Spare wheel size

Highlander19

Hi I am looking to get a spare wheel for taking on longer journeys. Tyre size on car is 225/50-17 but I think a "full" size spare is 205/60-16. 

Is this correct and would a 16" space saver be compatable or would it need to be a 17"

Confused.com

The official Yeti spare wheel is 195x60x16”.

The one linked to above certainly doesn’t look to be that size ( and makes no mention of tyre size) and more like a skinny space saver which is not approved for use on a Yeti.

14 hours ago, Highlander19 said:

Hi I am looking to get a spare wheel for taking on longer journeys. Tyre size on car is 225/50-17 but I think a "full" size spare is 205/60-16. 

Is this correct and would a 16" space saver be compatable or would it need to be a 17"

Confused.com

Many of the spare wheels sold on ebay to fit the Yeti, would be dangerous if actually used on the car. The only thing that makes many of them "suitable" for the Yeti is that they are capable of being physically bolted on, ie. they have a 5/112 BCD and 57.1mm hub centre bore. The outside diameters of the tyres on most of them are much less than the Yeti's standard 215/60R16 and 225/50R17 tyre sizes.

Most ebay sellers appear to keep the exact specifications of what they are selling a secret...and probably for good reason. They are selling to uninformed buyers. No mention is made of who makes the rims. They certainly aren't genuine Skoda OEM equipment...and who makes the jack? Is it even made to the same specification as the original Skoda jack?

Some of these spare tyres could be many years old. Rubber deteriorates with age.

Alcar 9257 Steel Rim 7Jx16 ET45 5/112 57.1

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheel/alcar-kfz-9257#21246586

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/alcar/14750851

For a spare tyre, maybe ask someone who is about to throw away their old tyres that they are replacing. I usually just throw my old tyres away when they are still legal and have plenty of tread remaining.

Edited by Carlston

13 hours ago, Highlander19 said:

That is NOT a suitable spare wheel for a Yeti. It is a silly ultra-narrow thing not probably and does not have the correct weight limits and is NOT Type Approved.

15 hours ago, Highlander19 said:

What is the full specification of the steel rim?

What is the full specification of the tyre?

A quick look on the Companies House website, shows that the limited company behind this ebay listing is a company from Glasgow and run by a clueless 21 year old. It's outrageous that this sort of behaviour is even legal in the UK. They are putting peoples lives at risk.

That seller has hundreds of listings claiming the same space saver wheel fits all Skoda Yeti cars, all Skoda Octavia cars from 2005, and all Skoda Superb cars from 2002. No doubt, if you look at the seller's other listings on ebay you would find that he also claims that this very same space saver spare wheel would fit just about every VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda car ever made. Put simply, these types of sellers are conmen. You are not getting a spare wheel that is correct for your car.

Edited by Carlston

1 hour ago, Llanigraham said:

That is NOT a suitable spare wheel for a Yeti. It is a silly ultra-narrow thing not probably and does not have the correct weight limits and is NOT Type Approved.

Bearing in mind all the potential problems highlighted in this thread perhaps you should call around a few Skoda dealers parts departments and get them to quote you for the whole kit including foam fitments etc. 

I leave you to make your choice whether to use a space saver spare on your Yeti, you have heard all the warnings from the others, I chose to do so because I have to be autonomous here and have the means to get my vehicle to a place of safety for a proper tyre repair or replacement, I only carry the wheel when I am going on a long journey, breakdown recovery to home insurance not existing here.

If you do decide to use one then you must do your research to find one that will be the right diameter and has a suitable weight limit, the VAG OE space savers have rims thicker than tank armour and the tyre rubber is thicker than a forklift, you would not believe the weight, twice that of a normal rim & tyre.

My Yeti has 215/60 R16 99H tyres, the only space saver I could find of the correct diameter was a Continental T125/70R18 99M, it has the identical weight limit of 775kg  as the standard tyres. It has to be inflated to 4.2 bar 😯

In an emergency situation with a puncture in an endroit where its not safe for me to repair the tyre (I carry a tyre plug kit + a mushroom plug kit) then I am not going to risk my life and that of other road users for the lack of a homologation certificate but neither would I want to drive on a 16" space saver that Abdul says is suitable for my vehicle without even giving the tyre size.

If you are going to do it then start by finding the diameter and weight limit of your tyres and research a space saver as close to it as you can get and if you use it drive slowly to a place of safety and no more.

I hope I never get to use mine, its never been used on the road.

• Like 1

Abdul Akhtar may only be 21 years old but there is no justification for calling him clueless.

In 10 years time he will probably be on Dragons Den or running a Transatlantic airline empire :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your replies and opinions, and I am now looking for a "full size" spare and floor kit.

This one is at a sale price of £234 at the moment, is it worth considering. 

https://seat-skoda.caffynsparts.co.uk/parts/skoda-parts/skoda-yeti-2wd-spare-wheel-kit-including-false-floor/

1 hour ago, Highlander19 said:

Thank you all for your replies and opinions, and I am now looking for a "full size" spare and floor kit.

This one is at a sale price of £234 at the moment, is it worth considering. 

https://seat-skoda.caffynsparts.co.uk/parts/skoda-parts/skoda-yeti-2wd-spare-wheel-kit-including-false-floor/

Looks like the official Skoda spare, I would still call a few dealers though. Try Rainworth Skoda, often do good deals.

I see my stalker is once again active with his downward facing red arrows.

I should be flattered, out of 4299 reactions he has only given 16 "not helpfull" red down arrows and I have received most of them.

I just have no idea why other than that I fitted my own towbar.

Nowt so queer as folk!

Edited by J.R.