Rain Sensor/Automatic dimmer rear view mirror

Ok, not sure if I'm in the right place but here goes. I have recently upgraded from a 2011 Octavia 1.6 TDi to a 2015 Octavia 1.6TDi DR DE Greenline 111, in the 2011 car it has automatic wipers and the rear view mirror automatically dims when a car is behind you at night, I still have both cars.. 

I was just wondering if i took the mirror unit and rain sensor from the 2011 would it fit and work in the 2015?

I think they are different. You'd also potentially need a need windscreen as the sensor is bonded to it and the mirror mount is also maybe different.

2 hours ago, Phil-E said:

I think they are different. You'd also potentially need a need windscreen as the sensor is bonded to it and the mirror mount is also maybe different.

But I can remove everything I need from the 2011, sensor, casing etc. They are different, I was just wondering if if was just a matter of moving it over, all the wiring is in both cars!!

1FB8FCA0-6B9D-4351-965A-11E75BD6A6CB.jpeg

Edited by kmc0704

A 2011 Octavia is based on the PQ35 platform whereas the 2015 will be based on the newer MQB platform so the sensors will not be compatible.

The autodimming mirror would work as that's all self contained within the rear view mirror. However, as the mounts are completely different, I'd stick with the correct mirror :)

Thank you, the compatibility is what I was wondering about, I can swap over the mounts easily enough.. I have everything removed from the 2011. If I did swap them over, would I get error messages? Sorry for been a pain

For the auto headlights/wipers, I expect you'd have fault codes and if you did try and code it in, I'd expect more fault codes and possibly even a warning on the dashboard. It's not the correct sensor for your car so I'd be surprised if it would ever work.

If you just try and get the auto dimming mirror working, there won't be any fault codes. Mainly as it doesn't need to communicate with the car so it won't even know it's fitted.

I'm not sure it's worth the effort switching the mounts, a used auto dimming mirror for a MK3 is not an expensive thing. There are plenty on eBay in the sub £50 range, you just need to double check exactly what mount you currently have. It'll also save messing about if you ever have the windscreen replaced :)