Engine management warning light

The other week I got the enginer management light come on. (mentioned earlierin another post but just a dead end really)  So, I bought a cable and software and the fault was .. exactly..

Stored DTC(S)

P0684 - Glow Plug Control Module to PCM Commmunication Circuit Range/Performance

I found a great webiste here ... https://www.obd-codes.com/p0684 which pretty much covered everything ... apart from where all the respective componants live??

Anyway ... I reset the code but seeing as the ambient temperature is great today I'm not really surprised the fault hasn't returned.   It's got a its service due in a few months and so I'd really like to sort this myself before then.

Could someone help with the locations of the GPCM, PCM and the solenoid.

If the fault was with a glow plug wouldn't I get some other code indicating which one had failed?

Thanks

FWIW I recently replaced all 4 glow plugs on an Astra CDTi 1.9 with only 50,000 km on it. Every one of them was dead. You can check glowplugs are working if they measure < 1 ohm resistance, or remove them and check they glow with 12V from the battery applied. 

Anyhow, when I read around online these things are supposed to last 150K KM, but after my experience, that's not likely :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. There are numerous bits online about checking the glowplugs.  Mine appear to have 3 wires to them?  also the connectors are very tight ... I'm not too happy about renching them off in case I damage anything.

So,  I'm still trying to find the whereabouts of the componants?

Thanks

I've done a bit of exploring of the engine and I thinki I've found the glow plug leads.

Could someone please have a quick look at this video just to confirm that what I'm looking at are indeed the glow plugs?  Also, why does one of the leads (second one in from the right) look different (wider), to the others? - and you can see 3 wires going to it???

I've tried coaxing the leads off off the plug but they are really firmly attached.  If I'm to change these plugs I'm going to have to use some plyers or dismantle some parts to get a decent grip.

Thanks