VED rates

AndyC

Anyone else had an issue with this?

The online brochure and configurator both say that the 1.5l Edition produces 150 grams of CO2, which puts it in Band H £215pa. However looking at the invoice I have been charged £540 which is Band I. Quite a price hike. The car has now appeared on the DVLA website and CO2 is stated as 151 grams Band I. That 1 gram makes a big difference of £325 pa. I'll moan at my dealer for not pointing this out, but I doubt anything will happen.

Andy

Edited by AndyC
incorect figure

Yes mine cost £1305 on registration.

However better than a few years ago when the Ford Mustang was £1150 a year, for ever.

So buy a second hand pre April 2017 Ford Mustang and annual road tax stays at £1150 or so, can't recall exact amount

Buy a post April 2017 Mustang or similar and after the pain of year 1 it is £150 like my car will be, plus annual inflation.

I know which age I would buy!

A pre April 150 Yeti was £185 every year.

Re first year’s VED, that was one of the advantages of buying mine pre-registered, first years VED is paid by Skoda UK and I just pay the usual £150.  That and the 10k/31% off the list price. :biggrin:

Edited by DSL

Page 31 of the 15th September price list/brochure seems to show this table. I'd expect other issues to be the same as it's standard for all price lists. 

3 hours ago, DSL said:

Re first year’s VED, that was one of the advantages of buying mine pre-registered, first years VED is paid by Skoda UK and I just pay the usual £150.  That and the 10k/31% off the list price. :biggrin:

Now thats interesting, garage register the car, pay the hugeinitial tax and take it off the road before the following month which you can do legally. Do they get 11/12's of tax back and new owner of 1 month old car pays the reduced amount, or is it a once and for all charge with no refund. They can't pass the paid for tax on to the new owner anyway as it has to be renewed on purchase? The owner pays the tax, it can't remain on the car now and this catches many out, buying a car and driving it home. They may have arranged insurance but it can't get taxed that quick!

Theoretically could I take my 3 month old car off the road, get a refund of near £900, and then retax again at £155????

From what the dealer said, they get stung with the first years VED, then it’s standard standard VED for the eventual owner even if immediately SORNed after registering.  I don’t know how much refund they get back but I’d think it would just be 11/12s of the standard £150 VED, not the uplifted chunk of the first year VED.  If they got 11/12s of it all then the new owner would then be paying for the claimed back uplifted chunk, which deffo isn’t the case. 

PS And taxing the car only took a few minutes, all you need is the reg, V5 ref number and a credit card.  Simples. 

Edited by DSL

Did you by any chance include any options when ordering your car?

The reason I ask is that I nearly got caught out when adding the protection pack to my car at the dealers.  Having configured my car at home I noted the CO2 figure was 150 g/km, however, when the salesman produced the order form for me check the VED figure was showing the car in the next tax band I.e. £540 per year.

We discovered that by adding the protection pack to my configuration it added 1 point to the CO2 figure making the output 151 g/km, effectively making the cost of the £200 protection pack, £525.  When removed the output went back down to 150 g/km.  As a consequence I decided it would be cheaper to buy the protection pack parts after the car arrived.

When back Home I tried the configurator and found that by adding things like the wheel arch protectors/spare wheel/protection pack added 1 point to the output figure in certain configurations.

I was wondering, did you add an option and not notice the change in the CO2 figure?

Remember that the £540 is just first year, 2nd onwards is £150 or whatever it’s nudged up to.  Unless the list car is over £40k that is, then theirs additional VED to pay for years 2 - 5, £325 rings a bell.

That’s true, however, I only paid £215 first year VED because I kept the car within the 150 g/km limit by not having the protection pack fitted.  Had I had it fitted the first year VED would have been £540 because the emissions would have increased by 1 point taking it up into the next tax band.

On 02/10/2020 at 15:57, kenfowler3966 said:

Now thats interesting, garage register the car, pay the hugeinitial tax and take it off the road before the following month which you can do legally. Do they get 11/12's of tax back and new owner of 1 month old car pays the reduced amount, or is it a once and for all charge with no refund. They can't pass the paid for tax on to the new owner anyway as it has to be renewed on purchase? The owner pays the tax, it can't remain on the car now and this catches many out, buying a car and driving it home. They may have arranged insurance but it can't get taxed that quick!

Theoretically could I take my 3 month old car off the road, get a refund of near £900, and then retax again at £155????

The VED refund is lower of :

First year rate

Annual rate for second year onwards

Seems the legislation was drafted to still sting if first year rates are lower