Kodiaq Sportline Accessories

Hi everyone,

Once lockdown ends and the dealers are open again, I'll be picking up my new Sportline and am hugely excited about it! 

I had a couple of things i wanted to ask if that's ok, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1) For anyone who has a sportline (or other car with integrated headrest seats), can they recommend a car organiser to protect the back of the seats from my kid's muddy feet/hold their ipads/drinks etc? 

2) Would running boards be a good investment to help protect the vehicle/help the kids climb in/out?

3) Would anyone recommend a ceramic detailing to protect the paintwork? or would this be overkill? 

Sorry to ask all at once, but thought i'd spit all the thoughts out at once!

Thanks in advance,

Michael 

1. Back of the front seats are made of artificial leather. No need for extra protection.

2. Good for visual but I doubt they have a practical point. Maybe easier for kids to step in.

3. I had it done. 1 year 2 months in, but water is still in big bubbles on surface, which means the layer still exists.

I paid 400 euros for treatment and that is not too much money for what you get.

• Thanks 1

Hi linni,

Thanks for the reply!

1) oh right? I'd just assumed the kids would scuff the cr*p out of the back of the seats? If that's not the case, even better! 

2) Hmmm, ok... thanks for your opinion. Maybe not worth the money then.

3) It's been recommended to me, and won't cost more than the dealer's 'Lifeshine' option... which I suspect isn't that great. May try and get something booked in! 

Thanks very much, 

Michael

I cannot help with a product, but protecting your seat backs from kids shoes is a good idea. They don't just bring mud  into the car, they also bring grit which will eventually mark or damage the seats.

With regard to ceramic coating, only worth it if you're really averse to polishing your car. I had it done on a new caravan because it was such a big area to polish and I couldn't get to the centre of the roof.

It was guaranteed for 3 years but began to wear off before that.

A few years back I was offered one of these paint protection products for £300. I did some research and found out that that the products used could be bought for £36 (this wasn't a so called ceramic coating).

To my knowledge, true ceramic coating has to be applied at a very high temperature, so what you get isn't true ceramic. The garage/salesman gets a commission from the sale and there's a big mark up on the products used. If you don't mind using some elbow grease, you can buy far cheaper products that will give your car decent protection.

I use what's touted as a once a year polish, which isn't quite true as two coats have to be applied within a month, but once done it does last and works for me. This product can be bought for £17. Not saying you should buy it, it's just an example of what's available.

These products are only as good as the person applying them, but if you're a busy person who doesn't like polishing a car and you're a short term owner then these products might seem good value to you. To me, they certainly aren't.

• Thanks 1

On point 2, running board is not much lower than the sill, so hard to justify the £800+ price.  I would get them though if you plan to put on a roof rack, as makes roof access much easier, but you do really have to have the door open.  Second photo shows this.

20190627_183809.jpg

20190627_183759.jpg

• Thanks 1

As regards to the ceramic coating.

Have a look on Detailing World for reviews of this and various other products you could use.

If you are not into deep cleaning your car you could always pay a professional to do it once a year, leaving you to do a monthly wash, or as we're approaching the summer months, run a hose over your vehicle to remove pollen and dust.

Rather than getting a ceramic coating, you could always get. the vehicle wrapped.

• Thanks 1

Ceramic coats / paint finishes have benefits but have it done by a proper detailer, not the dealer.

The running boards do stop kids scuffing sills and help them get in if smaller as they do for my 4 year old. They also let you get to a roofbox, well the do for me being 5' 7 ...

Edited by jasoncmiles

4 hours ago, olderman1 said:

To my knowledge, true ceramic coating has to be applied at a very high temperature, so what you get isn't true ceramic.

Progress, olderman, progress you forget :)

Do not know about this particular car ceramic, but I own some firearms and have coated them with yanks made ceramic coating which doesn`t need baking in owen:

https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.de/en/product-view/matte-ceramic-clear-mc-161

They have gloss one too.

So we have technology at least.

8 hours ago, MikeLondon said:

1) For anyone who has a sportline (or other car with integrated headrest seats), can they recommend a car organiser to protect the back of the seats from my kid's muddy feet/hold their ipads/drinks etc?

If you have young kids and their feet can reach the backs of the front seats then seat protectors are a worthy investment.

The SportLine seats do indeed make life difficult for seat protectors as well as TV/DVD/Tablet holders. Most seat protectors use an adjustable strap that on ordinary seats would clip around the headrest stems, I'm sure they will be almost as effective on the SportLine seats...

image.png.1a29b01db58c36321048d02d59f5b873.png

I bought these, and whilst they are on my Scout, so not the sports seats, I reckon they'll work OK...

image.thumb.png.f7f1ad2434c64bc47d809cbb4747d29b.png

image.png.efaf5a4c08264f482b9297bf261319e4.png

image.png.f2b366d5b8d5e96295f9e222d39078f5.png

If you're thinking about protection don't also forget the pads for under the child seats. These are genuine Skoda pads but there are similar versions available on Amazon. Be sure they have the gel mesh on the underside to help prevent submarining and the slots to allow access to the ISOFIX brackets...

IMG_0642.thumb.JPG.b256d8080dbb033dd0a2239ad1104558.JPG

See page 6 and 8...

You'll also notice the genuine rubber floor mats, but also the transmission tunnel protector, probably the best £11 I've spent...

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/KODIAQ/Kodiaq-original-Skoda-rubber-mat-over-the-rear-tunnel

image.png.d3953934c4fa6676ad3efb69d2e13cee.png

2) Would running boards be a good investment to help protect the vehicle/help the kids climb in/out? 

Running boards divide opinion. They were a must for me.

Young kids and their shoes clambering over the sills results in scratched paint, the running boards are the perfect height for little kids to step onto and then fully clear the sill. They also allow my kids to step back out of the car onto the running board to reach the door so that they can shut them themselves.

If you plan on washing the roof, or transporting bikes on the roof, or fitting a roof box then again they are brilliant.

They also look great too.

At £700 fitted they aren't cheap, but don't be tempted to buy non-genuine aftermarket boards, they're nowhere near as good quality.

The fact they also help to protect the underside of the sills from gravel rash is great too. More pictures of mine can be found here...

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/443868-running-boards-expensive-bauble-or-useful-accessory/

IMG_0359.thumb.JPG.f2c6a8831345e2a9c2fbfdc8742a5740.JPG

3) Would anyone recommend a ceramic detailing to protect the paintwork? or would this be overkill? 

Definitely avoid the dealers offer of the Autoglym LifeShine. It's worth £30 and an hours worth of labour tops.

I've had a car ceramic coated last year, not the Kodiaq but our other car. The bulk of the cost is the time taken with paintwork correction before the ceramic coating is applied. Given your car is brand new the paintwork should be in good condition, so don't spend the £600-£800 on the full correction, ask for the £150 ceramic coating instead.

I'm not a big fan, sure the car beads well, but then it does after a quick going over with a spray-on quick detailer. A decent polish lasts a good few months too.

Remember, even the best ceramic coatings require a 6 monthly top-up, regardless of what any of the manufacturers claim. It is a good quality polish so try not to get sucked into all the marketing hype.

I won't be spending that sort of money again.

Edited by silver1011
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all your replies... @silver1011 you've really made me think now about the protection. lol And should I spend it on the running boards instead. ha 

Difficult to know what's best, but thanks all for your thoughts, and i'll just try and use a normal seatback cover... and find the best way to make it work! 

• Like 2