BACK FROM THE DARK SIDE

Kevgem

hi to everyone, i went over to the dark side for a couple of years lol and have now decided it was time to get another skoda so i have got my self a (2013 superb estate 4x4 cr 2.0 tdi  170bhp) is there anything i need to keep an eye on or look for on this year and model ? any heads up on this model would be appreciated ?

cheers kev 

Edited by Kevgem

To @Kevgem - Look for poor quality water pumps. They like to lose coolant and need to be changed. Another Problem is "DPF"-Filter. If You do not take care for properly finished regenerations, there is chance the diesel fuel to go into the motor oil and You will see level of motor oil to start rising above maximum. You will need to change the oil as soon as possible in this situation. You need to take care for "Haldex 4"-System, too. I mean - change of all oils and the filter.

Also the EGR will not last more than 150kkm. Mine died at 135kkm. The problem is in the design but VW will not admit it. The whole repair job took half a day and cost aprox 500euros in Romania - the part is very well hidden. Only the original part is recommended to be used as replacement.

On my car I have a lot of issues due to poor wire-ing: heated seats & adaptive headlights not working due to a poor fuse contacts. Sometimes I get errors from the airbag seat sensors, various lights working only on full moon days etc. 

My engine is the 140bhp and I am very happy with it, lots of power and acceleration. Yours should be more fun. 

Also i am very happy with the noise insulation - very little noise at 140km/h

thanks for reply lads, looking through the paper work the haldex was changed 24,000 miles ago, how often dose the heldex need looking at?

it has been getting serviced every 5 to 6 thousand miles, which is the exact same time as i service my cars, so happy with that.

i have only had the car for a week or so and iam really getting on with it, i am enjoying driving it and already  prefer driving it over the car that i have just sold

cheers kev 

p.s what speck engine oil will it be ?

the reason i ask is the previous owner has been using (fully synthetic 0x30) but i have always used (5x30)  on my cars!

Edited by Kevgem
adding a question

cheers bud!

that is what i would have put in my self just thought i had better ask just encase there was a reason for the last owner using 0w30 and not 5w30 ?

i have been using 5w30 fully synthetic low saps for my last 2 or 3 cars a didn't know if there was a reason to use 0w30  on this engine

cheers kev

couple more questions if you dont mind!

how many miles is it between cam belt and water pump change?

i dont think there is a service schedule for the haldex and filter clean, but how many miles is advised between service i.e new oil and the filter type thingy cleaned ? 

any recommendations on miles between auto gearbox oil and filter change?

many thanks kev

To @Kevgem - For every type of oil (Engine, "DSG6", "Haldex" etc) - it is very important how the Car is driven. It is one if You start the Engine and travel 500 Kilometers on highway without stop the Engine and it is another if You drive 10 Kilometers in city, stop the Engine 5 times and the oil get cooled and need to be heated every time when You start again the Engine. My personal advice for "DSG6"-Oil is: Change (only with "OEM"-Oil) on 30.000 Kilometers city driving, 40.000 Kilometers mixed driving and 50.000 Kilometers of highway driving. For the "Haldex 4" it is OK to change the oil and filter on 50.000 Kilometers. About the Engine cam belt and water pump - 80.000 Kilometers or 4 Years.

thats great exactly what i needed to know, thanks very much to everyone for the advise just one more reason for coming back to a skoda the forum members are more than happy to help if they can 

thanks again kev

• Like 1

Your gen 4 haldex has a proper replaceable filter, not just the gauze on the pump. Make sure the filter is replaced. 

Beyond that you must make sure you use the correct drain plug for the haldex, very easy to get confused with the rear diff drain. Many instances of people draining diff and topping up haldex meaning you diff is now dry. 

rrrrrrrrrrrrr ok thanks again 

i gave my new car well new to me, its first long run yesterday covering nearly 1,000 miles motorway first long distance run i have used it for since buying it a week or so ago and it past with flying colors !

i know nothing about how the dpf works and when it would do a re gen, is there no light that comes up on the dash to tell you when it is doing one or when it has finished doing one?

with my car doing so many miles yesterday and getting good and worm would it have done one with out me knowing ?

or they just do a re gen when and if it needs to be done?

what sort of temperature would my engine oil get to on long motorway runs?

cheers kev.

p.s i only found out yesterday when playing around with all the buttons i had a bit of time to kill why sat in front of the steering wheel for a few hours lol

i can check the oil temp ! 

coolant temp right in the middle never budged off that