Superb Estate L&K radio upgrade - Android here I come!

I have finally decided to upgrade my trusty Columbus head unit in my Estate to a HU that supports Android Auto and a larger screen. 

I've ordered up a AudoTechDirect W8128 running Android 10, 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM, WiFi etc. I do have the upgraded sound system and will be doing the half hour battery removal to set the amp to switch on and off with the key. 

I shall be getting pictures tomorrow when I install it all 

• Like 1

I will look forward to seeing your results, cant have too many pictures of each stage if possible. connections etc

I have often wanted to do this but put off by potentially losing mfd/steering buttons/ system displays / proper FM reception (hate dab) and the sound system integration.  

I will also wait for wireless android auto integration. does yours have that?

Installation has been done and I will document here and then answer questions in another post. 

First things first for those with the Sound System upgrade is to remove the +ve wire from the battery (for at minimum 30 mins) to switch the amp from CAN-BUS switch on to power on off with the key. 

Next remove the surround from around the radio and the climate

534774371_IMG_20200831_084938(Medium).thumb.jpg.86ed631c2d6f802d490a6ff3bd7ddc6f.jpg 

Remove the screws and remove the connections from the headunit

270924061_IMG_20200831_085226(Medium).thumb.jpg.e2d5a540706edd3bc1b83fa60795cae7.jpg

I also removed the side trim down by the console to be able to run some cables from the head unit for USB expansion.

673062911_IMG_20200831_085322(Medium).thumb.jpg.d447200895b582083dc558516bc08a9e.jpg

Next I removed the climate panel so I could pass a USB cable through and pop out above the ash tray

2123673311_IMG_20200831_085658(Medium).thumb.jpg.598616f8b51a74709fd160987ee66e87.jpg

I then drilled a small hole through the bottom

77883557_IMG_20200831_090027(Medium).thumb.jpg.3880d0249d0a249e1f6c9d113631a438.jpg

Here's my USB cables for AA and data

127538226_IMG_20200831_090407(Medium).thumb.jpg.292ddcc8c3259e38acf13ae16cfe080d.jpg

I fitted the WiFi aerial

1903797168_IMG_20200831_090908(Medium).thumb.jpg.de0e02ffd586e0786ae8baa3f7255995.jpg

I also bought the SMA to FAKRA connector for the GPS aerial already in the car

94155078_IMG_20200831_090942(Medium).thumb.jpg.ab863a62c5dd33b10bdc7efaa2a07e7b.jpg

The quad lock was very tight and I had to pull a bit of slack through, I would recommend an extension if you can. 

1682442561_IMG_20200831_091428(Medium).thumb.jpg.c8115025dcd2b01071cbff2fa4ee971b.jpg

Moment of truth! Put the battery back on and wait for it to boot! I then tested the radio and got good sound from it. The radio signal isn't as good as the Columbus. My Columbus was showing only a few satellites in view, this was showing 14 and 14 locked on!

I took a bit of time to set things up. I added a 128GB uSD card for music and videos. Tweaked the door settings etc. You have to use Zlink app to launch android auto (I was expecting it to auto launch.

1085392672_IMG_20200831_170549(Medium).thumb.jpg.c212bfa8590b9abe630d88149d18a67e.jpg

I found a setting to increase the resolution of Android Auto.

I've not used it too much yet; few observations:

• No nav commands in maxidot
  • SWC work well still
  • You need to disconnect the bluetooth module from your car
  • WiFi is so-so with my home network (Ubiquti Unifi gear)
  • USB port for AA is only charging my P3XL and wife's P3aXL slowly and actually draining the phone - email sent to Audio Tech Direct
  • Needed to swap the doors over

IMG_20200831_091132 (Medium).jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, superbdreams said:

I will look forward to seeing your results, cant have too many pictures of each stage if possible. connections etc

I have often wanted to do this but put off by potentially losing mfd/steering buttons/ system displays / proper FM reception (hate dab) and the sound system integration.  

I will also wait for wireless android auto integration. does yours have that?

It is wired AA connection rather than wireless. I believe XTrons do one with a wireless dongle but that would have been around £400, which is more than I wanted to spend. 

20 hours ago, LBLJ said:

To me, no maxidot display is unfortunately a no-go.

This was something that concerned me as well as I like the commands without having to look down to far. But with the bigger screen it is less of an issue than I first thought it would be. 

I've moved the usb cable to a different slot and still get android auto but it is charging correctly. 

So far so good. Screen is more reflective than the old Columbus screen. We'll have to see how that goes 

Nice job!

What year is your Superb? I have a -14 one with Sound system and is looking into replacing my problematic Columbus (stuck at splash screen most days) with something else (or fixing ti) and was looking at the ones from ATD but they say that the sound system wouldn't work as it can't start up the external amp. So does the trick with removing battery cable actually work or do you need a specific "version" of amp/canbus/model?

I do not really care about sat/nav (can use phone..) and only want to be able to play radio or use Bluetooth for spotify or handsfree calls so these Android HUs seem to be the most cost effective way.

On 02/09/2020 at 10:02, timeouten said:

Nice job!

What year is your Superb? I have a -14 one with Sound system and is looking into replacing my problematic Columbus (stuck at splash screen most days) with something else (or fixing ti) and was looking at the ones from ATD but they say that the sound system wouldn't work as it can't start up the external amp. So does the trick with removing battery cable actually work or do you need a specific "version" of amp/canbus/model?

I do not really care about sat/nav (can use phone..) and only want to be able to play radio or use Bluetooth for spotify or handsfree calls so these Android HUs seem to be the most cost effective way.

Hi, 

62 plate (pre-FL) but I think the sound system is the same whether it is pre or post fl. 

I can get the amp part number tomorrow for you to compare to. 

I've ordered a radio amplifier to try and fix the poor radio reception. 

This is what I have fitted:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nathanio said:

I've ordered a radio amplifier to try and fix the poor radio reception

i thought the superb had an aerial amplifier (did i dream this?) for which the columbus supplied power, could it be a case of turning on a setting in the new unit to power the amp through the aerial input?

un powered aerial amps actually block the signal so amping it after this blockage wont be very successful.

It would have the diversity antenna system which uses two antennae mounted at different locations, at least i have two cables for radio antennas connected.

19 hours ago, Nathanio said:

I've ordered a radio amplifier to try and fix the poor radio reception. 

Have you connected both or just one of the cables to the AL adaptor? To me it looks like it just has the option to use one.

• 1 year later...
On 30/08/2020 at 22:29, Nathanio said:

I have finally decided to upgrade my trusty Columbus head unit in my Estate to a HU that supports Android Auto and a larger screen. 

I've ordered up a AudoTechDirect W8128 running Android 10, 4GB RAM, 64GB ROM, WiFi etc. I do have the upgraded sound system and will be doing the half hour battery removal to set the amp to switch on and off with the key. 

I shall be getting pictures tomorrow when I install it all 

Hi Nathanio 

I have purchased the same unit as you from Auto Tech Direct.

A question I need answering is how would I know if I have the upgraded sound system?

Thanks

On 15/05/2022 at 09:39, Tresco said:

Hi Nathanio 

I have purchased the same unit as you from Auto Tech Direct.

A question I need answering is how would I know if I have the upgraded sound system?

Thanks

You'll have an extra speakers in the front doors. It's near the door handle. There is an amp under the passenger seat 

2 hours ago, superbdreams said:

the greenline doesnt have the sound amp or extra / better speakers.

But it could have been specced as an option