Rapid Spaceback engine/fuel

Diesel has 100kg extra over the front wheels.

Handling/ Ride/ Tyre wear are going to be inferior IMHO.

Not to mention that I find modern diesels take back all the fuel cost savings in increased maintenance and repair.

Edited by camelspyyder

I have been driving diesels exclusively for the last 20 years (time flys) and as someone that does their own repairs the maintenance costs are far less than the petrol engined vehicles that I had driven, repaired & serviced for the 25 years before that.

The savings in spark plugs alone have been considerable, I did replace all 4 glowplugs on my MK2 Octavia (£30 or so) but they made not the slightest bit of difference so the money did not need spending, with long life oil my service intervals are twice what they used to be, I get the impression with the modern petrol engines its not just plugs that need changing but that leads & coil packs often fail, the simplicity of the diesel engine makes for low running costs although the EU4,5 & 6 versions are so complicated thats probably no longer true.

I took my 1.9 TDi MK1 Octavia up to 325000 miles and all I ever replaced was one cam belt at a cost of £8, coolant temp sensor for around the same price and an alternator regulator brush pack, maybe £20.

I dont doubt that if you pay the main stealers for servicing they will find a way to make a diesel cost you more.

Agree. Low tech diesels are amazingly cheap. I've run mechanically injected Citroen's and Mitsubishi's in the past for the price of just fuel, oil and filters, and could have run them on chip oil too.

But anything remotely modern has MAF,EGR, DPF, etc to go wrong, not to mention the outrageous cost of CR fuel pumps. 

My recent diesels just have seemed  difficult to keep running reliably, but my last 3 petrols have all been capable of around 50mpg without the pain.

Indeed, things may have crossed the other way.

Even 25 years ago when I got my first chip fat burner the recieved wisdom was that diesels were much more expensive to maintain, it was bullsh1t.

Back in 2016 I was selling a 2003 Euro 4 Diesel turbo direct injection but with No DPF, No Elloys, No DMF.

I had had it 13 years old and did 135 K miles. Car still running today.

I would not buy a newer Diesel Euro 5/6.

I bought a 1.2 TSI petrol ( Fabia ) and have not regretted it at all.

The replacement car ( now 4 years old and at 48K miles ) is faster, smother, quieter and almost as good on fuel at the car it replaced.

Thanks, AG Falco

I have the 12tsi petrol engine in my Toledo. 40-45 mpg if you are careful, more on a long run of course.

All mine's cost me are oil changes and brake services, nothing spent on brakes, I do the work myself.  I've had a new battery and a new set of tyres in 6 years. Engine runs sweet but I change the oil every year even if I've only done around 5k per year for the last two.

Edited by MickA