Retro fit tow bar

Pedro7466

Hi all,

Had a quote of £800 to fit a detachable tow bar to my Karoq which is a very good price compared to my dealer, £2075.  This does not include a new grille or upgraded cooling fan which seem to be very expensive, dose anyone know where I can get these parts at reasonable prices please.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2020 at 15:13, Pedro7466 said:

Thanks Phil245 but just looking for the compatible grille and pirated radiator fan

cheers

Its worth checking whether the car came with tow bar prep in which case you already have the cooling mods.

From Phils  "pfJones" link above , if you have a tow bar fitted other than from  a Skoda dealer the Warranty is invalid.

This is a farce as some Skoda dealers just farm out the work to pfJones and take a rake off.

Cooling kit? 

My dealer farmed the work out to http://www.alltowbarsberkshire.co.uk/  I dealt with them directly (no dealer interaction) and I paid them directly.  They were excellent.   I assume they programmed the car as required as the sensors now know the trailer is connected.  What is the cooling kit? No one noted the requirements for one before I read here. 

You also need a new front grille with larger air gaps and an increased fan to pump more air through the radiator, some fitters maybe unaware of this unless it’s fitted by a ŠKODA garage. Your car my overheat I it’s towing at max weight.

0D3725D9-95E5-47B1-93FC-3FBFD0ABE804.jpeg

I have seen on other forums reference I think the Tourag being recommended to have mods to the cooling system for towing big caravans.

I can't remember anyone actually saying they had had overheating problems,  you used to get that in the olden days with torque converter auto's.....

I've had the VW 2.0 diesel motor in a few cars including a Passat Estate which we regularly ran down to an apartment in the Alps in summer fully loaded and with bikes on the roof, kids and a weeks worth of supplies, 35 degrees C outside and air con on.  Also towed ( in the UK) a 5 berth caravan , again bikes on the roof, dog in the back + kids etc. Never saw the temp gauge rise over normal.

I'm not saying there wouldn't be a circumstance where you couldn't overheat the motor without additional mods, but has anyone ever had that, in the UK...? 

Edited by Phil245
  • Like 1

Common sense & responsability for your own actions seems to have all but dissapeared in this modern litigious its always someone elses fault world.

Before cars were overspecced in every way very few vehicles cooling systems could cope with towing a laden caravan up hills on a hot summers day, the drivers would keep a close eye on their temperature guages and on the holiday routes there would be parking areas before, half way up and at the top of the big long hills.

Those who knew their cars limitations would stop for a picnic allowing the engine to cool before climbing, others would stop half way when they saw the temp guage needle start climbing, those who stopped at the top usually had steam coming out.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1