The new (resurrected) family wagon - project log

ChrisCh

Hello all,

Just before lockdown, I picked purchased a 2016 Superb L&K 280 from Arnold Clark. It's a much needed size upgrade on our 2009 Fiesta (part exchanged) and is our new family barge - mostly for short trips but occasionally for longer ones (hence why it's not a diesel).

The car had covered 40,000 miles and had a very patchy service history. But it did have the spec I wanted plus it was cheap enough to bring it (just) into budget. Plus as my wife's car / the family car it's good if it's had some good use already - so I'm not too precious about it.

My plan for the car is to tidy it up a little and to give it some much needed TLC - it's only ever been serviced twice as far as I can see...

Collection day:

SkodaSuperb_March2020.thumb.jpg.1cde800b3f9ffbc36cc1cce7f4ad03a4.jpg

My wife's bear immediately placed (don't ask):

IMG-20200320-WA0002.thumb.jpg.f8059f6a4178fccf25720b200f5c70ad.jpg

Child seats installed (hence the need for a big car!):

IMG_20200419_111115.thumb.jpg.dbbcceee4b8f1a49d923bab5d338bcec.jpg

Dash cam installed (and hard wired into fuse box):

IMG_20200419_112411.thumb.jpg.99097f717c9dfdef8aae6a6acc3300f6.jpg

Engine bay (with plastic cover temporarily removed):

IMG_20200405_143341.thumb.jpg.7ca861a0d0f409e32aaca0dce646fac4.jpg

EA888 engine code:

IMG_20200405_143359.thumb.jpg.3e1b0567c3095998d16b094d0de26f49.jpg

Evidence of patchy service history (as well as a few other stickers) removed from drivers door frame:

IMG_20200410_145515.thumb.jpg.848cbb1586ca99c0752301e02ffad2b4.jpg

Dodgy wiring for an old dash-cam on the drivers side removed (yes that is a cigarette lighter! ) :

IMG_20200418_144820.thumb.jpg.bef4580472728f34ada566cdcfd68e8c.jpgIMG_20200418_150010.thumb.jpg.04c78d98c601e61153fba517e15bea23.jpg

MIB 2 unit removed (to be sent off for re-programming as MIB 2.5):

IMG_20200406_202345.thumb.jpg.ceb32599981def33d7499f39fff32abb.jpg

New Columbus 9.2" screen during testing (hasn't arrived yet - thanks to pab567 )

IMG-20200415-WA0004.thumb.jpg.352374fd3a592277eedfb986d81b0263.jpg

The next job is to replace the oil on the Haldex pump and clean the filter myself (fairly sure that it's never been done) and to replace the DSG gearbox oil (again, I'm fairly sure this hasn't been done but I may get a garage to do it once lockdown has lifted).

I sourced the boot liner second-hand for circa £5 on eBay, which I'm delighted with as it's like new:

IMG_20200419_111129.thumb.jpg.79208c49fda67d1f70e06387ec68bb67.jpg

Interior shot:

IMG_20200419_111207.thumb.jpg.5619980c34ded3e1185d73ceef12c51b.jpg

The steering wheel has a large imprint of where the steering wheel controls were, but if you can overlook that, it does mean that the rest of the wheel is like new (as it's barely been used).

I've also disabled KESSY using VCDS, which is much better for peace of mind and isn't too annoying for daily use.

More to come - thanks for looking.

Chris

Edited by ChrisCh
  • Like 2

So it looks like an ex-mobility car then Chris if hand controls were fitted so the first owner just wanted to have the minimum servicing done as they knew they were handing the car back after 3 years. Someone I knew was allowed to do 60,000 miles without penalty in 3 years under the scheme but they got a refund because they clocked up only 36,000 miles in 3 years. Welcome to the Forum I read you have already had some good advice from Nick on the Haldex/DSG oil changes.:thumbup:

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

So it looks like an ex-mobility car then Chris if hand controls were fitted so the first owner just wanted to have the minimum servicing done as they knew they were handing the car back after 3 years. Someone I knew was allowed to do 60,000 miles without penalty in 3 years under the scheme but they got a refund because they clocked up only 36,000 miles in 3 years. Welcome to the Forum I read you have already had some good advice from Nick on the Haldex/DSG oil changes.:thumbup:

Yes it was - at least it was set up with hand-controls (which have now been removed).

Thanks - yes some good advice - I will be changing the Haldex oil (and cleaning the filter) this week. I imagine it's going to be very sludgy 😁

Hopefully I'll have time to fit the new infotainment screen too. Next month I'll get the DSG oil changed.

Edited by ChrisCh
  • Thanks 1

On 21/04/2020 at 21:55, ChrisCh said:

9.2" Columbus now installed. Very pleased with the end result - definitely a sizeable improvement! 😁

IMG_20200421_214213.jpg

Did you Change both the screen and the glovebox unit for this? 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ChrisCh said:

Picked up these wheels and tyres this week (for £300) which will make a great winter set. Very pleased with them as they're in very good condition and will fit😃

s-l1600.jpg

Same design as the standard SE alloys 17" from my 2016 Superb. Very easy to clean BTW.:thinking:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2020 at 08:44, superbdreams said:

Thanks Chris, the item says it doesn't fit my 2012 superb, doubt that.

