High mileage, low price used Yeti - bad idea?

MCG1975

Evening, was hoping I could tap into the experience of Yetis here as we're looking to replace my wife's car, and we both really like the look of a Yeti.  Still to do a test drive, but I had one for a courtesy car a couple of years back and liked it.

Anyway, we've found one that's quite low price, but with a good reason, fairly high mileage.  The car is a January 2016 registration and has around 82,000 on the clock, and on offer for just under £8,000.  It's a 2.0 TDi SE Business Outdoor.

What I'm wondering is whether this is worth looking at, or if it's better to spend a few more pounds on a lower mileage.  For reference, my Superb (company car) was registered just a few days later and is now nearing 128K - it's a great car and so I've no concerns on Skoda quality, just don't know if we're jumping at the low price and will be stung by the mileage.

Thanks in advance for any pointers...

You are much better off buying a used diesel with a good few miles on the clock rather than one with fewer and all potential problems with emissions systems of low mileage, 82,000 from 2016 is about 20,000 miles per annum and that’s ideal for a diesel. Frankly if you plan to do much less than 20,000 per year - particularly if it will be used for short distance driving - you should avoid a diesel and get a petrol version, otherwise you risk having expensive particulate filter and other emission control problems.

• Like 1

There are owners on here at 250k and still driving their Yeti and planning to keep it.

80k is not that bad and it must have had the ideal diesel usage pattern for future longevity.

It is also a Euro 6 car do no issues with the fix applied to earlier cars.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the responses.  I'm quite happy that it will last, since my Superb 1.6 Diesel has 50% more miles and still going strong, and appreciate the notes about current usage being better for the engine.

One thing that occurred to me that I'll need to check is cam-belt change - does anyone know what the service interval is for a 2 litre diesel?  Based on my Superb it probably should have been done but will need to be a cost consideration if it hasn't.

So, went and had a look this afternoon, took a good test drive (bit longer than planned as I got slightly lost!) and the upshot is a deposit was paid and we hope to get it by the end of next week!

Now just got to work out how to park 3 cars in 2 spaces...🤔

IMG_20200711_150203258.thumb.jpg.9676b1d2e218931b0ef100ad517fb2d3.jpg

Thanks again everyone, looking forward to being part of the Yeti community!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Expatman said:

Cambelt changed?

Um, with one thing and another by the time I got to this point I confess I forgot!  But in looking online I think I found it's a 5 year change or 120,000 so good for a little while. Oh well, there's always something...

Well, you've got less than 6 months till the 5 year deadline.

Surely worth asking seller to change cambelt - or at least contribute to the cost otherwise you should budget £500 for the change and don't forget to change water pump etc at same time.

• Like 2

Like others have commented, I'd have to say to anyone considering buying high mileage VAG diesel, not to be concerned with the mileage. It would have to be astonishingly high like over 500K before I'd want to look a bit further assuming there is little oil consumption. The 2.0 TDI engine in particular is superb. If I were to compare relatively with say a BMW 2.0 N47 and a Skoda 2.0 TDi both with say 125K+, I'd run away from the Beemer and toward the Skoda with my arms open! BMW let down a lot of people very badly with their poor quality components. As others have commented, just make sure you get a cam-belt change in the deal or know (with proof) it was done not so long ago. The belts are good for 90K but check around because there is a lot of conflicting info on the change cycle and even Skoda is not consistent about what they write. Remember the manual is printed and stuck in time so the best information relates to the prevailing advice for the year of car you're proposing to buy. My Octavia VRS tdi is at 153K and I will swear in the witness box it ran in about 5000 miles ago its so very sweet and smooth now. Must admit though, I do like my products and have looked after the engine like a baby. Last oil change I decided to use Millers 5w 30 Nanodrive technology since that's the way things are going in the quest for unbreakable film strength.

Edited by OctaviaVRS2
tab posted by accident before finished