Mk2 FL CR170 coil spring

Hi folks, looking for some help from you super knowledgeable people. 

Recently snapped the front near side spring on my Octavia VRS CR170 estate and had the spring, top mount and drop link replaced at my local garage. Done some local driving and it was fine but got it up to motorway speeds and it felt unstable and was wandering a bit so was going to book a Hunter wheel alignment as I've been wanting to do this for a while anyway but it crossed my mind that the garage might have put the wrong spring on so went out with the measuring tape and it was sitting about 16mm higher. Took it to a flat carpark as I live on a bit of a hill and it was only about 5mm out. Everywhere I try and measure it I get a different result! It's going back to the original garage tomorrow for them to take a look but the part number for the spring they've used is 627780520(sachs part) is this the correct part no? 

Thanks in advance 

Skoda have load of different springs for the Octavia depending on engine, model and even equipment.

Most aftermarket manufactures will have as few as possible to keep costs down so although 627780520 might be 'correct' for your Octavia, it does not mean it'll match the original factory fitted spring.

If you only had one side done, I'd definately suggest you get the other side to match. If you decide just to replace one, at the very least you should check what's fitted to the other side so you can match it.

1 hour ago, VRSmarty said:

Hi folks, looking for some help from you super knowledgeable people. 

Recently snapped the front near side spring on my Octavia VRS CR170 estate and had the spring, top mount and drop link replaced at my local garage. Done some local driving and it was fine but got it up to motorway speeds and it felt unstable and was wandering a bit so was going to book a Hunter wheel alignment as I've been wanting to do this for a while anyway but it crossed my mind that the garage might have put the wrong spring on so went out with the measuring tape and it was sitting about 16mm higher. Took it to a flat carpark as I live on a bit of a hill and it was only about 5mm out. Everywhere I try and measure it I get a different result! It's going back to the original garage tomorrow for them to take a look but the part number for the spring they've used is 627780520(sachs part) is this the correct part no? 

Thanks in advance 

what engine is It CEGA? if so I've got a OEM set of springs sat in the garage I could check for you

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

Skoda have load of different springs for the Octavia depending on engine, model and even equipment.

Most aftermarket manufactures will have as few as possible to keep costs down so although 627780520 might be 'correct' for your Octavia, it does not mean it'll match the original factory fitted spring.

If you only had one side done, I'd definately suggest you get the other side to match. If you decide just to replace one, at the very least you should check what's fitted to the other side so you can match it.

Thanks Langers.

It didn't sit right(no pun intended) with me that they were happy replacing one side only but they assured me it wouldn't be an issue. 

40 minutes ago, Gissin said:

what engine is It CEGA? if so I've got a OEM set of springs sat in the garage I could check for you

Hi Gissin, yes, it's the CEGA. 

That would be great, cheers. 

1 minute ago, langers2k said:

You can also check the non-replaced side for paint dots as that'll help confirm which spring is fitted and if it matches Gissins.

Cheers.

Sachs site is saying the part number should be 993 053. Just trying to get as much info before I take it back tomorrow. 

The old spring will have settled with age as the new one will in time so you can't expect old and new to be an exact height match which is why they are recommended to be replaced as a pair, most folks don't though for cost reasons.

How long the new spring will take to settle is anyone's guess.

Don't rush a wheel alignment for a few weeks as you may find once the new spring settles you want it doing again, unlikely though as the geometry will have changed so gradually you probably won't notice.

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

Was 2 minutes into my journey to the garage this morning and TWANG! Drivers side spring went! Couldnt make it up. About 50 miles after the passenger side. 

At least both sides are done and its driving much sweeter now.