Fabia Key

One of the keys for my wife's Fabia has died. Not just a flat battery as I changed the battery and it still would not work. Any idea how much a replacement would cost? 

Its possible the battery you put in is duff you could try swapping the battery from the spare key, sorry if you have already tried that. The replacement key and fob are expensive I had to replace a lost key 10 years ago and it was £130 then. 

Edited by JoePeddos

I would assume the dealer would quote about £200-250 for a replacement key fob, unless they just replace the internals which would be cheaper.  If you have the KESSY option, expect it to be £300+

A key can be damaged by dropping it onto a hard surface. The other more likely way to "fail" is if the key has not been used for a while and it has lost synchronization.

Regaining synch varies between models but for my Octavia it says:

"If the vehicle cannot be unlocked by actuating the remote control system then it
is possible that the code in the key and the control unit in the vehicle are no longer
synchronised. This can occur when the buttons on the radio-operated key are
actuated a number of times outside of the operative range of the equipment or
the battery on the remote control was replaced.
This means it is necessary to synchronise the code as follows:
› press any button on the remote control key;
› pressing of the button means that the door will unlock with the key within 1 minute."

For some other VAG vehicles the process (from my poor memory!) is to open the car with the good key, then turn on the ignition and open the driver's window (as a safeguard). Then use the key blade of the "faulty" key to lock and open the driver's door. This will rewrite the faulty key.

Note the comment above about having to do this procedure when you change the battery in the key. I have never found it necessary.

Look in your driver's handbook as there may be a paragraph about re-synch in the key section of "Using the System"

I should have said the red Led on the dead key does not light when you press the buttons. I have phoned the dealer and it will be almost £200 for a new key. A price which is scandalous. 

I had one like that on a previous car after the key had been dropped. I opened it up and found that a solder joint on the pc board had failed. Soldered it up and it worked again.

However, replacing the key is the way to be sure there are no further issues. 

Others who replaced lost keys through a Skoda dealer have reported on here that it takes about 4 weeks as it is custom made and then shipped from the Continent.