What's this pipe / tube by the rear wheel (driver's side)?

Hawthorn654

In your first picture I can see what looks like the steel damper rod exposed behind the tyre.

I'm not familiar with the Fabia, but on my Superb this is covered with a plastic tube to stop the filth from the tyre ruining the damper oil seal.

Might be something to check.

Firstly, I did the water test this afternoon and it did indeed come out of the pipe.  Only a very small amount, like three or four drops, so I think the pipe might be a bit blocked.  But I'm happy enough knowing what it is and that it isn't something vitally important than has disconnected.  

Secondly, thanks for the heads up RE the damper rod.  So do I need to get something done / replaced and if so could anyone point me in the right direction please?  We recently had a rear shock absorber changed and the mechanic didn't say anything then.  Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure they've always been like that on the car.  And I've just been out to check and it is the same on the other side.  Would be good to get it sorted though if it is not right.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Hawthorn654 said:

Secondly, thanks for the heads up RE the damper rod.  So do I need to get something done / replaced and if so could anyone point me in the right direction please?  We recently had a rear shock absorber changed and the mechanic didn't say anything then.  Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure they've always been like that on the car.  And I've just been out to check and it is the same on the other side.  Would be good to get it sorted though if it is not right.

Cheers

The dampers have to be removed and the damper top mounts taken off the piston rod to replace the bump stops and plastic sleeves (if the sleeves are damaged). You can often reuse the plastic sleeves if undamaged. The bottom of the bump stops twist into the top of the plastic sleeves and hold them up.

Example of kit with sleeves...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-FABIA-1-2-1-4-1-6-1-9D-2-REAR-SHOCK-ABSORBER-PROTECTORS-BUMP-STOP-KITS/330748356618?hash=item4d0223680a:g:mAQAAMXQ0v1RZkga

Bump stops can be bought separately if required.

26641598992-7ec8834c87-b.jpg

26709105936-e7f6e75664-b.jpg

26462197170-64bf12295f-b.jpg

26734833435-31b264e95c-b.jpg

Edited by TMB