"Oil service due" message - confused!

Aciduzzo

Hi, all.

I have a Superb, PDI 6. March 2019, but bought by me (second-hand) in late October 2019. I now have an "oil service due in 8 days" message on the dashboard. The car has almost 6500 KM on the clock. At purchase, the salesperson confirmed it's on fixed servicing - i'm a low-mileage driver. 

What exactly does "oil service due" mean? Is it a full service? If so, shouldn't that have been due by 6 March 2020?  

At the PDI someone changed the Flexible Service Interval, or sometime since.

Then there is also the stupid Service warnings that can show.

So no idea what happened with yours if it was a Demonstrator, or Management car.

It is almost a full service.

(If it was the 2nd service it can include the Pollen filter being due a change) 

Your car might be on fixed servicing but it has Long Life Oil and could go to 24 months, 18,000-20,000 miles if you can not get a service now.

That will not invalidate the warranty.

An oil service is that an Oil & Filter service and inspections and anything required each year before the next Oil Service which some might call a Major Service.

Are you in Harrow? 

Why are you giving the mileage in KM?

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

These are the new terms Skoda UK are using.

Oil & Inspection Service, then the 'Extended Scope Inspection'.  & pay extra for parts.

This used to be called Minor or Interim Services and Major Services.

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 12.30.45.png

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 12.30.08.png

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 12.30.27.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

It is almost a full service. If it is the 2nd service it can include the Pollen filter.  Your car might be on fixed servicing but it has Long Life Oil and could go to 24 months, 18,000-20,000 miles if you can not get a service now.

An oil service is that an Oil & Filter service and inspections and anything required each year before the next Oil Service which some might call a Major Service.

Are you in Harrow? 

Why are you giving the mileage in KM?

I actually just called a local dealer which said it's a minor "oil change" service (so not the full inspection service which would be due at two years). The guy couldn't, however, tell me why the notification has popped up after 13 months (instead of 12). Interestingly, he also told me that servicing isn't necessary for the warranty!

P.S. mileage is in Km because i have everything set to metric (except the speedo, which would be confusing if in Km/h!)  

Arh - the vagarities of Oil Servicing....welcome to the world of condition based driving.

So - I am assuming that as you are based in Harrow/Middlesex (edge of London) - that quite a lot of your driving is stop/start (hopefully with some longer runs).  Low speed / stop/start runs means that your oil will be working considerably harder than normal.  All Skoda/VW vehicles since around 2009/10 have condition based monitoring for the oil.  If the oil viscosity / lubrication is becoming impared, then it will flag that up as needing a service.  You've stated that you are also a low mileage driver - which is fine - but you should make sure you get out into the country and give your car a good run to clear out the catalyst.

What the dealer says re: servicing intervals - and what the car is set at - is two different things.  I recommend that you check to make sure you are set on fixed servicing when your car goes in for its first service.

Is your car running in kms???  I am assuming this should be in miles...if not; then your units are showing up incorrectly.  On your MI (Media Interface), go into Car -> Settings -> Units and set it to the correct settings.

@Aciduzzo

The guy you spoke to could use what ever terms he uses and might have been using the same ones for years or maybe for months.

It really does not matter unless you asked what his job is and what he is trained as, a receptionist on a parts desk, a service manager or an actual trained technician that is answering phones.

Fixed services at 9,400 miles / 9,600 miles or some say at 10,000 miles or 372 days, whichever comes first, or flexible at 24 months or sooner, as the Oil Service indicator might choose. like between 18,000 miles to 20,000 but not 6,500 km no mater how driven in the UK unless like a member here drives his which is at twice the NSL regularly on private roads..

PS

Since you have no idea how the car was driven between March and October last year, and if actually given an oil change when prepped for sale. or just a top up and VW508 added or VW504, maybe best have an Oil Change when the Dealerships are opened.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

10 minutes ago, varaderoguy said:

Arh - the vagarities of Oil Servicing....welcome to the world of condition based driving.

So - I am assuming that as you are based in Harrow/Middlesex (edge of London) - that quite a lot of your driving is stop/start (hopefully with some longer runs).  Low speed / stop/start runs means that your oil will be working considerably harder than normal.  All Skoda/VW vehicles since around 2009/10 have condition based monitoring for the oil.  If the oil viscosity / lubrication is becoming impared, then it will flag that up as needing a service.  You've stated that you are also a low mileage driver - which is fine - but you should make sure you get out into the country and give your car a good run to clear out the catalyst.

Thanks. So are you saying that the oil service notification is actually based on my driving habits, as opposed to a fixed time frame? Given i didn't get a service notification at coming-up-to-12 months, i start to suspect that the car is actually on variable servicing (and that the salesperson didn't bother to check). In regard to my driving habits, you are (unfortunately) correct: loads of short, low-speed, stop-start drives! Before lockdown, i did endeavour to get out into the countryside - i enjoy walking in the hills - but, alas, that's not really possible now.

You can only guess why it that Service Message has appeared, or what the cars early life was, was it one driver or several drivers a week road testing it.

Best just change the oil and filter.

?

Was the car a Demonstrator / Ex Management or Skoda Media Car, never raced or rallied?

2 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

You can only guess why it that Service Message has appeared, or what the cars early life was, was it one driver or several drivers a week road testing it.

?

Was the car a Demonstrator / Ex Management or Skoda Media Car, never raced or rallied?

Ex SKODA UK manager, so only one driver. In almost as-new condition, so i doubt it's been abused. He had only done about 3k miles in six months. And i have only added about 1k to that in the six months i've had it. 

Edited by Aciduzzo
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

So no need to bother with the "Oil and inspection" service?

What an amazing amount of Managers work for Skoda, and amazing how so many get 3,000 miles covered in 3 months to get the nice tax break from HMRC.

Or in your case the miles over 6 months.

Someone might just have messed about resetting things.

You might even think the same things are going on as in the old days where we clocked up the miles in the cars that came in from the Channel Isles.

It was amazing how many Fords with 3,000 miles on them still had the plastic covers still on the seats.

2 hours ago, Aciduzzo said:

Ex SKODA UK manager, so only one driver

When I worked for part of GM we used to get new cars and run them for 9000 miles before they were sold on under the Vauxhall Approved scheme.

Some managers used to drive them without any mechanical sympathy (full throttle, redline revs from cold - you get the jist) - that sort of driving would make variable servicing suggest an early service.

The question is not should you get the service done... you should if possible, so you know where it's at.

The question is more, is it possible to get the service done.

In the current situation, I don't believe you will be able to and if you're not doing any significant mileage, I wouldn't worry as long as the mileage doesn't go up by more than a few hundred.

You tend to get a 30 days/1000 miles slack on timing from what I was told by a dealer a while back, when they were trying to convince me that a 2 week wait wouldn't be a problem.

Also if you look in the car menu, it will tell you how many miles/days until it is due.

There is more slack than that just now by the Emails Skoda UK Customer Services are telling owners. 

As it is when the car is suitable for variable servicing and some technician / fitter puts it to Fixed from Variable you are still going with the Manufacturers Guidelines.

24 months / 18,000 miles or so.