Octavia that's breaking my heart

Hi guys.

Long time reader, first time poster. (Honest!)

Have a long running problem with my 99 (year) Octavia,

Wile driving the car seams to lose loads of power and then give it back to huge lumps, it can happen at any time and without warning.

I can

find a nice honest helpfull mechanic/garage thats local first of all!

to me it sounds like water ingress into control units but then again i'm not a mechanic.

hopefully someone with a more tehcnical background will come along shortly :)

welcome by the way :)

Thanks for your reply,

Well I’m not 100% sure where you mean to look, (maybe the Engine Control Unit?... i reset that but didnt help) but will say I found some corrosion on the back of a printed circuit board that’s behind the dashboard not too long ago…

Good thinking but if I hold the car just revving, (lets say 300revvs, but not moving at all) I get the same thing, IE revs going up and down on it's own just as if it's driving on the roads.

Thanks for your input btw!

Your electrical gremalins are a bit strange, my uncle had a proton (i think cant reamber now) that had come from a dealers that had been underwater a few years back, he said you could drive that down the road and all of a sudden the windows would wind themselves down and you couldnt get them back up, the wipers would start going, worst of all it would just cut out for no reason sometimes and other similar issues. We put it down to having had an ecu full of water once.

Yea I’m starting to think something along those lines may have happened in it's past. Behind the main console (dashboard) we found some traces of rust on the PCB, got the board re soldered and cleaned up and the relays replaced but the problems are still hanging on in there.

I am thinking it may be the ECU but before I change that I am going to replace the throttle Possession switch and see how that works with the other issues I'm having.

Thanks for your input, it's getting me thinking.

Hmm it's not letting me post in that forum? anyone know why? just says I do not have permission to post there.
You need to be a Freedom member to post in Ask a Tech.