1.4TDI 70HP Map?

TN07

Evening! 

I've had my 07 Fabia 1 1.4TDI 70HP since new years eve and in the 10,000 miles i've done it's a rock solid car. Great history, been looked after most it's life by the small Skoda garage in Ludlow so as with all his cars it's known like his own! I have been throwing around the idea of getting it mapped. I had been looking at the 88hp eco map to give me some extra mpg's. However, a local mapping company have said it's a pointless job because of my current mpg's. Working out by hand (Don't have the fancy display!) my best is 65.5mpg with normal driving over 300 miles. City, motorway and A roads. 

Just wondering what people's views are who have this type. It's done nearly 150,000 miles and is very strong so no doubt can double that. But I don't want to ruin my economy by getting it done! 

OK, I don’t have an eco map, but my car has been mapped..... 

You’re getting good fuel economy as it is, which I have no doubt will get worse once you get it mapped as you’ll enjoy the change in performance ;) Plus, at 150k you may find that the increase in performance will put extra strain on old parts which may not like it!

Then you’ll probably wanna beef up the brakes... then it will take you a wee while to get back the money you’ve saved on fuel to cover the cost of the map and brakes, if you do at all. 

If I were you I would Keep it as it is and save your money, or change your car for one with a bit of performance. 

Edited by jars
  • Like 1

I get the point of the reply from Jars but also wanted to say, the Greenline version of your car already had 80BHP, straight from the factory though I have no idea why it differed as I am sure the engine is the same. The Greenie had the DPF filter and longer gearing so having the extra few ponies may well have benefitted. I have also had a little work done previously and the guy said he also altered or "Tuned" the car to produce 90 BHP. Again, a modest upgrade but there upgrade from 70 to 90 may well be a worth it difference.

I think you are lucky to get that mileage out of a gallon but extra power may drop it a little then again, a more powerful engine does less work so a fully laden car being driven gently, might be better off. Its mostly at speed and thrashing the motor where you will notice the difference in power AND fuel usage. Drive gently it will remain about the same, drive harder (And you may well want to) Use more fuel. 

Thanks all for your replies! I think I will keep it at the stock 70hp and enjoy the fuel economy! 

And I will agree if I got more power out of it I would end up giving it more welly! Overton Service Station's loan cars are mainly mk1 Fabia's with the 1.9TDI 100hp engines and every time I get one of those it's a hell of a treat with the mega speed 😂😉

• Haha 1

I feel I must point out though, Whilst it can easily achieve high MPG on a decent run, with a gentle-ish driving style, the Greenie (again, 1.4L turbo diesel) Well typically return mid -40's to low 50's on MPG, with students driving and a more then average amount of slower speed, less well executed gear changes, manoeuvres  etc.