Wheel balance weights question

DSL

Do I need to have tyres fitted to Karoq rims using “internal” weights, or old school external weights be used.  By internal I mean inside the rim, and these are standard SE 17” Ratikons.  They have the old internal weights from manufacture still on, plus the Ratikons on my car have internal weights.  Not sure if my local garage, that does tyres, would do these fancy weights.

Not sure what you mean by "internal" but here is one answer. When I have watched tyres being balanced the machine not only shows the 'o'clock' position but also where 'side to side' the weight should be placed. Modern wheels being so wide makes this necessary. 

tom

• Like 1

Was struggling to find a description, here’s what I merrily call internal.  These are the same rim, at about 90deg to each other.

B87C1743-11F5-4F32-BE1A-3AE59E9BA04A.thumb.jpeg.e3d43021fd0f1c23d2e9699bc27ea6e3.jpeg

E8A85087-EEDA-47C2-B161-A8429D8746F7.thumb.jpeg.b0edb424e88816854f34290beeb3e00f.jpeg

This is the only position the alloys will accept these days, as the outside of the rim will not accept them and anyway would look awful if used there like they did with clip on weights to steel rims.

They just stick on and anyone with a balancing machine will use these now.

Any existing weights are removed when tyres are replaced before balancing anew.

Edited by kenfowler3966