Cam belt change mileage

Hello all,

Car is coming up to 5 years in a couple of months, with 52k mileage. I believe that cam belt change is due at 5 years or 100k miles. Independent garage says unless I’m a boy racer, then 80k miles with no age restriction should be fine. Anyone had cambelt break at low mileage or age? Cost is approx 500, so if can be avoided for a while, then worth it, as long as it doesn’t break!

Mike

This subject has been debated a fair bit. If no chance of warranty cover then it really depends on what you intend for the car. Long term ownership suggests getting it done at a reasonable interval. Maybe set aside £100 a month till you have enough? If getting rid in the next year or so and not too worried about how much retained value you have.... Could get it done at a later date.

If any sort of warranty available then get it done as per Skoda UK.

Hi Milke, i Just did my cam belt at 104K miles on my L&K at a dealer and the car was a few months shy of 5 years old.  Car had been running fine but had noticed a few strange noises from the engine and had an intermittent coolant leak issue for many months which have now all been rectified.  Car runs perfect now.

Recommended interval is 140k miles or 5 years I think.

Just had mine changed at 4 years and 112k as the water pump bearings failed leading to a minor loss of coolant.