Which coolant please?

Arbour

Hi. I have a petrol Yeti 1.2 TSI 2011 model. It's coolant level has dropped right down and warning light is on. From my last car 2 years ago, I've got some pink Halfords OAT silicate-free concentrated

coolant, and called Halfords to check if I could use it as I need to be able to at least drive to a garage so they can look for a leak! Their system is down so they can't check if it's OK for this Yeti and I can't find info

on what code this collant is (G12. G13??)

Looking at car manual and other websites, looks like I need G13 - and it should be with silica, not silica free? Does anyone know? 

I also noticed I'm supposed to mix concentrated collant with dionised water, but never knew that and don't have any! 

Any help much appreciated.

Just top it up with (tap) water, but record how much you add so that the proportion of coolant to water can be corrected after the leak is resolved.  Low danger of it freezing unless you don't get it sorted for several weeks. If you do want to use de-ionised water it's widely available from any motor factors or even Tesco etc.  If you have Amazon Prime this looks like a good bargain that you could have on your doorstep tomorrow: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CarPlan-DIW250-De-Ionised-Water/dp/B00FRIH094/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3T612FNFKARZ4&dchild=1&keywords=de-ionised+water+2.5l&qid=1598374696&refinements=p_76%3A419158031&rnid=419157031&rps=1&sprefix=de-ionised%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-3

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

As Wino - use tap water to get you to a garage to get the problem fixed. Many years ago I drove around 150 miles to get home with a serious leak requiring a stop.cool down/top up bout every 30 or so miles. A rather stressful drive but no harm done to the engine. Personally I wouldn't worry about recording how much water you add because it sounds as though it's not been changed in at least two years so a a complete drain and refill would be sensible once te problem is solved.

Thank you v muchTrevor and Paul. I decided to educate myself online about coolants after I realised I knew nothing! So the car handbook says use G13 but the tank in the car has a sticker saying G12. From what I gather, it doesn't matter if they get mixed (just not with G11). I managed to get to a nearby garage and they say it needs a new water pump. 

• 3 years later...

In case anyone searches and arrives here, as I have just found out from my Skoda dealer parts man, the latest spec. coolant is now G12 Evo and from the parts man "does all models". 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, red2 said:

In case anyone searches and arrives here, as I have just found out from my Skoda dealer parts man, the latest spec. coolant is now G12 Evo and from the parts man "does all models". 

This is the stuff.

image.thumb.png.56e92a8676a007d04144a66ae56e8664.png