Honeycomb grill install

Hey.

Is there any guides around how to change front bumper grill on mk3's?

Iv got honeycomb style grill and black frame for mine waiting for install, but dont just want to start pulling it out (i want to save original clips)

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Mine is arriving today, only way I could get it was to send it to Ireland and havea family member send it over from there, as kopacek are still not shipping larger items to the uk since brexit. Did you ever find a guide? How did you get on fitting it. Is complete front bumper removal necessary? If I can't find a guide, I'll pay for some online time on the skoda workshop system to view the bumper removal guides

9 hours ago, AlVal said:

Mine is arriving today, only way I could get it was to send it to Ireland and havea family member send it over from there, as kopacek are still not shipping larger items to the uk since brexit. Did you ever find a guide? How did you get on fitting it. Is complete front bumper removal necessary? If I can't find a guide, I'll pay for some online time on the skoda workshop system to view the bumper removal guides

You can remove the whole bumper if you like. I think @JR RS did it this way. I changed my grille surround and removed the entire grille with the bumper still attached. It's ok, but a bit awkward in places. A good bit holder is the key to not losing any torx bits! 

20200430_150400.jpg

20201110_125614.jpg

20200430_150701.jpg

20200430_152848.jpg

• Thanks 1

There r 9 screws that hold the grille to the front bumper, and 8 tabs/clips!!! 

IMG_10112020_105759_(1080_x_608_pixel).thumb.jpg.520a7219b9755d0bb4ddfda713d45164.jpg

Bit overkill, but yeah, having the front bumper off will involve a lot less swearing, in order to remove & fit the grille. 

To remove bumper - wheels off, wheel arch liner off, disconnect washer pipe, disconnect wiring harness, remove screws - pull bumper out.

be careful NOT to hit/upset/knock the ACC radar while sliding the bumper in/out.

IMAG3162.thumb.jpg.14f65f2924268117b60ba56c27f6627d.jpg

I created this how to guide on removing the front bumper.

Removing Front Bumper.pdf

Edited by JR RS
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much guys, extremely helpful. I'm installing black plastic mesh behind the honeycomb one as it feels way too open for stones to hit the radiator. See right side meshed, left not for comparison

IMG_20210304_111230.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AlVal said:

I'm installing black plastic mesh behind the honeycomb one as it feels way too open for stones to hit the radiator

Safe and clever approach! I would do the same if I did the same mod!.

It would also make sense to install the same mesh on the lower honeycomb grill (under the licence plate), wouldn't it?

52 minutes ago, Bap33 said:

Safe and clever approach! I would do the same if I did the same mod!.

It would also make sense to install the same mesh on the lower honeycomb grill (under the licence plate), wouldn't it?

Hmm I haven't examined the lower grille. Will take a look. Took hours to plastic weld the mesh to the back of the honeycomb. Araldite glue didn't work well, or maybe I didn't get the mix quite right. Must be really well attached first time, I have no intention of taking the bumper off again to fix it! 

12 hours ago, AlVal said:

Hmm I haven't examined the lower grille. Will take a look. Took hours to plastic weld the mesh to the back of the honeycomb. Araldite glue didn't work well, or maybe I didn't get the mix quite right. Must be really well attached first time, I have no intention of taking the bumper off again to fix it! 

As you say, the  lower part of the radiator is very exposed to stones with the original honeycomb lower grill.

To me, your improvement idea with this kind of mesh fully makes sense.

As @Bap33 mentioned, the lower grille is exposed indeed.  U might as well mesh it too if ur doing the top grille.

Getting the lower grille off is a bumper off job too.

1074600231_Screenshot_20210306-1020582.png.81f0235cf77727b0c74a6132eb8c7028.png

32246487_Screenshot_20210306-1022382.png.4935f136b6e8e79fbf35da4ae48df5e3.png

Edited by JR RS

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/03/2021 at 11:15, AlVal said:

Thanks so much guys, extremely helpful. I'm installing black plastic mesh behind the honeycomb one as it feels way too open for stones to hit the radiator. See right side meshed, left not for comparison

IMG_20210304_111230.jpg

This looks great.

Where did you get the black mesh from, and how did you get it to stick?

6 hours ago, Noms said:

This looks great.

Where did you get the black mesh from, and how did you get it to stick?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-1m-x-40cm-SEMI-RIGID-HD-HDPE-7mm-PLASTIC-MESH-SCREEN-FILTER-RIDDLE-BARRIER-/292241421165?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

It was a bit of a pain to fit. When I went to fit the grille I realised there is very little extra room for tolerance, so I had to trim the mesh as tight as possible and use an 18watt soldering iron to plastic weld it together, I spent a lot of time doing the trimming and plastic welding, because after all the effort of fitting it back in the bumper and getting the bumper back together, I don't want the mesh to come apart in the wind at high speed, so I made sure this was as strong as possible a bond. I didn't want to use metal mesh because paint would just chip off it and it would rust over time. 

Edited by AlVal
  • Like 2