Karoq - Tent box

Tim1631

my cousin has one of these for his Jaguar XF and it looked pretty cool. He seems to like it 

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Just a word of slight caution - I know nothing about these however I know "Kids" and I know the the roof on the Karoq (and Fabia) is paper thin and very flexible/prone to dings from even a tiny pine cone falling from 5 feet. Be careful if you care about dents in the roof - they are expensive to get pulled out due to the location and size of the panel.  My wife parked under a tree in her new Fabia a few days after taking delivery and a tiny (really tiny) pine cone caused a dent that I notice every day from the upstairs window. 🙂  Not worth getting fixed for us as she is sometimes forced to park under trees at work.

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by smipx
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, smipx said:

Hi,

Just a word of slight caution - I know nothing about these however I know "Kids" and I know the the roof on the Karoq (and Fabia) is paper thin and very flexible/prone to dings from even a tiny pine cone falling from 5 feet. Be careful if you care about dents in the roof - they are expensive to get pulled out due to the location and size of the panel.  My wife parked under a tree in her new Fabia a few days after taking delivery and a tiny (really tiny) pine cone caused a dent that I notice every day from the upstairs window. 🙂  Not worth getting fixed for us as she is sometimes forced to park under trees at work.

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks Paul, it comes with a glass roof on the sportline 😎

I'd have to get it fixed I like my cars pristine lol

@smipx

Care needed fitting one then and how the ladder is attached and detached. 

A Roof Tent might well provide protection to the roof then if there was to be hail the size of golf balls or actual golf balls / footballs raining down on the car.

If a Helicopter can be landed on a platform attached to a Yeti then 'whats the worst that can happen' with a roof tent on a Karoq.

The combined weight of the bars, roof tent and fully fed children need taking into account. 

75kg. load capacity.

Must be worth checking out for 'Hardly Used' or never used ones on the Auction Sites.

Looks like you get what you pay for as far as easy to use.

The Cheaper / Bigger / maybe lighter ones could well be a real PITA to get down quickly if needs must as a storm rolls in and you need to pack up and go or shelter in the car.

Edited by e-Roottoot

For me personally - I just don't get the point of a tent on the roof of the car but then I am a "grumpy middle aged g*t".  For me I would feel that I  was taking a risk by doing anyting near the ultra expensive panoramic roof and creating a solution to a problem where none exists.    I guess if you are kids though it might be fun.   I can just imagine a nice heavy metal CREE torch being dropped onto the pana roof from 3 or 4 feet and having it shatter into a thousand million pieces or needing a "comfort break" in the night and having to fumble with the ladder (if its taken up like a drawbridge) and scratching the lovely chrome rails!!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, smipx said:

For me personally - I just don't get the point of a tent on the roof of the car but then I am a "grumpy middle aged g*t".  For me I would feel that I  was taking a risk by doing anyting near the ultra expensive panoramic roof and creating a solution to a problem where none exists.    I guess if you are kids though it might be fun.   I can just imagine a nice heavy metal CREE torch being dropped onto the pana roof from 3 or 4 feet and having it shatter into a thousand million pieces or needing a "comfort break" in the night and having to fumble with the ladder (if its taken up like a drawbridge) and scratching the lovely chrome rails!!

I wasn't suggesting you were a kid by the way - I meant your kids or the kids -  not you personally 🙂

• Haha 1

Another vote for ‘why bother?’ from me. Aside from adding drag to the car and taking up space you may actually benefit more from by carrying a standard roof box full of supplies, bike racks and/or other outdoor adventure gear, I really don’t see the point/benefit of these roof mounted tents - especially for use by kids. They’d be more than happy with a 4-person quick up tent currently on offer for £45 at Halfords I’m sure, and there’s less risk of a fall from height during a sleepy head nighttime toilet run... If you’re feeling flush on savings made by going for a standard tent option they’d probably thank you more for buying some decent self inflating mats (Exped Megamat 10 thoroughly recommended!) and perhaps a portable projector for some outdoor movie night fun ;-)

• Like 1