Brake shudder on VRS

Last August I had my discs and pads all changed due to corrosion.

I had a decent indie garage do the work and used Pagid discs all round from ECP and Pagid rear pads and ATE Ceramic front pads. I have to admit I didn't do specific bedding in.

For the last month or so the car has developed shuddering brakes especially obvious at higher speeds 50mph+ but still very slightly noticeable at slower stops with a gentle pulsing feel.

I can't see obvious problems visually.

I have since found multiple online posts complaining of Pagid discs from ECP causing this problem, and when I had my service I asked Skoda to take a look and drive and they reckoned warped discs (but still marked it as green on the safety check...)

I emailed ECP customer services over a week ago but still had no reply.

The discs we're pretty cheap, so I wonder if they were actually genuine Pagid stock? Or are Pagid just poor quality?

I suppose I'll have to fork out on new discs again? And chase ECP for a refund. If they do turn out to be faulty, could I push for the fitting costs to be reimbursed?

Will I need new pads again too?

And which discs are known to be good quality with no issues?

Thanks all

My guess would be the ceramic pads. You can check if the discs are warped by holding a straight edge rule over the top and see if it still flat. If the disc doesnt have a slight blue hue to it then they havent been overheating and cant be warped. Id try changing the pads on the front first to see if that eliminates the shudder. Have you tried  a few high speed brake runs down to a stop to see if there is some contamination on the disc surface?

Caliper slide grease gone hard & slider pins sticking in rubber boots??….or the pads metal ears sticking in rusty deposits on caliper grooves...??..

7 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

Caliper slide grease gone hard & slider pins sticking in rubber boots??….

I'm my experience, juddering brakes is either rusted pins in the carrier, or the subsequent warped disks that it causes due to uneven pressure.

I've had to strip, clean, regrease and fit new boots on various cars now.  

13 hours ago, Alex-W said:

I'm my experience, juddering brakes is either rusted pins in the carrier, or the subsequent warped disks that it causes due to uneven pressure.

I've had to strip, clean, regrease and fit new boots on various cars now.  

Thing is the current calipers on the MQB front have an internal rubber bush on one slider pin which then causes the pin to stick if the grease goes off, or causes the bush to swell...& that's besides the rubber boot seal lip which will do the same....I'd have direct experience of this on my MK7 Golf......the calipers are very picky about the correct grease..

I've had the same issue with ECP twice now, the latter being the more expensive Brembo discs and pads option.

I'm convinced that ECP parts, even from established and reputable suppliers are produced to a cost, a low one.

The genuine Skoda discs get bad press regularly as being low quality, but then the ECP ones did the same, however the genuine parts lasted much longer.

I'll be paying the few extra quid and buying genuine from TPS next time.

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

I've had the same issue with ECP twice now, the latter being the more expensive Brembo discs and pads option.

I'm convinced that ECP parts, even from established and reputable suppliers are produced to a cost, a low one.

The genuine Skoda discs get bad press regularly as being low quality, but then the ECP ones did the same, however the genuine parts lasted much longer.

I'll be paying the few extra quid and buying genuine from TPS next time.

Running top spec Brembo parts from Euro car parts..no problems....infact I had problems with the grease & which caused judder & the calipers to stick which FUBAR'd my top spec ATE discs & pads...