Citygo 1.0 automatic not starting.

Godfrey

Hi.  My citygo just will not start.  No previous issues.  All lights turn on. Tried second key. Just jump leads. It's fuel tank is full.  Just doesn't crank. Any suggestions as to what could be causing this?  

Check earth connections, I think there's one near the offside engine mount that causes trouble on these when it corrodes/breaks.

If that seems OK, look for a broken wire going to the starter motor solenoid (thinnest wire going to starter motor).

Do these cars use a "neutral position switch" on the selector lever like other automatics? It's a common failure point...

My manual only starts if I press the clutch pedal, but do you have to press the brake pedal on your automatic car (some autos require this)? If so, check the brake lights come on and off and if not, check the switch on the pedal.

25 minutes ago, Roottoot said:

If you just turn on the headlights are they dim, and just go dimmer.

Dead Battery.

Jump leads not strong enough from the vehicle providing power to the dead battery.

I will check this thanks.  The car providing power had a new battery itself.  I don't think its battery related.  

Is there Skoda Assist available then if just Under 3 years old ?

Like on an Automatic that can only be started in P or N, or with the brake pedal pressed, there will be an inhibitor that requires the stick to be in N with the ASG.

A faulty neutral position switch (if these have them) will just stop the engine from starting. Everything else would work...

They are normally found under the main body that contains the selector lever, so you may need to pull a few bits off to find it. It's just a small microswitch that indicates to the ECU that you are in neutral and thus safe to start. Sometimes the NPS is under the car body if the selector lever exits the underbody, and if so, they tend to fail more often for obvious reasons (external = possible damp ingress).

As I said before, if you normally have to hold the brake pedal to start, check your brake lights work - this will prove that the microswicth on the brake pedal is working. Or not.

Edited by freemansteve

@Godfrey

Is that the neutral position switch?

The car is under warranty if under 3 years old, it could possibly cost you nothing if a premature failure due to a design, materials, or manufacturing fault.

Do not be too keen to go paying for a diagnosis and then the part and labour/VAT.

Yes, the NPS is a possibility, but I wouldn't jump to firm conclusions just yet!

In any case, the VAG ASG is a very unusual design compared with most automatics, and the NPS idea is just a theory as most of us have manuals, and many like me have never even seen an ASG (but I have had plenty of automatics).

I echo the above in that if the car is "just under three years old", don't waste time and get to a dealer before the warranty runs out! (I think it is 3 years, and being second hand is probably irrelevant)

Edited by freemansteve

• 2 years later...

Dunno. People don't always do more than ask questions, so once fixed, they are often silent....

Make sure the battery is tip-top, as the first thing.

>5 years old, change it, but if not disconnect and reconnect to power-reset all systems.

Then check switches in gear selector.

Then consider solenoid actuators.

Edited by freemansteve

Thanks mum mums car has been in the skoda main dealers for 2 weeks and so far the battery and starter motor have been changed also checked to see if its a bad earth but still will not start.

Before we took it to the garage sometimes I would use jump leads and another car and sometimes it would start and be ok for a few days then other times it wouldn't start.

Her car is the same to start you have to put it in neutral and put your foot on the brake.

Skoda called me today and said they think it might be the gearbox but I don't think it can be that cause when it does start it drives fine.