1.9 TDI BLT No power, cant rev over 1400RPM

sakta

Sorry, another topic, again... but seeing as some like Wino, sepul know more than any mechanic around here does, Ill try

My original turbo failed at 170,000 miles. Since then, I've had it replaced, and after the replacement the car was clearly down on power, and burnt oil, still drove though. That turbo managed 15,000 before failing (cheap used ebay jobbie)

I've replaced the turbo again with a refurb one, cleaned out the intercooler pipes from all the oil the old one left when it failed, deleted the EGR and anti shudder valve, but now the car has literally no power.

It can't rev above 1400RPM or so, is a little smokey and if I press the pedal down further than 40%, I get a knocking sound from the engine (see video attached). Doesn't seem to be any boost leak as there is no air whooshing sound

It seems to idle okay, every 10-20 seconds or so it feels as it if just about to die though.

My car has been parked at the mechanics for a week, he is far too busy and claims issue must be software as I deleted the EGR, but there are no error codes for the EGR, just the ASV valve.

What could it be? Only thing I could think of was the N75 vacuum tube as the mechanic didn't block it initially, but that's been plugged and no change

14 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

Are you sure the correct vacuum line has been plugged, the N75 valve controls the VNT actuator, if you've plugged that one by mistake then you'll get no boost at all.

I plugged the only one that was removed, being for the EGR which is labelled "2"

A bit of history required:-

Did the new turbo ever function properly.

Did you EGR delete when the new turbo was fitted.

If you did it yourself, how did you do it and if through a map edit have you tried re-loading the old map.

While I would not expect much boost at 1400rpm, if you used an OBD2 dongle, an android phone and Torque you can view boost in real time.

18 minutes ago, KeithCheetham said:

A bit of history required:-

Did the new turbo ever function properly.

Did you EGR delete when the new turbo was fitted.

If you did it yourself, how did you do it and if through a map edit have you tried re-loading the old map.

While I would not expect much boost at 1400rpm, if you used an OBD2 dongle, an android phone and Torque you can view boost in real time.

• When I bought the car originally it drove fine, had normal power and was remapped. No problems at all till joined a motorway with launch control :D which made the turbine blow.
  • 1st replacement turbo (now failed) - car was burning oil and down on power with this fitted. Gradually it got worse, sometimes it would enter limp mode and not run on boost at all, sometimes it would make a loud weird whining noise, which was fixed by turning car off and on. 
  • The new, currently fitted turbo was fitted at the same time as the EGR delete, was fitted by mechanic so unsure what was done but confirmed that he did blank off the EGR port on the turbo
  • I've tried both the original map, and a new map where I made some changes, both with and without the EGR deleted, as well as disabling MAF so it runs purely off the ECU map. In all cases nothing changes, it stayed the same