New and looking to buy - advise plz

Hi all. I’m buying a VRS 2015, got my eye on a few. Hoping to get one with DSG. 

what should I be looking out for apart from the basics etc?
A mate tells me about a cold crank issue which needs a FW update and I’m seeing some posts about the water pump. 

I’ve been quoted £199 from my local Škoda dealer to get the DSG done regardless, just for peace of mind. 

cheers all. 

@Doombrain no probs, Im not a diesel expert so I won't say too much but theres lots of people on here who are! Even I have heard about the water pump problem, not sure sure about the cold crank issue.

I think the 2015 will be the older version of DSG, the DSG can deal with the extra power from the map than the manual I believe. You need to be making sure that the DSG services are up to date though. I'll bow out now but best of luck 👍 

• Thanks 1

The dsg oil service is every 40k which includes a filter change. I have the non vrs 2.0 diesel and the dealer systems had missed this service (seems to happen a lot from my research) but got done at point of sale so worth getting it done for peace of mind.

Gear selector switch in the DSG can fail, cheaper fix now rather than replacing the whole thing there is a thread on it. 

Have you got any details on mileage you are looking at? 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, paulski said:

The dsg oil service is every 40k which includes a filter change. I have the non vrs 2.0 diesel and the dealer systems had missed this service (seems to happen a lot from my research) but got done at point of sale so worth getting it done for peace of mind.

Gear selector switch in the DSG can fail, cheaper fix now rather than replacing the whole thing there is a thread on it. 

Have you got any details on mileage you are looking at? 

Thanks for the info. 

Little back story, I did have a new Karoq 1.5 TSI Sportline on order but then the end of the world happened and it was cancelled. Now I’m returning to work and the company has canned company cars so I need something that will get to around 200k without a bunch of issues (like my BMW X1 has had). 

anyway I’m looking at cats with 60 to 80k on and with FSH only. Interesting that the DSG is missed, seems I’m doing the right thing with getting it booked in for a DSG service once I find one. 

irritatingly there’s a perfect one not far from me but I need to wait for a new work contract before I can go see it. 

I don't see any BMW taxis in Brighton but there are loads of Octavia's still running around. Oil change every 10k and all other filters at 20k, easy to remember. Check at inspection what service plan the car is on. It tells you in the service menus. Forget any longlife variable servicing sales bull.

You might not push the dpf through to 200k but it probably won't cost BMW money...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/09/2020 at 19:51, ExSEAT said:

@Doombrain no probs, Im not a diesel expert so I won't say too much but theres lots of people on here who are! Even I have heard about the water pump problem, not sure sure about the cold crank issue.

I think the 2015 will be the older version of DSG, the DSG can deal with the extra power from the map than the manual I believe. You need to be making sure that the DSG services are up to date though. I'll bow out now but best of luck 👍 

seems this is the cold crank issue I was told about. Good to see it’s sorted. 

There is nothing wrong with Variable / Flexible Services so 'Long Life' with a TDI doing 30,000 miles per year.

3 oil changes a year is just not nessecary.

If you were doing 'other filter' changes every 20,000 miles that might well be the Pollen / Cabin filter needing changed or at least cleaned, 

but changing a 'Air Filter' & Fuel filter every 8 months would not be 'Simply Clever' on a high annual mileage car not being used in a City as a Taxi.

DSG oil changes would be every 16 months or so if doing at 40,000 miles, 

that would be near enough when each 2nd Oil & Filter change would be getting done on Variable / Flexible Servicing 

and when the Air Filter might be needing changed.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

A fair comment on variable servicing on cars that are hauling lots of miles and not  city runs. I missed the 30k per annum above so indeed variable would still see an oil change once per annum and filters would come as a when. 

22 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

There is nothing wrong with Variable / Flexible Services so 'Long Life' with a TDI doing 30,000 miles per year.

3 oil changes a year is just not nessecary.

If you were doing 'other filter' changes every 20,000 miles that might well be the Pollen / Cabin filter needing changed or at least cleaned, 

but changing a 'Air Filter' & Fuel filter every 8 months would not be 'Simply Clever' on a high annual mileage car not being used in a City as a Taxi.

DSG oil changes would be every 16 months or so if doing at 40,000 miles, 

that would be near enough when each 2nd Oil & Filter change would be getting done on Variable / Flexible Servicing 

and when the Air Filter might be needing changed.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes

Cheers. I’ve had company cars most of my driving life. I’m going to drive this car into the ground so I’m going to self service mainly because I enjoy it so will be sticking to a 12 month routine. Think I’m also going to get the tools I need for the DSG box for servicing. 

If you buy a used car from Skoda you get additional 2 years warranty, 2 services, 2 years MOT cover and 2 years breakdown assistance. Good peace of mind and I didn't really  pay any more for mine versus a car supermarket etc.