Speedo needle LED replacement 2010 VRS

Hi all, I can't seem to find anywhere that sells the LED's for an instrument cluster or what these types of LED are called exactly. Just wondered if anyone knew where to get them from? 

I might not need them as sometimes the LED does work so it's hopefully just a loose connection but it might be worth replacing all of them whilst I have the chance

Thanks

Although LEDs do fail they are much more durable than the older incandescent bulbs so my first suggestion would be to simply locate the 'bad' LED and check using diode mode on your DMM, also checking continuity back along the PCB, chances are it's just a bad solder join.

14 hours ago, MicMac said:

Although LEDs do fail they are much more durable than the older incandescent bulbs so my first suggestion would be to simply locate the 'bad' LED and check using diode mode on your DMM, also checking continuity back along the PCB, chances are it's just a bad solder join.

Ok thanks I will try that I am hoping it's just a bad connection somewhere. It would be nice to have a spare LED ready though just incase it does need changing

If faulty, replace the LED with another from somewhere discrete on the board to match colour then salvage an LED from elsewhere e.g. TV backlight strip/torch etc and insert it where you took a donor.

I say discrete as any substitute may not be the same colour/brightness but may not be so apparent when not used on the main part of cluster.

I'm sure if you looked hard enough you'd find them online, don't be Skoda Octavia specific in searches, try the tube for guidance and go from there.  I still doubt the LED has failed instead a solder join has failed.

I would expect a whole bunch of LEDs to cost no more than a fiver including postage, there's nothing special about them.

* If you could, please post a closeup photo(s) of the LEDs to help future identification, preferably with a ruler showing mm in shot.

Edited by MicMac

You might want to take a look at this: 

I only needed to replace the LED’s that illuminated the Rev and Speed needles. I bought these from Rapid Electronics in Colchester:
Part Number: 55-2890
Spec: 3528 smd LED
6.5lm
120deg
30mA
3.1V

Once everything was put back together, the new LED’s are about 20% brighter then the old ones and not quite as white. However, because I replaced all the LED’s for the Rev and Speed needles, this difference is not as noticeable. You may be better off getting 5.5lm and 7000K led’s.

15 hours ago, langers2k said:

You might want to take a look at this: 

Best I could find that might be around 7000k are these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310402822610

Doesn't have all the info on there although I'm not actually sure I will need to replace any as the LED does work sometimes. I imagine an LED either works or it doesn't? So it's hopefully just a dry solder joint or something

in my experience repairing electronics I have seen LEDs dead, damaged, burned, exploded and some that worked intermittently.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies folks I have successfully replaced the LEDs for the Speedo. One of the originals seemed to still work so I guess the LEDs are in series? The LEDs I bought are brighter than the originals but I'm not too bothered about that. One thing. I noticed when testing other LEDs in the cluster is that my ABS light doesn't seem to work but I don't have a red or orange LED to replace it with so I left it. Think it probably hasnt worked for years but should pass an MOT without it anyway haha

Thanks again!

DSC_0006.JPG

A sharp eyed MOT tester should fail it for a non functioning ABS warning otherwise folks with faulty systems would just remove the bulb so to speak rather than spend money to rectify.

6 hours ago, MicMac said:

A sharp eyed MOT tester should fail it for a non functioning ABS warning otherwise folks with faulty systems would just remove the bulb so to speak rather than spend money to rectify.

I don't think it has ever worked in all the years I've owned it to be honest so it should be ok, never knew it was there lol. Does anyone know what colour the led should be for the abs warning light though? I'm guessing it's red, if it ever fails at least I know I can fix it soon enough