Updating satnav

Depends if you have the Amundsen or Columbus system. The Amundsen requires the Skoda supplied SD card, but you just download the updated map data to that card, you do not need to purchase a new card unless one wasn’t supplied then I would take it up with the dealer as to why.

I you have the Columbus you can use any 32Gb SD card to download and install the updated map data.

https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/

Edited by Kenny R

There are several ways to check if it’s Amundsen or Columbus, so here’s just a couple...

Select Media > Source. If you have an option of ‘Jukebox’ then it’s Columbus as that’s the music/video storage partition of the internal  HDD (the same HDD that also stores the map data).

Alternatively remove all SD cards and if you still have mapping in the Navigation mode and can select a destination then, again, you have Columbus.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded update for my Columbus on to my hard drive (MIB 1 / MIB 2) as per instructions - a mere 2 hrs............ and transferred to a 32gb  flash drive plugged in to the USB port next to the cigarette lighter. I'm getting a message back 'No data available. Please insert with software data or check source' Can the satnav be updated this way or is a SIM card a must? My 'pooter only has USB ports.................

Suggestions appreciated....................

I just did this the other day. Cannot comment on the USB, I used a mSD with SD adaptor with 64gb card formatted exfat. The files should be stored as:

X:\metainfo2.txt
X:\Mib1
X:\Mib2

Worked for me first time. I put it on install and turned off the car and locked it, it was still installing 12 hours later, but at least I didn't need to have the engine running.

22 hours ago, ericsuperb said:

I downloaded update for my Columbus on to my hard drive (MIB 1 / MIB 2) as per instructions - a mere 2 hrs............ and transferred to a 32gb  flash drive plugged in to the USB port next to the cigarette lighter. I'm getting a message back 'No data available. Please insert with software data or check source' Can the satnav be updated this way or is a SIM card a must? My 'pooter only has USB ports.................

Suggestions appreciated....................

Yes you can use a USB memory stick of 32 GBytes capacity or larger. The problem often seems to be that somewhere during the process of copying the files to the USB stick, they get copied inside a folder on the USB stick rather than to the root of the USB stick - see the bottom of this post.

This is the procedure for the Satnav update for a Columbus 9.2 inch using a Windows 10 PC to download and prepare the update. No extra software required for a Windows 10 pc (i.e. you don't need to use 7zip or anything else).

The procedure for Amundsen is different.

1. Went on to the Skoda update portal, put in my VIN and the ECE2020 maps update was available.

2. Downloaded the map file to my PC. It was 26 GBytes and took about 2 hours on my average 32Mbps broadband connection

3. This gave me a zipfile called "HIGH12_P187-EU_202022.zip"

4. I unzipped this to the hard drive of my PC (Right-click on the file and select "Extract All")

5. This took a while but I ended up with a new folder with the same name as the original zip file ( "HIGH12_P187-EU_202022")

6. Inside this folder were two subfolders - Mib1 and Mib2 - and a file called metainfo2.txt. These 3 items are all that you need.

7. Took a 32 GByte USB stick, connected it to the PC, and formatted it to FAT32 (go to "This PC" in File Explorer, right-click on the USB stick icon, select "Format" and select "FAT32" as the "File system").

8. I selected the three items from step 6 above (i.e. the folders Mib1, Mib2 and the file metainfo2.txt ) and copied these to the USB stick

9. This process took about another 2 hours

10. Connected the USB stick to the USB socket in the car.

11. Switched on ignition, opened Satnav, tapped the settings icon, then "Version information", then "Update (SD/USB")

12. It took a few minutes but then it started to upload the data with a percentage display showing progress

13. It took about 40 minutes to complete the upload - ignition has to be on so best to do this whilst driving somewhere.

That is it -  but note the time it takes to download, copy to USB, and install in the car.

Note there should only be 1 file "metainfo2.txt" and 2 folders "Mib1" and "Mib2" at the top (root) level of the USB stick. If there are any other files showing in addition to those then delete them from the USB stick before step 10 above.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you extract the downloaded zip file directly to the USB stick/SD card then check if the extraction process creates a new folder and copies the files inside that folder. That would mean the required files would NOT be in the root/top level but would be inside a folder and therefore would not be found by the Columbus. This is why I recommend extracting the zip file to the hard drive of the computer first, then copying the resulting files manually to the USB stick/SD card as this gives you more control over where the files are copied to.

This is how the USB stick/SD card should look at the root level

MapUpdates.JPG

Edited by BOD20

I have the Columbus system according to the Skoda Portal via VIN no. My current map version is 2015/2016 but there is no SD card in either slot in the glove box but my sat nav works. Do I need to buy a Skoda branded SD card?

2 minutes ago, the_worrier said:

I have the Columbus system according to the Skoda Portal via VIN no. My current map version is 2015/2016 but there is no SD card in either slot in the glove box but my sat nav works. Do I need to buy a Skoda branded SD card?

No. Your Columbus system doesn't use an SD card for SatNav. 

You can update the SatNav using the procedure above using either a USB memory stick or ANY SD card (not a Skoda one) but note that you'll need a 32 GByte card/USB stick as there is a lot of data to download.

10 minutes ago, the_worrier said:

So, been and bought a good quality 32Gb mSD with adaptor. Just updating my laptop. Have an SD slot in the laptop. Do I format the card? FAT32?

Yes, FAT32 will do the job.

Be prepared for things to take a while to download/transfer etc.

And make sure the folders "Mib1", "Mib2" and the file "metainfo2.txt" are at the top  (root) of the SD card's folder structure before you put it in the car. See the screenshot above for what you should see when you browse the SD card from your laptop.