Corroding wheels on Yeti

Daveyeti

I had both sets of Annapurnas on my Yeti powder coated at 3 years, when I sold the car and wheels (separately) earlier this year , they were all in fine condition.

Why manufacturers insist in foisting the 'diamond cut/lacquered' wheels on us I shall never understand = they are simply not fit for purpose here.

The Crater rims on my current Karoq will be getting the same treatment as soon as Mr Whiteworm makes his inevitable visit!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Just out of interest how old is the car?

Will be 8 years in October. No plans to change, its a great car.

They make out that "Diamond cut" is something really special. When its just a diamond lathe tool used because its a faster way to machine aluminium and so production is cheaper. 

27 minutes ago, RickT said:

They make out that "Diamond cut" is something really special. When its just a diamond lathe tool used because its a faster way to machine aluminium and so production is cheaper. 

I never stop learning. Interesting post and makes sense. So pleased I went for powder coating and didn't replace with new at significant expense. 

When I ordered my car diamond cut wheels were an extra cost option. I picked it initially but then read up about the corrosion issues so went back to standard and spent the money saved on the rear camera instead.

So useful it should be standard equipment!

14 hours ago, Daveyeti said:

Got my Yeti wheels powder coated. Felt I didn't have a choice other than purchase new. Once the laquer was compromised on my wheels I was fighting a loosing battle. Really please with the result. Time and avoiding kerbs will see how this finish holds up. I've attached before and after pics.

20200627_124743.jpg

20200704_165553.jpg

Looking good - seems a shame not to get new centre caps to finish them off :)

17 minutes ago, theandywaite said:

Looking good - seems a shame not to get new centre caps to finish them off :)

Valid point. Ill get some ordered. Cheers.

17 hours ago, Martinb100 said:

Had mine powder coated. So much better than the diamond cut, lacquer jobs!

IMG_20190417_161839256.jpg

My wifes Citigo has black wheels as standard, looks great. I use Black steel winter wheels and they completely transform the look of my all black Yeti. I think I may get my wheels idential shape  done like this once I actually own the car after Dec. Aprroximately how much would this cost please as I could get them done whilst the car is on its winter wheels?

12 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

My wifes Citigo has black wheels as standard, looks great. I use Black steel winter wheels and they completely transform the look of my all black Yeti. I think I may get my wheels idential shape  done like this once I actually own the car after Dec. Aprroximately how much would this cost please as I could get them done whilst the car is on its winter wheels?

Hi Ken. I did exactly like you are planning. Had them done whilst my Yeti was wearing it's winter wheels. Had them done about 16 months ago. Cost was £200 for all four wheels and included acid bath clean, repairs (they were minimal) and powder coating (choice of paint finish). Excellent job

Edited by Martinb100
Insert extra detail

13 minutes ago, Martinb100 said:

Hi Ken. I did exactly like you are planning. Had them done whilst my Yeti was wearing it's winter wheels. Had them done about 16 months ago. Cost was £200 for all four wheels and included acid bath clean, repairs (they were minimal) and powder coating (choice of paint finish). Excellent job

Very good price, where was that done please Martin?

37 minutes ago, VRS_White_Hatch said:

Very good price, where was that done please Martin?

https://www.birkenheadpowdercoatings.co.uk/

Pleased with price and excellent.job. Only minor gripe was they weren't ready when I arrived at agreed time to collect. Had to wait a while. Not a major issue though, once I saw the wheels! 😀

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Merlinman said:

Why manufacturers insist in foisting the 'diamond cut/lacquered' wheels on us I shall never understand = they are simply not fit for purpose here.

Hmm.  The Origamis on my first Yeti lasted 7 years with nary a hint of corrosion.  And that's in Scotland, where the gritters (usually) aren't slow to come out.  Then again, I had a separate set of steelies for my winter tyres so maybe the alloys just never had to cope with the worst conditions.

Didn’t realise the origami wheels had been around so long ,had them on my 2014 l & k and after 4 years they we’re starting to delaminate quite bad.

My Origami's are 6+years old and no corrosion on outer face, but slight traces on front wheels on the inside. The centre badges don't last long though I had them replaced on the warranty at 3yrs and the new set are worse than when the others were taken off 🤬