"dead zone / vibration" at DSG 3rd gear 26-29mph 2100-2200 rev

So, I drive my car a lot and I noticed about 2 weeks ago that as I was accelerating from stand still neutral, I would feel vibrations and hear sound something like if the tyres were losing grip in the rain, or if I was driving too fast on all season tyres rather than summer continentals on the motorway. 

Eventually I nailed it down to the issue making itself felt only in 3rd gear 26-29mph 2100-2200 rev, problem doesn't appear if I put the car into 2nd using semi auto mode so it doesn't up shift even at 27mph , nor when I accelerate slower in D so by 26mph its already in 4th. 

I'm thinking now that it's probably not a tyre issue, but rather DSG gearbox or maybe engine? Car is now at 165k. The first owner did not change DSG oil until 50k rather than 40k miles. But I have changed it between 37400-40k miles since I got it. I do like to force the DSG into first gear when driving slowly as I prefer the extra torque as I feel car goes into 2nd sooner / at slower speed than I would like, but unsure how that affects the 3rd gear issue that I'm having now.

Anyone with DSG gearbox have any ideas of what this might be? Thanks

On 04/08/2020 at 23:22, gav_is_con said:

Not from personal experience as not driving my s2 at the moment. Could it be the DMF causing said vibrations?  

This is a 2WD car right?

yeah, FWD 2L 170bhp DSG. 

I'm beginning to think it's to do with the shifting of the gear into 4th gear. because after 26-29 it would shift into 4th. And there was a clunk when I downshifted from 50 mph 5th gear into 4th gear. is it possible for a single gear to go bad? at least intermittently?

Have you checked for a DSG software update? They are renowned for electrical issues, could be a controller somewhere that needs updating or replacing. Worth a look. All DSG boxes shift into second as soon as you pull off unless you plant the pedal, I am not a fan of that. I would have the selector unit tested, if possible, normally main stealer, but there are lots of VAG independants out there that can do the job cheaper and often better. I wouldn't rule it out, not a cheap module to have done, but it sounds to me like it's an issue around that area.

Are there any lights on the dash? Have you got access to VCDS? If there is a fault it might not put a light on but it should still log a 'pending' fault code that you could read and act on that.