Jerking, juddering 🙄

Hi people, hoping someone can give me a few pointers although I'm crap with cars post 1982, so...... 

I have a 56 plate fabia 1.4 16v ambient, fab little motor car, done me proud since I got it nearly 3 years ago. 

Everything was fine today driving my wife to work then driving myself to work. Car stood all day, started fine and drove fine home, I had a quick shower, then went to pick up my wife. It was hot so I had the AC on and while I waited out side for her to finish I left the engine running and the AC on, so about 10 mins or so. I heard the fan kick in every now and then but the car stayed cool and the temp gauge never moved. 

When my wife finally came out and got in the car I drove off and it drove like a complete slag. It was jerking, pulling back, acceleration was completely flat, once up to speed it was better, but going up through the gears was awful. 

Don't understand because up to that point it was driving absolutely fine with now problem. 

There's no lights on the dash lit, nothing. Any ideas please? Really would be appreciated and as I said at the start I nothing about cars unless its a pre 1982 cortina or capri, so laymans term would be fabulous. 

Thank u in advance 👍🏼

A failure of one of the individual ignition coil packs might give similar symptoms, except that would result in the illumination of at least one warning light.

Check that a previous owner hasn't nobbled the emissions warning light to cover up another fault in the past. When you switch on the ignition, before starting the engine, lots of warning lights should come on briefly; including the emissions warning light, a side-view picture of an engine. Check that you do in fact see this.

Hi, thanks for your reply, no the person who I got it off wS an elderly gentleman who bought it new and it was fully maintained at a dealer, whatever the cost. 

The warning lights have Co. E up before, the orange engine light especially and when I turn the ignition on, lots of lights o. The dash illuminate. 

You might be able to spot the failure visually if you remove the engine cover and have a close look at the top of each coilpack.  When one failed on our Fabia, the top of it blistered visibly, but I know this doesn't always happen.  Free to have a look though.

20170130_194012.jpg

See the volcano-like bulge just left of where 39/04 is printed?

Edited by Wino

Thanks Wino, took it in to a garage I've used before. Good couple of fellas who run it, it was misfiring on cylinder 3, so changed coil pack and its lovely. They had the coil pack lying around from when they changed the engine in their own fabia, so the never charged me, I just gave them a couple of quid for their trouble.

Thanks for all your help.

Morning, just dropped my wife off to work, cars still running like a slag, now the orange engine light has come on, but it's flashing? 

I have no clue 😩

• Like 1