finally got around to replacing the broken / worn inner door rubber seal on the right front door (drivers side) - it had been torn by a previous owner.

The first job was to remove the panel on the side of the dashboard using a trim removal tool (photo shows the clips - no screws).

Second job was to remove the existing rubber, which was quite easy to do - but to get the last piece out I had to remove the trim on the A-pillar. This is just clipped in.

At this point I managed to get most of the rubber seal in - but couldn't get the last bit in the top left in as there wasn't enough room / give in the B-pillar trim.

Consequently I had to remove this trim - which was a bit fiddly. Most of it unclips, but there is a Torx screw hidden under the airbag logo at the top - use a screwdriver to pry this plastic cover off (it's very right). The two bits of plastic have to slot together before re-assembly (see photo) - otherwise the seatbelt height adjuster isn't held in place properly.

All done and re-assembled in around an hour and a half.

PXL_20210509_131038687.jpg

PXL_20210509_122704343.jpg

PXL_20210509_120100172.jpg

PXL_20210509_122708984.jpg

PXL_20210509_123039832.jpg

PXL_20210509_124922042.jpg

Edited by ChrisCh
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Another year, another service and MOT completed, all the standard air, oil filters etc replaced and new spark plugs. No other issues to report - although once in a blue moon the boot refuses to close. It works 99% of the time, so no new boot struts required (yet!).

Now at 47,000 miles.

MOT_pass.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Can't believe it took me a year to notice... after the crash repair there was no L&K emblem / badge on the left hand side of the car.

Carefully aligned using my phone as a measurement point to the bonnet (good enough for me - I can't be bothered to measure it properly!)

Now sorted 

😁

PXL_20211204_095454396.jpg

PXL_20211204_095604299.jpg

Edited by ChrisCh
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Small update today - as it's now spring, the summer wheels and tyres are now back on, with 2 new Michelin Primacy 4's at the back fitted today to replace the oldest budget tyres on the car. No change to the front as the tyres are quite new even if they are budget tyres that came with the car!

PXL_20220318_111546022.jpg

Edited by ChrisCh
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I had a failed engine coolant valve last week that caused my wife some miss-fires in heavy slow traffic (only happened twice in about a week). No error code on the dash, but a DTC that wouldn't clear. My local independent garage did some diagnosis (as there are 2 valves apparently that can cause the code below) and today got the part in stock and replaced it.

All seems to be running well now @ 60,000 miles on the odometer.

This was the error code if it helps anyone else!

15446 - Blocking Valve for Coolant (N82) 
          P1889 00 [00101111] - Open or Short to Ground
          Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 60
                    Mileage: 92458 km
                    Date: 2023.07.14
                    Time: 07:32:06

Engine RPM: 1059.50 /min
                    Normed load value: 19.6 %
                    Vehicle speed: 13 km/h
                    Coolant temperature: 102 °C
                    Intake air temperature: 28 °C
                    Ambient air pressure: 990 mbar
                    Voltage terminal 30: 13.359 V
                    Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
                    Engine: operating status: IS
                    STATE_LS_SAE[1]: CL
                    T_AST_SAE: 334 s
                    MAP_MES_SAE: 35 kPa
                    Lambda probe voltage: bank 1: probe 1 (broadband probe): 1.816 V
                    FAC_TPS_1_SAE: 14.453125 %
                    FUP_H_SAE: 12340.0 kPa

Edited by ChrisCh