Dilemma Scout 07 - fix a worn inlet valve or sell the car for spares / repair?

I had the same on the first engine I was going to overhaul - valve stem was poking through cam follower that’s what gouged the cam - if you have metal in the engine you will need to change the oil cooler and possibly the oil pump
It may not be worth doing as you may have bearing damage only a strip down will tell that’s going to cost £500 - 1000 in bits alone My rebuild cost me £2800 inc dmf clutch and garage removing and replacing the engine box - I did the rebuild - head - new guides - valves recut - cam - followers - bearings - bolts - gaskets - honed bores new rings big ends and mains - timing belt - tensioner - oil pump - cooler - water pump - injector loom - rebuilt injectors - going well done 16k since rebuild - only issue was a punctured turbo hose - I suspect done by garage during refit - now replaced all turbo hoses !

I didn’t overhaul the turbo as the bearing was solid no play 

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely be checking those areas for swarf and hopefully avoiding the costs of a total rebuild. 

I will let you know what I find.  

It may be prudent to fit a magnetic sump plug, or DIY one if you are the Blue Peter type.

Out of curiosity can anyone definitely say whether the 1.9TDI uses a bypass or full flow filtration system?

8 hours ago, MicMac said:

It may be prudent to fit a magnetic sump plug, or DIY one if you are the Blue Peter type.

I can see using a magnet to induce magnetism in a sump plug but would the strength of the induced field be enough for the job?

Alternatively,  any recommendations on a supplier of 'proper' magnetic sump plugs?

1 hour ago, StickyMicky said:

I can see using a magnet to induce magnetism in a sump plug but would the strength of the induced field be enough for the job?

Alternatively,  any recommendations on a supplier of 'proper' magnetic sump plugs?

I meant drilling the original sump plug and epoxying a small neodymium magnet in the hole, the kind you might get in an old flip phone cover.

Manufactured plugs are available on the bay from a couple of quid.

Not sure re the oil filter bypass but its not of great importance, the oil pump will have been destroyed long before enough shrapnel and abrasive particles pass to block the filter element.

Generally when debris or foreign objects make their way to the sump they dont damage the bearings, pistons, bores etc, once in the sump they either pass through the guaze filter and gradually destroy the oil pump (but modern crankshaft driven pumps are very robust and overspecced) or worse still block the strainer starving the oil system.

A magnetic plug or simply a big magnet in the sump (fixed) is a very very good idea.