Changed from Toyota to Skoda Yeti

Smiler100

Changed my faithful Verso to a 1.2 petrol Monte Carlo Yeti. Still trying to find out if the 'Monte Carlo' bit means anything except a badge and shaped seats. This is a 66 plate with 23k on the clock. After purchasing with Autotrust warranty from Skoda dealer garage had problems with passengers feeling sick and headaches. Took to dealer and they found signs of rodents under engine plus clogged up filters, cleaned out by garage and now better although still sometimes headache and stale air feeling.  Changes tyres to goodyear Efficient 225/50 R17  to improve tyre noise. road holding is much improved but noise on some surfaces higher than last car. Fitted a Acoustic Kit and it helped by 6db but still that deep booming background noise at times.

Two months ago one of the injectors split and poured petrol over engine compartment, had to be towed home.  All this covered by warranty, which runs out in December. Wondering whether to change car when it runs out in case I have a poor car. All the reviews give the Yeti a good scoring but for me the Verso was more reliable but the Yeti better road holding.

Anybody have ideas on how I can improve my Yeti on noise, comfort and check for other faults.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum. I've been on the forum a few years now and your problems seem to be very unusual. I can't help with the noise and comfort issues but you complain of still getting headaches and  a "stale air" feeling. Is there any suggestion of an oily smell? This seems to be a problem with some VAG cars (not just the Yeti) and is a quick and easy fix so if this is even a possibility you might want to read through this link.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/435685-oily-smell-in-car-skoda-yeti-12-tsi/

If it's worth investigating it would probably be worth removing the part to inspect it as a partial break might not be obvious from visual inspection.

The other thing that headaches and stale air suggest to me is whether there is a problem in the air conditioning/climate control system - could rodent damage be preventing flaps opening and closing as they should? I'm probably saying the obvious but with the aircon switched on if I select reverse there is a distinct change in sound as something closes; I was told it is to prevent exhaust fumes being draw into the car as you reverse but then I'm pretty gullible!!  😊 Again a quick check to see if you can hear anything happening. Also try using the control, buttons to switch between re-circulation and windscreen/footwell/face so see if you can detect changes which might give you some clues. 

Hope you get to the bottom of your problems because for most current and former owners the Yeti has been an excellent car.

• Like 1

Thanks Paul will follow up your ideas. Reassuring that the car has such a good reputation, perhaps I just need to hold in there.

Tried your ideas on the air conditioning system and all seems ok there, will follow up on the video  link you have given to check any possible pipe breaks.

Another possibility is that perhaps your aircon is needing cleaned.  Mould and bacteria can grow in the aircon system due to the damp caused by cooling the air.  You can get it professionally cleaned, or get a can of dettol aerosol spray cleaner (if you can find it in the shops at present !! ) and DIY the job.  Basically you get the car running put the aircon on running full chat, windows down, and go outside and fire about 1/3 can into the cabin fresh air intake.  Let it blow through, then reach in through the window and turn the ignition off.  Leave the car to air out for a while before before anything else, that dettol isn't going to do your lungs any good either!  Later go in, put the windows up, and spray a good dose in each air vent.  Then leave the car again for a while.

Also worth checking your pollen filter, that traps most of the muck heading into the cabin and things can start growing there.  Even if you've paid a garage to change it 8 months ago that doesn't mean it might not need doing again.  Easy enough to do, it's located behind a cover down in the passenger footwell,