Octavia DAB aerial...which cables?

Rjg

I've read a few Briskoda topics on this subject, but I could still do with a bit of help regarding the cabling.

I purchased a used 6R0 035 501 D from eBay, which I've just realised has the black fakra cable missing (annoyingly).  So first issue is I need to source a male, black, fakra A connector, as DAB was the main reason for upgrading.

Next stop; new cables to my Kenwood head unit. The white fakra for FM is currently plugged in, so I need an additional cable for the DAB, and might as well run GPS too.

So...will I need 5-6m of female black fakra to female SMB? (or presumably fakra-fakra with an SMB adapter, in case the HU was returned to OEM). I've heard people mention a 90deg SMB is useful, due to space behind the HU?

Then additionally, same legth female blue fakra to male blue fakra, with some sort of adapter to fit the Kenwood below?

19_DMX8019DABS_Backside.png

20200824_132201.jpg

20200824_095556 (2).jpg

Edited by Rjg
Change photo

Ah, so you bought the damaged one then. I'd wondered where it'd gone and if the new owner had seen the damage.

As regards the Kenwood. I'm presuming that unit provides 12v through the DAB aerial connection as 6R0 035 501 D requires 12v on the DAB connection. Unfortunately I can't see which is the DAB connection on the Kenwood unit, but ti's rather irrelevant as I wouldn't know which type of adapter it would need to go to a Fakra connection. However, 5Mtr Fakra extensions are available on Ebay, cheapest being this one. It's a Fakra Z extension and as such will fit any and all Fakra plugs, so you can buy 2 and use one for DAB & one for GPS, as long as you mark the DAB one as DAB etc. so there's no confusion. If you really want specific colours for the Fakra plugs then expect to pay double.

As regards a new DAB Fakra plug they're also available on Ebay. See here.

Edited by Rustynuts

The Kenwood manual states it uses SMB, but no mention of male or female. I whipped out my unit to check, as attached. 

The manual also states it outputs 14v for the DAB.

I've heard a few people raving about chinarf store on Ebay, so might give them a go for the cables. 

20200827_074115.jpg

I've  bought from China RF before. The cable is pretty much exactly the same as all the others I've bought from other suppliers.

Just for info, the Fakra cables are merely SMB connections in a plastic shroud, so you might find a Fakra connector will just fit onto the SMB connection on the Kenwood. It won't lock on like a Fakra will but I guess it's not subject to any pulling and pushing once installed so it might save you having to buy an adapter.