Strange - yes given that it lists compatibility for the Mk5 Golf I think it should fit the 2012 Superb DSG.

I fitted some LED boot / trunk lights last night from SuperSkoda, they were a little fiddly to install as the replacement light is slightly larger than the original (the main point to note is that the connector must face the outside of the car rather than the inside like the stock lights). I also had to push a little bit of the factory wiring out of the way that was in the way of one of the lights. Otherwise a simple job!

Edited by ChrisCh
Added boot lights

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/04/2020 at 22:39, ChrisCh said:

Hi Dan - yes, I removed the glove box unit and sent it away for reprogramming (from MIB2 to 2.5).

Speakto pab567 on this forum.

Do you need to source your own headunit? Thinking of having this done but be very hard to source the top spec head unit in Ireland

@shyVRS245   Motability cars are owned by Motability and the person leasing does not pay for Servicing / Maintenance and not even for AdBlue.

The cars are MOT'd at least 1 month before handback and that can be as much as 2 months before being 3 years old.

Motability leave the cars on Variable Service intervals and the services are done maybe at 20,000 mile intervals if the car is doing the miles.

*If Motability owned it at 3 years old, 40,000 miles the Main Dealer Servicing should have had the Haldex, DSG and Brake Fluid changes done.

That is to Manufacturers Schedule / Guidelines.*

My 66 plate 2.0TDI SCR DSG Alhambra had a RRP at £32,000. 

The Invoice to Motability was £24,500 and it is for sale at Arnold Clark after they bought it at BCA last December.

Advisory work at the MOT was not carried out, and the rubbish OEM tyres i put back on before the hand back are still on it.

I would not touch it with someone else's barge pole.

Arnold Clark asking £16,500 last time i looked.

PS

You are allowed 20,000 miles with a Motability Vehicle.  so 60,000 miles with a 3 year lease. (years back it was only 12,000 miles a year.)

If you have done under 15,000 mile in 3 years you can apply to extend the lease for another 2 years.

PPS

You do not get a 'Refund' you get a 'good condition bonus payment' which is £600.  If the Condition is good.

Currently people can apply for that early to help them out financially.

Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 11.59.47.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Thanks 1

@shyVRS245   Point being.  The Service should not be patchy. 

It is Full Main Dealer Servicing history with Motability.

Not all Disabled people use Motability to get cars, business users as an example.

I used to buy and sell Ex Motability cars from back when they were Mini's.  

Then from a List, and after that at Auction, selling them as 'Disabled persons car' one driver, never raced or rallied. 

Also i fitted hand and disabled controls as an Authorised Fitter.

41 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@shyVRS245   Point being.  The Service should not be patchy. 

It is Full Main Dealer Servicing history with Motability.

Not all Disabled people use Motability to get cars, business users as an example.

I used to buy and sell Ex Motability cars from back when they were Mini's.  

Then from a List, and after that at Auction, selling them as 'Disabled persons car' one driver, never raced or rallied. 

Also i fitted hand and disabled controls as an Authorised Fitter.

Thanks for the info - very useful.

The only services in the electronic log book are 2016 (delivery) and 2019 (service and MOT by an independent at 37,000 miles). At this MOT the rear pads were listed as advisories and these were changed by Arnold Clark prior to sale. They also replaced the rear tyres as they were low on tread - this was also an MOT advisory (with a budget tyre).

I went for the car as it was in the spec I wanted, cheap enough plus Arnold Clark were very helpful and so far I'm very pleased with the purchase - I think the price was fair and in general the condition of the car is good. In my experience it's always better to be over-cautious - hence the additional servicing that I've completed myself. There's certainly no record of any of these activities being completed.

When I traded my old car in to Arnold Clark they immediately threw some of the service history in the bin as my old car was due to be auctioned. That may explain the patchy service history notes on the Skoda 😄

• Like 1

@ChrisCh

Does not sound like it was a car owned by Motability Finance.

The V5 goes in the name of the person leasing the car.

The Service record should be Main Dealership and on the system.

When a car has it's MOT before the handback there is an Inspection report, & when the car is handed back the Dealership Employee takes pictures which are then used for the Auction & they do  the condition inspection.

(For 2 months Motability thought i still had their car, and wanted it back, and even when i told them AC had it advertised for sale they would not believe me.)

When my car went back in November i made sure the wiper blade that was not available at the Service & MOT was fitted.

Motability pay well for the Services and MOT, and work is authorised, the only bolshy ones are Kwik Fit about replacing tyre.

(They claim at the tyre centres that it costs them which is nonsense.)

AC must have sold it, as it got a new MOT in May,

and it has no advisories on that.

(As is quite normal when they are MOT a sales vehicle...)  EDIT.  Actually still advertised for sale at AC's.

Screenshot 2020-06-10 at 13.27.37.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Just stumbled on this. Am I right in saying to upgrade the screen you just need the screen itself and to get the unit re-programmed? Are the costs on here somewhere?

Looks like a great car and likely good value too!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...